Low Libido (Low Sex Drive) Symptoms
A decrease in sex drive can develop both due to medical conditions as well as to psychological or emotional issues. Inhibited sexual desire is a type of sexual dysfunction that affects both men and women.
- A reduction in sexual desire has been associated with low levels of testosterone in men.
- Women in the menopausal transitions sometimes report a decrease in sex drive.
What is the definition of low testosterone (Low-T)?
- Testosterone is a hormone required for male development and sexual function and is produced primarily in the testicles.
- Testosterone is responsible for building muscle and bone mass, sperm production, and sex drive.
- Testosterone influences male pattern fat distribution, bone density, and red blood cell production.
- In the normal developing male, testosterone peaks during early adulthood. Once you reach age 30, testosterone levels slowly decline by approximately 1% a year. This is a normal part of aging.
What are normal ranges or levels of testosterone in men?
The low limit of testosterone levels in men is about 300 nanograms per deciliter and the upper normal limit is approximately 1000-1200 ng/dl. A low level needs to be investigated further to distinguish it from normal aging.
What is low testosterone (Low-T)?
- Low testosterone (low-T) is underproduction or lack of production of testosterone in men and women.
- Causes of low-T include chronic medical conditions such as diabetes, infections, obesity, or other hormonal conditions.
- Symptoms of low-T include:
- Low-T testing includes linking symptoms with testosterone blood levels.
- Treatment options for low-T include different forms of testosterone replacement therapy.
What causes low testosterone (Low-T)
Some of the conditions that can lead to a low level are:
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 10/19/2016