Patient Comments: Lumbar Spinal Stenosis - Experience

Please describe your experience with lumbar spinal stenosis.

Comment from: tracy1969, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

I have lumbar spinal stenosis and degenerative disease. I have had double hip replacements in 2014 at the age of 45. I have thigh pain now and sometimes I can't walk. I sit most days in fear, the more I do the worse it is. This is no way to live. I am glad I am not the only one. I am scared to have surgery so I am starting pain management in 6 weeks. Hope they can help. My back pain is getting worse. I have had enough of this. No one else gets it if they are not living it.

Comment from: Bobby, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 15

At work I helped a co-worker carry an office desk up two flights of stairs, after which my legs started to pain and I had extreme pressure in my ankle. Then I was diagnosed with severe spinal stenosis. I had a laminectomy and epidural injections. This made me worse than I was. Now I deal with pain every day. My latest MRI and x-ray were reviewed by a reputable surgeon, he said I don't overstate the pain and I'll have to take medication for life. It is extremely painful and coping without help would make living everyday life impossible.

Comment from: Justice, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 09

Spinal stenosis is a miserable disease. When my doctor first informed me that I had it, I asked him what kinds of exercises I can do to make it better. I was in great shape. I was an avid hiker and had climbed a lot of mountains. I could carry a 30 lb. pack, my rifle plus a western style strap on 22 magnum Colt and ammunition plus a canteen, up any hill in sight of my city. Then my back started to hurt toward the end of my hike and after a few months I was having trouble in the middle of my hike and soon I was just walking around my neighborhood. I was taking long breaks and resting, thinking I had just pulled something. That is called denial. My doctor said exercising makes it worse. I have had it now for about ten years and a shopping trip will put me in bed some days. I have had shots and was addicted to morphine for a couple of years. I applied for disability because I could not walk to my car on some days. If you have been diagnosed with this disease don't get into narcotics to kill the pain. You will wind up with another problem that will ruin your life. Get help from a specialist in stenosis right now, before it gets worse. Try epidurals without narcotics in the injection and take OTC medicines or those that are anti-inflammatory medicines. Get ready for back braces and pain. Take it easy when you are in pain and hope they find something that is a sure cure. Nothing out there is a sure cure. Just don't get on pain medicines that have opiates in them.

Comment from: NAck, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I developed pain in my legs while walking, about 4 or 5 years ago and went to a prompt care facility. They said I had classic arthritis and put me on the lowest dose of meloxicam which I continued with until recently. The pain has gotten much worse recently so I made an appointment with my primary physician with the intent of upping my medication. He asked me some questions and said he doesn't think I have arthritis and ordered me an MRI and made a follow-up appointment with a spine specialist. He strongly suspects lumbar spinal stenosis with claudication or something or other. Anyway, my journey begins.

Comment from: Ribbs, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 24

I am 62 have had both knees replaced 2 years ago and a triple CABG (coronary artery bypass graft) 2 years ago. Now I have lumbar spinal stenosis, it is hard to walk far and when walking up steps it makes it hard to breathe at times. I am trying to last out the winter and have a laminectomy done in March if I can last that long.

Comment from: Mohammad, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 21

I am a 40 years old male, having back pain since last 3 years but it was on and off so I ignored it. Six months ago pain started in all joints of my body and it was unbearable. I went to a specialist and he did so many tests but all were negative. Finally I was sent to MRI which showed L4 disc sacralized in lumbar area, disc desiccation in C3 C4, and mild bulge in C4, C5 and C6. I am unable to bend more than 1 minute, can't lift any object as doctor warned me my disc can rupture with only a little pressure. I have osteoarthritis in both knees, shoulders hurt, elbow hurts, wrist pains and all finger joints hurt. I am very depressed, not interested in life at all but still I have to live to raise my 2 small kids.

Lumbar Spinal Stenosis - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your lumbar spinal stenosis?
Lumbar Spinal Stenosis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, therapy, or medication did you receive for lumbar spinal stenosis?