Patient Comments: Lumbar Spinal Stenosis - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your lumbar spinal stenosis?

Comment from: Deedle, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I have lumbar spinal stenosis. I have suffered with it for a while. I can't walk very far without my legs feeling like I have run a marathon. I have managed with prescription strength ibuprofen, as I refuse to get on prescription drugs no matter what! I have had the shots in the spine. Very short lived, not worth the effort for me. I don't know what the future holds. It saddened me to read what others wrote. I feel for all of you, and share your pain literally!

Comment from: nar1, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I was diagnosed with spinal stenosis, L4-L5 and could walk by sliding my feet one by one. I walked bent over and was in pain 24/7. I opted for surgery as my condition was so progressed neither shots nor pain management alieved the condition, even for a minute. It was the BEST decision I have ever made. I even underwent a discectomy at that time. I was 61 at the time. I went to PT for over 3 months and was a succes story. I am again, 6 years later, suffering from stenosis and disc issues and again, I will opt for surgery if no other solutions offered. I wish all a painfree day.

Comment from: Greg, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

I am a 51 year old male. I fractured my L5 vertebra when I was 25, and had a fusion from L4-S1. I eventually got to where I was swimming Masters level. Years later, at around 40, I damaged the L1-L2 and L2-L3 discs, and these started to leak and degenerate. I had the IDET procedure performed on these about 10 years ago. I did alright after that, but had to start on oral narcotics (methadone) to have any type of "normal" life. About two weeks ago, I lost about 70% use of my right leg, about 30% of my left leg. With agonozing pain. Today I go to pick up MRI films for my doc. I am sure they will be showing disc-protrusions at L1-L2 and/or L2-L3 and/or L3-L4. My guess is the top two. Now what happens? I PRAY he can use lazer-lathroscopic surgery to "trim" the protrusions off. More fusions? No. I'd rather be dead than have more of my spine fused.

Comment from: LIN, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 03

I went with my doctor in March 2011 with a pain that I have never experienced in my life and I was told then that I have lumber spinal stenosis. The pain gets worse when walking and lying down in bed at night I have to lay on my back then on my left side then on my right side and I'm like this for 2 or 3 hours every night the only relief I get is sitting down but when I try to get up I'm bent over as if I am trying to touch my knees. Even when I try to get in the bath I have to lift my legs into the bath I get very unsteady. I really feel as if everyone is looking at me when I walk I would not wish this on anyone.

Comment from: daisy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

Numbness and tingling in 3 middle toes-both feet-and in front of legs to groin area with my lumbar spinal stenosis. Occasional muscle cramp(intense charlie-horse)from neck, down side to the hip. Painful and can last for a while.

Comment from: anniem, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 28

Initially, recurrent right calf pain which progressed to numbness, hypoesthesia both feet, but the right more than the left. Now, severe right hip pain, right leg numbness and weakness, left foot numbness.

Lumbar Spinal Stenosis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with lumbar spinal stenosis.
Lumbar Spinal Stenosis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, therapy, or medication did you receive for lumbar spinal stenosis?