Patient Comments: Lumbar Spinal Stenosis - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your lumbar spinal stenosis?

Comment from: gwmiddy, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: July 18

I have had some back pain since 2008, after having surgery for a ruptured disc. Since that time the back pain has increased, slowly at first. This past year the pain has increased. I have had epidural steroid injections. It worked for me one time out of four. I am now going to a pain management doctor who, after seeing my mri and determining that I have spinal stenosis of the lower lumbar and suggests steroid facet injections. He also mentioned surgery. I am waiting for approval from my insurance. If I do no work I can manage.

Comment from: Shrinking, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 25

Since diagnosis with lumbar spinal stenosis 6 years ago, I am having more severe pain and with my sciatic nerve. Also, I have lost an inch to my height.

Comment from: Beanie 46, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 20

I am a 65-year-old black female. At age 18, I was in the military. I'm from the Deep South. I experienced a severe pain in my right knee, causing me to fall into the fence. (I walked with a cane for a month). I have had problems with my knees ever since. The pain radiated upwards to my thighs. I am now diagnosed with severe-to-moderate lumbar spinal stenosis. Rarely am I free of pain, and it radiated down my right leg to a couple of inches above my knee. I have a problem walking long distances. I was diagnosed with cysts on the left side of my spine. I tried physical therapy once and wound up in the emergency room in excruciating pain. I walked with a walker for about one month. I want to try water aerobics.

Comment from: Dksuccesscoach, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 01

Avoid surgery if possible. I have been challenged with issues due to sports injuries but have pulled through and have been pain free for 15 years through diet yoga and moderate exercise. It will flare up for a couple of weeks if I get too aggressive but I stay positive and use ice and anti inflammatory medication. I can relate to all the concerns but you have to keep a positive outlook and you too will pull through.

Comment from: Angel3535, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 19

I am 35 and at the age of 30 I had an injury and that's when all the problems started. I have 4 herniated disc, lower lumbar spinal stenosis, nerve damage in both legs, arms, and hands. I have been through pain management for years now and I still suffer with intense pain. I have not gotten addicted to the pain pills. I try to tolerate the pain before taking a pain pill. I have tried the Wii fit, Zumba and other exercise routines and still not better. Five years and I still suffer with so much pain. I know it's tough to deal with and you lose out on a lot. My family has suffered because of my injury but my husband of 12 years takes excellent care of me and our 6 kids. Please keep your head up and I know at times you may want to give up but think about your loved ones first. The doctor just wanted to throw a pain pump in my back but I said no. I want to try and get better. Sad part is that I am only getting worse. It's very hard on my family and finances but we get through it with love and support. I deal with intense stabbing pains from my back thru my pelvis and down to my toes. I get severe burning in both of my legs. Every time I walk it feels like I am stepping on a thousand needles. The pain is usually over a 10. I got this at the age of 30 so it doesn't matter what age you may be it can and will affect you and your life.

Comment from: Legpain36, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

I'm 26 years old seemingly younger then others who have posted. I injured my back in Iraq and have been watching the MRI results get worse and more narrow in my right side. Now with severe stenosis I want the surgery but I keep getting the 50/50 speech instead. They find it better to hand out pain medications and patches to get through day to day. It's not what I want. I was finally admitted to a hospital where I feel they may do the surgery now. I have had incontinance more and more over the last few weeks. Also the leg pain has been getting worse and worse to a point where my right leg isn't of any use sometimes. I really need help on this not just pain pills. I'm glad I'm not alone out here. Wish me luck as I am doing for myself and the sake of living my life.

Comment from: Linda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 29

My spinal stenosis is a part of my life I have to live with. A lot of pain when you do anything, I am currently going to a pain clinic for injections and on pain medications. I was recently approved for disability, as I also have degenerative disk disease. I talked to my doctors about surgery but they say not until they absolutely have to. However my sister also has these problems and is on morphine and pain patches, and now the doctors tell her that her back is too bad for surgery now, so what do you do. Is surgery the thing to do now, or do you wait and let it get worse. Not much of a life, the depression that goes with it also is bad enough. I truly believe this is the way it will be for the rest of my life, and am trying to deal with it. Very rough on your family life also.

Lumbar Spinal Stenosis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with lumbar spinal stenosis.
Lumbar Spinal Stenosis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, therapy, or medication did you receive for lumbar spinal stenosis?