Patient Comments: Low Potassium (Hypokalemia) - Diagnosis

How was the diagnosis of your low potassium (hypokalemia) established?

Comment from: teachem, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

After gaining too much weight with my first pregnancy, I developed high blood pressure (130/90). So I was prescribed a diuretic when I was done breast feeding. My doctor regularly monitors my kidney function, cholesterol and blood sugar (all normal) and noticed at my last blood test that my K was only 3.4 (mildly low). He ordered that I eat a banana a day and a retest in four days.

Published: July 22

I had a very bad stomach virus, intractable diarrhea and vomiting at the same time. After two agonizing days and nights, I was so weak; I barely made it to the bathroom. I asked my husband to take me to the ER. There, they ran blood tests, gave me Iv's for major dehydration. The blood result came back with a low potassium level of 2.0. I was admitted to the hospital for five days, where I got IV potassium and saline. I started feeling better after about three days, but was still very, very weak and drained.

Published: June 18

I thought I had pulled a groin muscle. After several days of pain, I finally went to my family doctor and he put me on prednisone and a muscle relaxer. By the next morning, I could not move my arms or legs. I could wiggle my fingers and toes, and I could feel anywhere that was touched, but I simply did not have the strength to even lift my arm to scratch my nose. An ambulance had to take me to the hospital. Blood tests proved the diagnosis of low potassium. I was given a bag of potassium and another blood test was done. I was then admitted and spent three days in the hospital getting potassium intravenously and orally. I did not lose the potassium by the usual ways such as diarrhea, vomiting, sweating or diuretics. I still don't know what caused it.

Published: June 13

I began having the feeling that there was a frog jumping around in my chest, and I had occasional minor chest pains. I went to the emergency. After about six hours of palpitations, they performed an ECG, EKG, Chest X-ray and blood tests. Everything except the blood tests were normal, which led to a diagnosis of PVC's (Premature Ventricular Contractions) due to hypokalemia.

Comment from: tinytiff, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I recently was taken to the emergency room with my heart racing, shortness of breath, sweating and near fainting. My blood pressure was 150/130 and my heart rate was 140 lying down. I thought I was having a heart attack. The hospital did a chest x-ray, blood tests and EKG's and said I was fine except my potassium was slightly low at 3.2. I was given 1 pill and sent on my way. I still feel funny at times. I keep something with potassium with me at all times. I later found out the medication I was on Prednisone probably was the start of all this which caused sweating and frequent urination which is where my potassium was probably lost.

Comment from: cashmere28333, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I woke up in the ICU on life support, the resident doctor did not know about Addison's and ties to imbalances. I have had congestive heart failure, 2 heart attacks and TIA's from dialysis, still on going for 2 years, need help from new doctor. I go to the national top hospital, but it is only as good as the doc that opens the door to the sub clinics.

Comment from: clare, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

An assessment done preoperation found in the blood test that my potassium levels were 3.5 quite low, I had no idea why I was feeling stressed confused and was getting visual disturbances. I have been on water tablets for 20 years, the hospital told me to eat a Banana every day, I never realized the side affects. I suffer for chronic diarrhea, and muscle pains, and until I searched this site I couldn't pin point the problem. I will make an appointment to see my GP, thank you so much for all the information. I now know why I have all these symptoms.

Low Potassium - Symptoms and Signs Question: What are your hypokalemia symptoms and signs?
Low Potassium (Hypokalemia) - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment were recommended after being diagnosed with low potassium?
Low Potassium (Hypokalemia) - Treatment Question: If you have low potassium, in what ways do you try to prevent it?