Patient Comments: Lumbar Spinal Stenosis - Experience

Please describe your experience with lumbar spinal stenosis.

Comment from: Dee4Dolphin, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

There is hope for people with lumbar spinal stenosis. Extreme and chronic sciatic pain kept me semi and fully bedridden for 35 years, I am now 72 years old. Hydrotherapy 3 to 4 times a week for 3 years has restored my body strength to regain an active and normal life again. Ice and heat packs with low dose Lyrica deals with any pain as I continue to get stronger and stronger every day. I use a Mantra 'every day, I am getting stronger, mentally and physically.' Say it 4 times a day. Then, find your passion and re-connect again to the love energy of nature and your Life!

Comment from: ann k., 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I had treatment for herniated disc (lumbar spinal stenosis), MRI scan and then deadening the nerve. I had good result.

Comment from: Teddy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 06

I am 54 and developed severe lumbar spinal stenosis very quickly. I have severe (unbearable) pain when standing longer than about 5 minutes, and the same with walking. I also experience numbness and tingling down one leg and foot, which is getting worse. After consultations with a spinal specialist, I am going for surgery as soon as possible. This is no way to live. Also, after experiencing recent air travel (long distances in airports), I am opting to use a wheelchair for walking outside the home. It seems the only practical solution for maintaining mobility.

Comment from: D, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 03

I have suffered from lumbar spinal stenosis for 5 to 7 years, the past 2 years being progressively worse in terms of a burning sciatica sensation down my left leg. In November 2014 I decided to have the MILD (minimally invasive lumbar decompression) procedure on L4/L5. At first I was ecstatic as the burning was gone, and flexibility and strength were returning. I was hoping it was from the MILD procedure and not the cortisone that was injected. Approximately 6 weeks after the procedure the burning has started. It is different than before, in some ways not as severe as before and in some ways more severe particularly when I wake up in the morning. I also can't lay on my left side very long as the pain increases. I am interested in others' experiences with MILD or what has helped them with their stenosis.

Comment from: Anthon, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 21

I am 58 years old and have been suffering from severe back pain for 30 months. I have been diagnosed with lumbar spinal stenosis. I have taken strong painkillers which had no effect. I am currently taking 50 mg morphine, Oramorph, pregabalin, naproxen and paracetamol. Last week I opted for an operation.

Comment from: Bobby, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: January 21

I am nearly 79 years old and have had spinal problems since I first injured the lumber area doing gymnastics in 1961. I was not treated for 9 months; just given pain killers. I ended up in hospital for a month, 2 weeks on traction, 2 weeks on my back, then 11 weeks in a plaster cast from chin to crotch. I was then fitted with a steel reinforced corset which I wore for 2 years. Fortunately I had done remedial gymnastics and at the end of an extremely painful period of self-physiotherapy I threw the corset away and went back to sports and gymnastics. I injured discs in my cervical region felling trees with an axe. A chiropractor cured that but I now need continual treatment to relieve the pain. When I was about 68 my back problems started to return and over a period of years I had 4 lots of epidurals injection in my back. These provided temporary relief for up to 9 months. I can no longer have these due to other medications. Some years ago a consultant said I could have noninvasive surgery. I am now told no chance, too expensive.

Comment from: dawlinInVa, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 24

I am 56 year old female with history of upper back problems. Osteo and disc degeneration runs in the family. I had my first cervical surgery at age 26, and C3-C7 fused in 2004 with great results. I have had lower back pain for last 4 years and have dismissed it to getting older and putting on weight. I had MRI done and just learned today T-1, L1-L5, and S1 are bulging and have spinal stenosis. Wow. Maybe I waited too long. Seeing a spine specialist in my area in couple of weeks. Don't wait if you are in pain.

Lumbar Spinal Stenosis - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your lumbar spinal stenosis?
Lumbar Spinal Stenosis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, therapy, or medication did you receive for lumbar spinal stenosis?