Patient Comments: Low Potassium - Symptoms and Signs

What are your hypokalemia symptoms and signs?

Comment from: Bubzie, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

I was 12 and I was constantly tired, and it got to the point where I couldn't lift my arms to feed myself so my mother had to feed me. I went for numerous blood tests and doctors appointment and they couldn't understand what was wrong with me. Then a student doctor said "have her potassium levels been checked?" Thank god he said that! Well they checked them and they were very low and they were all stunned how I wasn't in cardiac arrest. They gave me supplements and also diagnosed me with CFS which didn't go away for about 4 months. It shocked my mother how a senior doctor didn't check potassium levels but only a student doctor thought of it.

Comment from: Ron, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 05

It starts by feeling faint. Then it feels like I need air and I start breathing hard. When this is going on I begin to sweat more and more. The amount of sweat is like after a hard workout. You cannot move during this period and within 30 minutes you are okay.

Comment from: Jenn2, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

Soda should also be put in there with diuretics, as most do not know this! I have chronic hypokalemia and because suicidal and heart palpitations were severe and that is how I was diagnosed with hypokalemia and had to have six bags of potassium in the ER. After all the other tests that were ruled out, soda was the only one left that could have caused it and I ate a very poor diet.

Comment from: Chels6656, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

I am only 27. My doctor started me on Zoloft after I started having panic attacks. After 2 weeks my potassium went from 4.4 to 2.8. I found myself in the ER after a near fainting spell with tingling over my whole body. They gave me oral potassium in ER and sent me home. I stopped the Zoloft but still hind myself with cramps no matter how much potassium I place in my diet along with supplement every other day. Getting frustrated. Want my life back.

Comment from: Bill, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: July 28

I have been taking water pills 80mg for years and 8 mq of potassium daily about 1 year ago I started urinating a lot without taking any water pills so I stopped taking potassium. I am now find myself weak tired, no get up and go I just go back and forth to bathroom about every hour. I sit in my recliner and I am finding that I am getting more weak by the day. I am going to restart the potassium again to see if that is the problem. About 10 years ago I was hospitalized due to low potassium.

Comment from: barelracer, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 28

My son has had episodes for years with painful heart palpatations and PVC's with extremely high blood pressure or low BP along with them. For years they couldn't figure out why, but tonight in the ER they discovered his potassium levels were very low, and upon checking records they realized they have been like this for years. He was given an IV treatment right away, and starts supplements now. His symptoms included chest pain, shaking, weakness, flushing, and tremors. He is only 13 yrs old. So it strikes no matter what age. They suspect it is caused by an as of yet undiagnosed kidney issue. He has been having blood in his urine for years and he pees a lot, but they have not pin pointed the problem yet. Hypokalemia is serious, if you have symptoms get checked ASAP!

Comment from: DennieDoo, 55-64 Female Published: December 01

My blood pressure medication periodically causes low potassium and I take a potassium pill to correct it. I know when my potassium is low as the arches in my feet tense up and hurt.

Low Potassium (Hypokalemia) - Diagnosis Question: How was the diagnosis of your low potassium (hypokalemia) established?
Low Potassium (Hypokalemia) - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatments were recommended after being diagnosed with low potassium?
Low Potassium (Hypokalemia) - Prevention Question: If you have low potassium, in what ways do you try to prevent it?