Patient Comments: Lumbar Spinal Stenosis - Experience

Please describe your experience with lumbar spinal stenosis.

Comment from: Wilhelm, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 23

In 1988 I had back surgery due to ruptured disc; after surgery my diagnosis was failback. I have lumbar spinal stenosis with radiculopathy, with numbness of bilateral legs and feet. My right foot is totally numb. About 3 months ago I have had sciatica, it is the most painful thing I have experienced. It feels like a lightning bolt has struck me in both legs. I am unable to walk for long distances and unable to sleep. I have had to live with chronic back pain since a young man, and I would not wish this on anyone. Thank you for letting me share this. Good luck to all that have this diagnosis, one day we will be pain free.

Comment from: Waterdoc, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 06

I am 56 and first was diagnosed with lumbar spinal stenosis about 5 years ago. This began as a tingling in the leg and radiated down to the knee. Stopping and bending for a short time once worked. Then medication got involved, but now the pain is getting unbearable, as my job requires walking anywhere from 3 to 5 miles a day in the facility. I am not a fan of invasive surgery as my wife had 9 back surgeries, and it has not turned out well. I am currently looking into the new laser surgery for this, as it requires a 2" maximum incision and much less down time. The drawback is finding a doctor in my area that is trained for this surgical procedure. The closest is a mere 700 miles from my home. I feel for all those who are going through this as I know your pain, and unless you have or have gone through it, there is no way for another to understand. Hopefully technology makes rapid advancements for spinal diseases like ours. Best of luck to you all.

Comment from: Jean, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 12

I just found out today that I have lumbar spinal stenosis. I was at a spine center having my very first steroid injection, when the doctor mentioned the results of my MRI showing this. At first I was to have a caudal spinal block, but once he saw the MRI results he changed that injection to be more specific as to where my problem is generating from. This diagnosis is scaring me as to what my future holds. All I know is the pain is unbearable! I"ve had back pain every now and then due to what I thought was scoliosis. I actually thought that may have worsened but when he told me this I was shocked. I"ve been in contact with the spine center for pain medications. I"m allergic to all narcotics and the nurse mentioned possible muscle relaxers. I need relief!

Comment from: bcrone, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I was diagnosed with lumbar spinal stenosis, arthritis, and a herniated disc at around 40. My family does have a history of back problems. I also have malformed hip sockets which caused the labrum to be injured. I have had surgery to repair on the left hip. I was told to take ibuprofen at 2400 mg a day, which I cannot take any longer due to ulcers they have caused. I am in so much pain at night it is unbearable. I am waking up at least 10 times per night to have to adjust and stretch. We have not had health insurance in several years so there has been no follow up. I dread living 40 more years like this! I am hoping to get insurance soon so this can be taken care of.

Comment from: Ross, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 07

I am a 45 year old male, in shape and very athletic but recently I started experiencing pain in my upper right shoulder/back area. The pain became very intense and started to cause numbing in my arm. I visited my doctor and he sent me to get an x-ray. After the x-ray, my doctor informed me that I have degenerative joint disease and lumbar spinal stenosis. I was diagnosed with Osgood-Schlatter disease when I was 16, I don't know if there is any association. I've always had pain in my knee areas so I didn't notice the pain. The only pain I've experienced prior to this news was pain in my right buttock. I go for MRI tomorrow, hoping no surgery!

Comment from: vernBack, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 26

I have been under a pain clinic care for the past 3 years for lower back pain. I'm Taking Percocet 7.5-325 and morphine sulfate 15 mg ER-MAL tablet. The medication was keeping me almost pain free. The doctor decided I needed an epidural. During the injection I felt a cold solution going down both my legs and my feet. Shouldn"t I have felt something in my lower back? The nurse came and told me it was time to get up and go home. As I tried to stand up my legs collapsed. I was totally numb from waist through my toes but my lower back was pain free. After the 3rd day I started feeling lower back pain and still have lower back pain 3 1/2 weeks later. My next appointment is 6 weeks from now. I don"t think this was a normal epidural.

Lumbar Spinal Stenosis - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your lumbar spinal stenosis?
Lumbar Spinal Stenosis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, therapy, or medication did you receive for lumbar spinal stenosis?