Patient Comments: Low Potassium (Hypokalemia) - Treatment

If you have low potassium, in what ways do you try to prevent it?

Comment from: kdgaspard, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 25

I suffer from cramps after working in the yard or most physical activity. The cramping is not always due to excessive sweating. I experience the same cramping during the winter months when working and not sweating. The cramps are so severe that I have taken as many as 24 potassium pills before they will subside. The cramping varies from leg muscles, hands, feet. Under most bouts of cramps I will take 6-8 potassium pills. But during the severe bouts, I will take the same amount but in 30 minute intervals before the cramps will subside. I do not take diuretics or any other medication that would cause this condition. I take no ongoing medication at all.

Comment from: Mrs. A, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

Ten years ago I developed low potassium levels - I had vertigo, I did not know what it was at the time. I thought I had a really bad ear infection that wouldn't clear up. I went to an ENT doctor that I trusted. He did a test to discover what it was; took me off all the allergy pills and prednisone. This doctor prescribed potassium chloride 10 mg and Dyazide 37/25. I take this 6 days a week. I do not get vertigo as long as I take these prescription pills once daily. It helps if I stay off sugars and carbohydrates too.

Comment from: sandeep, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 25

Daily, I have been eating two bananas and one coconut water taken to prevent low potassium.

Low Potassium (Hypokalemia) - Diagnosis Question: How was the diagnosis of your low potassium (hypokalemia) established?
Low Potassium - Symptoms and Signs Question: What are your hypokalemia symptoms and signs?
Low Potassium (Hypokalemia) - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment were recommended after being diagnosed with low potassium?