Patient Comments: Lumbar Spinal Stenosis - Experience

Please describe your experience with lumbar spinal stenosis.

Comment from: clara, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 02

The pain began just above my knees and it hurt intensively when I walked. My back never hurt at all. One day, I had an appointment with my general practitioner who sent me to a specialist who dealt with muscle pain. He actually said, "I don't know what is causing your pain." The pain became so intense that I went to my general practitioner. I hurt so badly that I sat on the floor outside his office and cried. He took an x-ray of my back and I was referred to a specialist who did a CT scan of my back and diagnosed the problem as spinal stenosis. I had surgery. I have wondered if there is a connection Osgood-Schlatter and spinal stenosis. I was diagnosed with Osgood-Schlatter disease when I was young. My knees hurt all the time and I had to sleep with a pillow between my legs to be able to sleep and night. I have knots on my knees and knots on the sides of my feet from this. I know both are bone related. I also have a niece who had Osgood-Schlatter as a child.

Comment from: gisaacson, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I have been seeing doctors for about 10 years. I was diagnosed with degenerative disc disorder spinal stenosis with 3 herniated discs causing sciatica. fibromyalgia and arthritis. I am in pain all the time. I had two discectomy, the first did not take, in the recovery stage it came back. With the second, it is the same thing now. They are afraid to do a fusion, they said they are waiting for the last option. What I am wondering is what else can they do for me. It is so hard to cope.

Comment from: TKO, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 01

I feel so sorry for all of you. I had lumbar spinal stenosis and sciatica pain for 3 years. I could barely function but I did have the surgery and now I am 95 percent pain free. It was the best thing I ever did. Don't keep putting off surgery, it may be your best option.

Comment from: tuna, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I am 32 years, I was diagnosed with lumbar spinal stenosis via MRI in 2012, but the pain started sometimes in 2009. They say it has damaged my L2 to L5, the pain is too much. I never thought there were people who are in pain just like me. The worst is, I am not getting any help since I am using government hospital. I thought of giving up but now knowing that am not alone has given me hope, I hope that we will all be healed.

Comment from: vernBack, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 26

I have been under a pain clinic care for the past 3 years for lower back pain. I'm Taking Percocet 7.5-325 and morphine sulfate 15 mg ER-MAL tablet. The medication was keeping me almost pain free. The doctor decided I needed an epidural. During the injection I felt a cold solution going down both my legs and my feet. Shouldn"t I have felt something in my lower back? The nurse came and told me it was time to get up and go home. As I tried to stand up my legs collapsed. I was totally numb from waist through my toes but my lower back was pain free. After the 3rd day I started feeling lower back pain and still have lower back pain 3 1/2 weeks later. My next appointment is 6 weeks from now. I don"t think this was a normal epidural.

Comment from: Isabelle, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

I have not been officially diagnosed with lumbar spinal stenosis except by an MRI that the chiropractor had me have done. First I had acupuncture for the pain with no result. Then I went to the chiropractor and after about 4 sessions with no relief he ordered the MRI. A few years before the chiropractor had helped my different conditions like muscle spasms, etc. I was moderately active and care for a Parkinson's patient. The most relief I have found aside from painkillers is resting or sleeping in a hammock. I have seriously considered buying one with a stand for bedroom as I can"t find relief from leg pain anywhere and the mosquitoes on porch can transmit dengue. My sister says the curve of the hammock is what helps, hope it helps you!

Comment from: MaryFlorida, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

Three years ago, suffering from "burning feet", my doctor ordered a nerve conduction test. It was negative but the doctors agreed that I had small fiber neuropathy. I moved, so changed doctors. I was taking Vicodin for pain. The new pain doctor just continued giving me drugs. I developed auditory hallucinations; still just drugs. I transferred to a new pain doctor, who ordered tests again plus an MRI. He said I have lumbar spinal stenosis and will be starting with the injections. I feel I have suffered for so long unnecessarily since I have been misdiagnosed. I am taking more personal responsibility for my health, rather than just accepting diagnoses which may be right or wrong.

Lumbar Spinal Stenosis - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your lumbar spinal stenosis?
Lumbar Spinal Stenosis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, therapy, or medication did you receive for lumbar spinal stenosis?