Patient Comments: Lumbar Spinal Stenosis - Experience

Please describe your experience with lumbar spinal stenosis.

Comment from: sammy, 55-64 (Patient) Published: March 19

The most humiliating thing about lumbar spinal stenosis is that there's no control over bladder or bowel movements. I don't know when it is going to happen and cannot "hold it” till I get to the bathroom.

Comment from: Connie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I had surgery in June 2012, spinal fusion of the L-3, 4 and 5. I would tell anyone concerned whether to have this surgery, try everything else first. I am in extreme pain every day.

Comment from: Erics, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 10

I was diagnosed with lumbar stenosis about 3 months ago. Tried the epidural that only lasted 2 days. I haven't been given any thing for pain. I told the Doctor that just walking around the yard picking up dog dirt and my legs start to ache and I have to sit down for awhile, then finish up. It is hard going up stairs, shopping with my wife or playing with my grand kids. I have constant pain in my back like spasm's. My doctor is conservative doesn't offer a lot of help. I already was diagnosed with arthritis in my feet and I have gout in my knee's. Starting to get pain in my arms and joints. Getting old sucks sometimes.

Comment from: pan_dora58, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I was diagnosed with moderate/severe spinal stenosis and degenerative disc of L3-L5 approximately six years ago when I was unable to walk. As I would walk, my legs would not work, even though I could feel them there. Surgery was done to relieve the pressure on the nerves, but outside of relieving the excruciating pain; there has really been no relief. I do have the epidural shots, which help for several months at a time; sometimes only two months. Currently, this one has worked for five months. I also take an NSAID every day, but was recently given a back brace and 10-mg of Vicodin, which I rarely take. My pain management doctor told me about a new procedure still being researched in which DNA is injected into the disc and it regenerates. It should be available in approximately five years. So, in the meantime I would suggest to everyone to seek out a pain management professional who suits your needs and just doesn't shove pills at you.

Comment from: PC Louisiana, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

I have been diagnosed with spinal stenosis between L3-L4. I had a double fusion last year on L4-L5, L5-S1. I also had a total hip replacement six weeks ago. My problem is my lower back is painful during the physical therapy and to relieve the back pain by bending forward is not possible because of the restrictions on my hip. I experience leg pain and numbness in my toes frequently, but it seems to be more predominant at night. I do have degenerative bone disease and since the hip surgery, I have lost 30 pounds and am continuing to loose weight. I was told that a chiropractor could help, but I am afraid it could also hurt me more than help me.

Comment from: Wanda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

I just found out I have lumbar spinal stenosis. I work in a kindergarten class. The constant bending was killing my back, so I went and had an MRI. I have pains that shoot down the back of my legs when I walk. I am on painkillers and use a heating pad. I have the options of shots in the back or surgery to put spacers in my spine. I'm not sure yet what I'm going to do.

Published: November 11

I'm a 48-year-old female diagnosed with lumbar (4-5) stenosis. My discomfort began to increase when driving the car. I experienced sciatica pain down the right buttock and leg. I am afraid that the symptoms will significantly worsen as the arthritis erodes my back further. At this point, I don't have too much pain, and sometimes I don't have any. I'm about to start physical therapy and have been taking calcium and vitamin D.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 28

I am a 47 year old male an have been living with stenosis L4&L5 for the last six years. I had one shot many years ago, but having a six inch needle in my back was not for me. So for the last five years I have been going to a chiropractor once a month. My pain has 90% gone away.

Lumbar Spinal Stenosis - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your lumbar spinal stenosis?
Lumbar Spinal Stenosis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, therapy, or medication did you receive for lumbar spinal stenosis?