Patient Comments: Lumbar Spinal Stenosis - Experience

Please describe your experience with lumbar spinal stenosis.

Comment from: Isabelle, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

I have not been officially diagnosed with lumbar spinal stenosis except by an MRI that the chiropractor had me have done. First I had acupuncture for the pain with no result. Then I went to the chiropractor and after about 4 sessions with no relief he ordered the MRI. A few years before the chiropractor had helped my different conditions like muscle spasms, etc. I was moderately active and care for a Parkinson's patient. The most relief I have found aside from painkillers is resting or sleeping in a hammock. I have seriously considered buying one with a stand for bedroom as I can"t find relief from leg pain anywhere and the mosquitoes on porch can transmit dengue. My sister says the curve of the hammock is what helps, hope it helps you!

Comment from: sammy, 55-64 (Patient) Published: March 19

The most humiliating thing about lumbar spinal stenosis is that there's no control over bladder or bowel movements. I don't know when it is going to happen and cannot "hold it” till I get to the bathroom.

Comment from: Quaydee, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I am a female, 71 years of age and have been diagnosed with lumbar spinal stenosis since 2002. I have had it since my 40s but the pain was manageable and only occurred after extensive walking and responded quickly to my leaning forward and letting my back stretch for 30 seconds or so. Now, I have mild peripheral neuropathy in both feet and calves and can only walk short distances and stand for short amounts of time then the pain spreads to my sacrum, coccyx and hips and I cannot swing my legs at all without grinding pain. I am about to start my second session of physical therapy but have discovered that the absolute best pain relief for me is ice so I grab a bag of frozen peas and put it down my pants if there is nothing else handy. The pain dissolves in 20 minutes. There is also a device called a Breg PC cube that you can buy that continuously passes ice water through a pad that works beautifully. It's a bit expensive but if you can have your doctor proscribe it perhaps insurance will cover. Try the frozen peas first to see if cold relieves your pain then look into the cooler. I hope this helps someone else with pain, it's no cure but a bit of relief is better than nothing.

Comment from: clara, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 02

The pain began just above my knees and it hurt intensively when I walked. My back never hurt at all. One day, I had an appointment with my general practitioner who sent me to a specialist who dealt with muscle pain. He actually said, "I don't know what is causing your pain." The pain became so intense that I went to my general practitioner. I hurt so badly that I sat on the floor outside his office and cried. He took an x-ray of my back and I was referred to a specialist who did a CT scan of my back and diagnosed the problem as spinal stenosis. I had surgery. I have wondered if there is a connection Osgood-Schlatter and spinal stenosis. I was diagnosed with Osgood-Schlatter disease when I was young. My knees hurt all the time and I had to sleep with a pillow between my legs to be able to sleep and night. I have knots on my knees and knots on the sides of my feet from this. I know both are bone related. I also have a niece who had Osgood-Schlatter as a child.

Comment from: gisaacson, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I have been seeing doctors for about 10 years. I was diagnosed with degenerative disc disorder spinal stenosis with 3 herniated discs causing sciatica. fibromyalgia and arthritis. I am in pain all the time. I had two discectomy, the first did not take, in the recovery stage it came back. With the second, it is the same thing now. They are afraid to do a fusion, they said they are waiting for the last option. What I am wondering is what else can they do for me. It is so hard to cope.

Comment from: MaryFlorida, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

Three years ago, suffering from "burning feet", my doctor ordered a nerve conduction test. It was negative but the doctors agreed that I had small fiber neuropathy. I moved, so changed doctors. I was taking Vicodin for pain. The new pain doctor just continued giving me drugs. I developed auditory hallucinations; still just drugs. I transferred to a new pain doctor, who ordered tests again plus an MRI. He said I have lumbar spinal stenosis and will be starting with the injections. I feel I have suffered for so long unnecessarily since I have been misdiagnosed. I am taking more personal responsibility for my health, rather than just accepting diagnoses which may be right or wrong.

Lumbar Spinal Stenosis - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your lumbar spinal stenosis?
Lumbar Spinal Stenosis - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, therapy, or medication did you receive for lumbar spinal stenosis?