Patient Comments: Low Blood Pressure - Treatments

What was the treatment for your low blood pressure?

Comment from: smith8577, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I wanted you all to know those that have low blood pressure, crave salt, headaches, etc., to see an endocrinologist soon as you can. That is a symptoms of adrenal insufficiency. I have had this disease for 6 years, and have to take steroids. It will cause really low blood pressure readings. It can be dangerous if not treated. Good luck.

Comment from: Prof. Canthaboo, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 01

Lie down close your eyes visualize your heart proper. Imagine that your heart contracts slowly and retract slowly. This means your pulse rate also low. Then hold your heart within your fist. By imaginary visualization squeeze your heart slowly and effectively until the whole blood pumps out and hold it for a second and release your fist to retract slowly. Do it 72 times and repeat as much as you can. This will facilitate the blood to flow to the brain and to the toes. This method is called Cerebro Neural Therapy.

Comment from: pezami, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

A big problem with lower blood pressure is when it goes up to high end "normal" it is ignored when in actuality you are at a grave risk for stroke or whatnot. One time after an injury, my blood pressure shot up to 160/90. I was having trouble thinking and knew I was messed up. The medicos, however, thought it couldn't be that bad because the blood pressure wasn't so bad, considering the injury. I was right and they found out I was hurt worse than they thought. You have to push against the medicos all the time but it is horrendous that when you are at your most vulnerable, ie sick or injured, that they do not even reference your normal but go for societies normal instead.

Comment from: daisy, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: July 07

My husband is 78 years old. He was diagnosed with PD in Oct 2009. In Jan 2011, his BP began to be very low; sometimes as low as 50/34 and he would be very lightheaded and often pass out. For the Parkinson's he takes sinemet, azilect and requip. For the low BP he takes fluodrocortisone and midodrine. His BP is only low in the mornings. I have increased his salt intake, but it takes 3/4 hrs for his BP to get to 90 and above. Then in the afternoon it is very high.

Comment from: Justined, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I am a 79-year-old woman with essential tremor for which I take medication. I have lost about 8 pounds recently and had a severe case of diarrhea. My blood pressure was regulated with Norvasc (generic) and Avapro (generic). When my blood pressure dropped to 90/60 my doctor asked me to stop Norvasc. My BP stopped at about 100/70. Occasionally it shoots up to some unexplained number like 164/99. Usually it stays about 100. No dizziness, fainting. I do tire easily. I attribute this to my tremor which is regulated somewhat by DBS and topiramate. I am also taking chlorthalidone. If I have a serious drop in my BP, I'll drink part of an energy drink which today brought it up from 88/50 to 113/65. I am sure this is not the solution for all and I do ride a stationary bike for 20 to 30 minutess a day at a moderate speed.

Comment from: Silkstockings, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 20

I've changed the diet of a gentleman I care for. He used to have high blood pressure and now he's hypotension. A month ago, his new and very thorough doctor took him off the calcium channel and beta blocker for high blood pressure once we learned of the dramatic change in vitals. I make homemade foods for him, but am told certain Lean Cuisine dishes could help raise blood pressure. Regularly, he gets soy sauce, beef bouillon, beans, dry soups, deli meats and cheeses, chicken, nuts, yogurt or ice cream, lots of fruits and veggies (especially green beans and peas), drinks lots of water, milk, one Boost daily, green drinks with wheatgrass, and Gatorade. This is only to increase his salt/sodium intake. He's gotten much better results and feels better after only four weeks. His blood pressure has stabilized to within normal limits. I hope this helps someone.

Low Blood Pressure - Causes Question: What caused your blood pressure to be abnormally low?
Low Blood Pressure - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you have when you suffer from low blood pressure?
Low Blood Pressure - Numbers Question: What did you do to get your low blood pressure numbers up into a normal range?