Patient Comments: Lumbar Spinal Stenosis - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your lumbar spinal stenosis?

Comment from: Linda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 29

My spinal stenosis is a part of my life I have to live with. A lot of pain when you do anything, I am currently going to a pain clinic for injections and on pain medications. I was recently approved for disability, as I also have degenerative disk disease. I talked to my doctors about surgery but they say not until they absolutely have to. However my sister also has these problems and is on morphine and pain patches, and now the doctors tell her that her back is too bad for surgery now, so what do you do. Is surgery the thing to do now, or do you wait and let it get worse. Not much of a life, the depression that goes with it also is bad enough. I truly believe this is the way it will be for the rest of my life, and am trying to deal with it. Very rough on your family life also.

Comment from: Marlene, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 29

I recently had surgery for lumbar spinal stenosis. I was falling often and without warning, and nothing I tried seemed to help at all. First I tried cortisone shots, chiropractic, and physical therapy. The surgeon said that he could do a bone transplant, remove a cyst that was interfering with the signals from the nerve to the bone, and hold the vertebra in place with a titanium channel of some kind. All I know is that I am trying to get used to not worrying about falling. It's wonderful! I have the stability now to just live my life again. I don't do skiing or high diving, but then I didn't do those before I had the problem either. I am so much enjoying having my life back.

Comment from: Candy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 09

I have been diagnosed with lumbar spinal stenosis, cervical stenosis, and severe degenerative disc disease. I have had surgery for the lumbar spinal stenosis but three years later I am still in pain and now I have sciatica too. I have tried several medications but nothing helps. Then I tried acupuncture and it cut my pain in half and also helps deal with the stress from the remaining pain.

Comment from: seniorfly, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: April 06

I am 85, male, have had diagnosis of spinal stenosis (no variants specified) for three years. I have never smoked, or used any drugs, but I do use alcohol moderately. The pain is in the lower back and leg muscles, only when standing and walking. I use Hydrocodone which is effective for 6-8 hours. There is no pain if I'm sitting, so I can still drive, and even fly my airplane. I have had five spinal injections, 2 of which worked, one worked on only one side, and the others did not work at all. I had some exercises prescribed, which had no effect at all. The Hydrocodone produces severe constipation, which is controllable with laxative tablets twice a day. I do not detect any increase in severity in the past three years. OTC pain medicines do not have any noticeable effect. Two doctors agreed on the diagnosis, looking at X-rays and MRIs. I hope they know what they are doing.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

Oh boy was I glad to find out I am not alone. I was diagnosed with spinal stenosis two years ago. I never imagined such pain. My quality of my life is nonexistent as I cannot walk or stand for more than ten minutes. Most of my days are spent lying down. My pain medication takes the edge off but nothing really helps. Hang in there everybody.

Comment from: llena40, 45-54 Female Published: January 25

I have spinal stenosis. I have been suffering with this condition for more than two years in a severe state. I had surgery in my neck and my back, and it did nothing. I suffer just has much and it has been over a year and four months later. Lying down is the only relief. To make matters worse, I have diverticulitis and GERD, which adds insult to injury. I cannot take medications anymore because it destroys my stomach, and then I am in the hospital. I would do anything to be pain free for just 48 hours of relief.

Comment from: Barbara, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I'm a 67-year-old female. I've had knee pain and for a year. I've also had back pain for 20 years, so that is nothing new. I just found out that I have spinal stenosis and my L4 and 5 discs are bulging. So I had steroid injections two weeks ago. It didn't help my knee pain, but my back is 50% better. I went back to the doctor yesterday and was put on Neurontin. The doctor said to try that for a month and if it doesn't work, he will do an L4 injection again before sending me to a surgeon. To top it off, I've gained 20 pounds in the last year since I quit walking three miles a day on the tread mill.

Lumbar Spinal Stenosis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with lumbar spinal stenosis.
Lumbar Spinal Stenosis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, therapy, or medication did you receive for lumbar spinal stenosis?