Patient Comments: Low Testosterone (Low T) - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience when your testosterone levels dropped?

Comment from: June T, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 10

I am 38 and had a partial hysterectomy almost 3 years ago. Since then my ovaries have significantly decreased in size. My T levels were super low at a 5! My doctor put me on Testosterone cream to use nightly but the side effects are a nuisance. It greatly increases my desires which are not always a good thing. My fear & concern is the long term effects on my body by me not using the cream. I'm already at risk for bone loss/Osteoporosis due to my hysterectomy and failing ovaries. Since i am only in my late 30's I'm nervous to see how this might affect me in another 30 years.

Comment from: Frank, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 10

I developed low energy and depression a few years ago. I was prescribed antidepressants which never work. I friend suggested a few months ago that I get my testosterone checked. I went to the doctor and had my testosterone level checked. It was 150. My doctor prescribed Testim and within a week I could feel the positive effects. By the end of 30 days I had great energy, sexual interest, no depression, no more crying spells. I went to the gym daily and lost a few pounds. My testosterone lever now on testim went from 150 to 301. Life was great. Last month I went to get my 2nd refill of Testim and was told by the pharmacy that my provider would no longer cover Tesitim. I had to switch to Androgel. I switched to Androgel for 30 days and noticed the depression came back . This time big time with crying spells, more loss of motivation energy, no sexual interest and a very low sense of wellbeing. I contacted my doctor for a follow test of my testosterone Androgel. The test came back at 70! The blood lab showed that I went from 301 on Testim to 70 while on Androgel. My doctor and I are trying to appeal the health care provider to let me remain on Testim. Not all cells work the same for everyone. Some gels your body will absorb better and will affect you more positively. Androgel is not the bioequivalent to Testim. Take control of your health. Doctors and healthcare providers need to be educated. I am hoping to get back on take and survive this.

Comment from: Don't Be Ashamed, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 10

I started suffering from low t about 2 and half years ago. I first noticed something wrong when I could not maintain an erection. Within a year I could barely get an erection. I started on Androgel and I saw immediate results but six months later my symptoms were worse. I went to the gym 4-5 days a week mixing cardio and strength training but I could barely gain muscle. My relationship suffered and I fell into a major depression. A few months back I visited a urologist who referred me to an endocrinologist. Turns out I have a prolactinoma which is a benign tumor on the pituitary. It secrets prolactin which is a hormone that nursing women secret. The hormone's main function is to suppress sexual functions. After a few eye exams (pituitary tumors can affect the optic nerve) and an MRI to confirm the tumor, my doctor started me on cabergoline. It prevents the tumor from secreting the prolactin. I saw instant results. It's only been two weeks, but I am now getting an erection almost daily. I would advise anyone experiencing erectile dysfunction to have your physician check your prolactin levels.

Low Testosterone (Low T) - Causes Question: What caused your testosterone levels to decrease?
Low Testosterone (Low T) - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with low-T.
Low Testosterone (Low T) - Treatment Question: How was your case of low testosterone treated?