Patient Comments: Lumbar Spinal Stenosis - Experience

Please describe your experience with lumbar spinal stenosis.

Comment from: Ross, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 07

I am a 45 year old male, in shape and very athletic but recently I started experiencing pain in my upper right shoulder/back area. The pain became very intense and started to cause numbing in my arm. I visited my doctor and he sent me to get an x-ray. After the x-ray, my doctor informed me that I have degenerative joint disease and lumbar spinal stenosis. I was diagnosed with Osgood-Schlatter disease when I was 16, I don't know if there is any association. I've always had pain in my knee areas so I didn't notice the pain. The only pain I've experienced prior to this news was pain in my right buttock. I go for MRI tomorrow, hoping no surgery!

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: dhoom, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 27

He is aged 72 years and suffering from spinal stenosis (L4-L5) due to which he had gait problems and lower back pain. He underwent spine surgery a year ago. Now the pain has subsided but he still feels heaviness in legs due to which he can't walk much (500 meters maximum) and steps are small. We were asked to meet a neurologist and did a CT SCAN and MRI scan which show acute lacunar infarct, chronic infarct and some age related changes in the brain. The neurologist suspected it to be Parkinson-Plus syndrome and has prescribed tablets like rivastigmine, Parkitidin and Piranulin which he is taking since one month, after which there is some improvement in balancing, memory and urinary incontinence he had, but heaviness in legs is still an issue.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: Quaydee, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I am a female, 71 years of age and have been diagnosed with lumbar spinal stenosis since 2002. I have had it since my 40s but the pain was manageable and only occurred after extensive walking and responded quickly to my leaning forward and letting my back stretch for 30 seconds or so. Now, I have mild peripheral neuropathy in both feet and calves and can only walk short distances and stand for short amounts of time then the pain spreads to my sacrum, coccyx and hips and I cannot swing my legs at all without grinding pain. I am about to start my second session of physical therapy but have discovered that the absolute best pain relief for me is ice so I grab a bag of frozen peas and put it down my pants if there is nothing else handy. The pain dissolves in 20 minutes. There is also a device called a Breg PC cube that you can buy that continuously passes ice water through a pad that works beautifully. It's a bit expensive but if you can have your doctor proscribe it perhaps insurance will cover. Try the frozen peas first to see if cold relieves your pain then look into the cooler. I hope this helps someone else with pain, it's no cure but a bit of relief is better than nothing.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: clara, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 02

The pain began just above my knees and it hurt intensively when I walked. My back never hurt at all. One day, I had an appointment with my general practitioner who sent me to a specialist who dealt with muscle pain. He actually said, "I don't know what is causing your pain." The pain became so intense that I went to my general practitioner. I hurt so badly that I sat on the floor outside his office and cried. He took an x-ray of my back and I was referred to a specialist who did a CT scan of my back and diagnosed the problem as spinal stenosis. I had surgery. I have wondered if there is a connection Osgood-Schlatter and spinal stenosis. I was diagnosed with Osgood-Schlatter disease when I was young. My knees hurt all the time and I had to sleep with a pillow between my legs to be able to sleep and night. I have knots on my knees and knots on the sides of my feet from this. I know both are bone related. I also have a niece who had Osgood-Schlatter as a child.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: gisaacson, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I have been seeing doctors for about 10 years. I was diagnosed with degenerative disc disorder spinal stenosis with 3 herniated discs causing sciatica. fibromyalgia and arthritis. I am in pain all the time. I had two discectomy, the first did not take, in the recovery stage it came back. With the second, it is the same thing now. They are afraid to do a fusion, they said they are waiting for the last option. What I am wondering is what else can they do for me. It is so hard to cope.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: TKO, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 01

I feel so sorry for all of you. I had lumbar spinal stenosis and sciatica pain for 3 years. I could barely function but I did have the surgery and now I am 95 percent pain free. It was the best thing I ever did. Don't keep putting off surgery, it may be your best option.

Was this comment helpful?Yes

Patient Comments

Viewers share their comments

Lumbar Spinal Stenosis - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your lumbar spinal stenosis?
Lumbar Spinal Stenosis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, therapy, or medication did you receive for lumbar spinal stenosis?

Patient Comments are not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your physician or other qualified health provider because of something you have read on MedicineNet. The opinions expressed in the comments section are of the author and the author alone. MedicineNet does not endorse any specific product, service or treatment.

Alert If you think you have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately.

Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration

You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.