Patient Comments: Low Potassium (Hypokalemia) - Diagnosis

How was the diagnosis of your low potassium (hypokalemia) established?

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 27

I was having heaviness in my chest and palpitations of the heart. I assumed it was from stress. When the stress disappeared the palpitations and heaviness in my chest didn't, so my husband made me go into the emergency room where they ran EKG's, cat scans, and chest x rays. All of which came back normal. Until the blood tests came back with low potassium levels they immediately gave me potassium and within a couple days I was feeling myself again. I now take supplements everyday and haven't had any problems since.

Comment from: Viv, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 26

Low potassium was diagnosed through a general blood check I had last week, as was high creatinine. One of my kidneys was removed due to cancer (over 10 years ago). My GP periodically checks my blood. Your site is very informative and clearly explains low potassium, its causes and symptoms. The muscle wasting that has occurred in my body this year is now, perhaps, explained together with general weariness that feels abnormal.

Comment from: Lisa, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

I have been to the hospital for fainting, heart palpitations several times in the last few years. Every time I was released with good EKGs, but they had to give me IVs and told me I had low potassium, but was never told to get treatment. I'm a very healthy person, who doesn't drink or smoke. I don't take diuretics or have an eating disorder. I do suffer from severe constipation due to stress. I read the comments by other readers who have been dismissed by a primary care physician regarding this issue. I don't know if they think I'm too young, but it is concerning. I will try my chiropractor & the V8.

Comment from: Diana, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I went on a water pill Metolazone and lost 13 pounds in 3 days. I also got very weak and had some slight chest pain. I called the nurse the next day. She had me go in right away for blood test. A short time later nurse called back and said that my potassium was 2.1. I needed to be checked into the hospital right away.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

I take hydrochlorothiazide for high blood pressure. My hypokalemia was diagnosed by a blood test. It was at 2.9, and the doctor called me as soon as he received the results and prescribed a potassium supplement. I'm due for another blood test now, after 3 months, to check again. Ironically, my mother (in assisted living) was also diagnosed with low potassium via blood test; hers was probably caused by chronic diarrhea, which she had not admitted to the doctor because of embarrassment.

Comment from: 55-64 Female Published: August 07

I have chronic hematuria and an adrenal adenoma. A blood test was given to monitor those conditions, and that established that I also had low potassium.

Low Potassium - Symptoms and Signs Question: What are your hypokalemia symptoms and signs?
Low Potassium (Hypokalemia) - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment were recommended after being diagnosed with low potassium?
Low Potassium (Hypokalemia) - Treatment Question: If you have low potassium, in what ways do you try to prevent it?