Patient Comments: Lumbar Spinal Stenosis - Treatment

What kinds of treatment, therapy, or medication did you receive for lumbar spinal stenosis?

Comment from: Maureen, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: December 06

I have had spinal stenosis for the last three years. I have had numerous spinal injections of cortisone, the last being a lumbar epidural. None have worked. I have been using a morphine patch for the last couple of years, going from 5g to 10mg. I am still in constant pain and cannot walk very far before having to sit down because of pain down my leg. I am now taking Lyrica tablets for the pain, but they do nothing. I have gone from playing golf three times a week, to sitting down for most of the day and rapidly gaining weight!

Comment from: hearkittycat, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 01

Thirty years ago I had 2 slipped discs in lower back because of lifting. Lots of walking, increasing distances and rest therapy got me well in near a year's time. I had a few relapses of short duration and this year from taking a bus tour for a month, climbing in and out of the bus, I have had a rough time getting well again. I swim every day but I can't walk far without sitting and resting. I sometimes have pain in my knees then in the groin. The pain moves around. I have some loss of control over the bladder at times. Bowel movements help the pain to subside. I'm not seeking medical attention since I am getting better by degrees with swimming, resting and taking aspirin when I need it. It's been 5 months and I expect it will take 5 more months.

Comment from: weebdevii, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 06

I have been diagnosed with multiple spinal stenosis in L2 through S1. I am in moderate to severe pain all of the time, I have numbness in both legs and floppy foot on occasion. I was advised by my doctors that surgery is not an option due to the severity of the quantity of vertebrae. I am on moderate to heavy pain medication.

Comment from: twistedj, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I was diagnosed with spondylolisthesis when I was 14. I had a fusion between L3 and L5 when I was 21. At 23 I had another surgery to remove bone away from the nerves. Now at 54 I am told I have Spinal Stenosis below where my surgeries were performed. I have lived with problems for over 40 years. I have seen many orthopedic doctors over the years. I have had the pain injections that made me feel so much more pain and pressure. I have been told that there is nothing anyone can do. I have old nerve damage and new nerve damage according to the doctors. I am on 3 different pain medications and I still hurt every day. I finally gave up trying to work after 36 years because it is too hard for me to stand or sit for any amount of time. I don't want to live on pain medications, but what else can I do? I won't have any more surgery because all that does is create more scare tissue to form, which closes off the spinal canal even more. I am looking at being in a wheelchair within the next few years as my legs get weaker. This is not the kind of life I wanted.

Lumbar Spinal Stenosis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with lumbar spinal stenosis.
Lumbar Spinal Stenosis - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your lumbar spinal stenosis?