Patient Comments: Lumbar Spinal Stenosis - Experience

Please describe your experience with lumbar spinal stenosis.

Comment from: gisaacson, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I have been seeing doctors for about 10 years. I was diagnosed with degenerative disc disorder spinal stenosis with 3 herniated discs causing sciatica. fibromyalgia and arthritis. I am in pain all the time. I had two discectomy, the first did not take, in the recovery stage it came back. With the second, it is the same thing now. They are afraid to do a fusion, they said they are waiting for the last option. What I am wondering is what else can they do for me. It is so hard to cope.

Comment from: vernBack, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 26

I have been under a pain clinic care for the past 3 years for lower back pain. I'm Taking Percocet 7.5-325 and morphine sulfate 15 mg ER-MAL tablet. The medication was keeping me almost pain free. The doctor decided I needed an epidural. During the injection I felt a cold solution going down both my legs and my feet. Shouldn"t I have felt something in my lower back? The nurse came and told me it was time to get up and go home. As I tried to stand up my legs collapsed. I was totally numb from waist through my toes but my lower back was pain free. After the 3rd day I started feeling lower back pain and still have lower back pain 3 1/2 weeks later. My next appointment is 6 weeks from now. I don"t think this was a normal epidural.

Comment from: Isabelle, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

I have not been officially diagnosed with lumbar spinal stenosis except by an MRI that the chiropractor had me have done. First I had acupuncture for the pain with no result. Then I went to the chiropractor and after about 4 sessions with no relief he ordered the MRI. A few years before the chiropractor had helped my different conditions like muscle spasms, etc. I was moderately active and care for a Parkinson's patient. The most relief I have found aside from painkillers is resting or sleeping in a hammock. I have seriously considered buying one with a stand for bedroom as I can"t find relief from leg pain anywhere and the mosquitoes on porch can transmit dengue. My sister says the curve of the hammock is what helps, hope it helps you!

Comment from: MaryFlorida, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

Three years ago, suffering from "burning feet", my doctor ordered a nerve conduction test. It was negative but the doctors agreed that I had small fiber neuropathy. I moved, so changed doctors. I was taking Vicodin for pain. The new pain doctor just continued giving me drugs. I developed auditory hallucinations; still just drugs. I transferred to a new pain doctor, who ordered tests again plus an MRI. He said I have lumbar spinal stenosis and will be starting with the injections. I feel I have suffered for so long unnecessarily since I have been misdiagnosed. I am taking more personal responsibility for my health, rather than just accepting diagnoses which may be right or wrong.

Comment from: backbones, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 14

I've traded in my conventional bed for a universal position electrically run chair (though not thoroughly universal). I sleep in it and use it to sit in different positions for reading. I use a few specifically shaped and sized pillows. The dip puts my spine into an immediate painless position. It also positions me so that I don't have to pull or push to get out, as it brings me as close to a standing position to almost walk out as I need providing no strain on the back muscles. It also moves very slowly so I remain in charge of when and where it starts and stops.

Comment from: Boo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I am 46, and was diagnosed about 8 years ago with spinal stenosis. It bothered me when doing dishes, and at that time, it was OK to live with. Last January, it started to act up, and by March, I could feel it getting worse. I saw the doctor in February; they gave me cortisone shot, no help! I was diagnosed with degenerative disc disease and spinal stenosis, and after 4 months of testing, they said i had a bulging disc, a pinched nerve at S1, and L4 and L5 had severe spinal stenosis. I had double fusion on L4 L5, and decompression on the S1, on August 25th. It's Dec 11th, and I go back to the doctor, the second time since surgery with more pain, not less. I had a hard time walking a short distance before surgery, where I had to find a chair to sit on right away, or I'd fall over, and now it's back to that. I'm overweight and do smoke, so I know that's part of it, but shouldn't I see SOME improvement? The only thing that did go away was the numbness and tingling from the sciatic nerve, but that's it. What will they tell me tomorrow? I just want my life back, I can't stand this chronic pain, and pressure. They won't prescribe any more pain pills, my ortho, or my regular PCP. I know, addiction risks, but at least those took the edge off, even if I took one of two at night before bed so I can sleep without pain. Lying down is the only pain free place for me, and sometimes it takes hours before the pain subsides after I go to bed.

Lumbar Spinal Stenosis - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your lumbar spinal stenosis?
Lumbar Spinal Stenosis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, therapy, or medication did you receive for lumbar spinal stenosis?