Patient Comments: Lumbar Spinal Stenosis - Experience

Please describe your experience with lumbar spinal stenosis.

Comment from: Anthon, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 21

I am 58 years old and have been suffering from severe back pain for 30 months. I have been diagnosed with lumbar spinal stenosis. I have taken strong painkillers which had no effect. I am currently taking 50 mg morphine, Oramorph, pregabalin, naproxen and paracetamol. Last week I opted for an operation.

Comment from: Bobby, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: January 21

I am nearly 79 years old and have had spinal problems since I first injured the lumber area doing gymnastics in 1961. I was not treated for 9 months; just given pain killers. I ended up in hospital for a month, 2 weeks on traction, 2 weeks on my back, then 11 weeks in a plaster cast from chin to crotch. I was then fitted with a steel reinforced corset which I wore for 2 years. Fortunately I had done remedial gymnastics and at the end of an extremely painful period of self-physiotherapy I threw the corset away and went back to sports and gymnastics. I injured discs in my cervical region felling trees with an axe. A chiropractor cured that but I now need continual treatment to relieve the pain. When I was about 68 my back problems started to return and over a period of years I had 4 lots of epidurals injection in my back. These provided temporary relief for up to 9 months. I can no longer have these due to other medications. Some years ago a consultant said I could have noninvasive surgery. I am now told no chance, too expensive.

Comment from: dawlinInVa, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 24

I am 56 year old female with history of upper back problems. Osteo and disc degeneration runs in the family. I had my first cervical surgery at age 26, and C3-C7 fused in 2004 with great results. I have had lower back pain for last 4 years and have dismissed it to getting older and putting on weight. I had MRI done and just learned today T-1, L1-L5, and S1 are bulging and have spinal stenosis. Wow. Maybe I waited too long. Seeing a spine specialist in my area in couple of weeks. Don't wait if you are in pain.

Comment from: BadBack4Life, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 14

I had my first back problem at 17. I have had many surgeries, therapies, procedures for the past 30 years. At age 49 I was finally properly diagnosed with congenital spinal stenosis. I am missing several discs and my surgeons say my vertebrae have rubbed away so much my pain sensors are gone. I do not have much pain anymore, but I do get dizzy and pass out due to the pressure on my spinal cord. When that starts happening I have to have surgery or I will die, according to my doctors. I have times when standing or sitting is impossible, so I move my body a lot. I have stenosis in every level of my spine. I had a spinal cord brain injury due to this condition, but I consider myself lucky to be alive (I almost died twice this year). I exercise every day, do not use drugs (use opiates only for a short time after surgery), watch my diet and weight, and try to swim as often as I am able to. I do my physical therapy daily and plan my day around my spine issue.

Comment from: reed, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

I was diagnosed with stenosis in the canal that holds the sciatica nerve, last year. I'm in varying pain from 2001 until now, but told it was just my imagination. Weird thing is, I'm 35, and having these problems. Along with the numbness and shooting pain, instead of losing control of bowels and bladder, mine seize when flare ups occur. This leads to multiple urinary tract infections (UTIs). Lots of tripping and twisted knee or ankle since I have to guess where my foot is and where the balance is. I'd like to be as active as I once was, but it seems the more I exercise, the more severe the flare ups. Good to see it's not just me, even thought I'd never wish it on another person.

Comment from: Patty, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I am a 55 and have had spinal stenosis, budging and protruding disc problems for about 10 years now. I also have inoperable non-cancerous cysts on the nerve root of my spine. I have taken over the counter medications (helped for a little while), done injections in the back (no relief at all), and have been on pain medications for several years (provides some relief but not much). Surgery is going to be my next option. I too was having problems with incontinence. Once I started hurting really bad, I could not hold it in long enough to get to the bathroom. Needless to say I was always getting embarrassed. My general physician referred me to a urologist who put a Medtronic bladder stimulation system in. This stopped me from having those embarrassing situations. So for those of you having problems controlling your bladder, I urge you to check into this. I really hope this is a helpful tip for those needing it. I was so relieved when I got mine. The only way I get relief from my pain is to keep changing positions, from walking to sitting to laying, etc. As far as sleep goes what is that! I am up 6 to 10 times a night. I wouldn"t know what to do if I could sleep a whole night through.

Lumbar Spinal Stenosis - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your lumbar spinal stenosis?
Lumbar Spinal Stenosis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, therapy, or medication did you receive for lumbar spinal stenosis?