Patient Comments: Low Blood Pressure - Treatments

What was the treatment for your low blood pressure?

Comment from: Silkstockings, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 20

I've changed the diet of a gentleman I care for. He used to have high blood pressure and now he's hypotension. A month ago, his new and very thorough doctor took him off the calcium channel and beta blocker for high blood pressure once we learned of the dramatic change in vitals. I make homemade foods for him, but am told certain Lean Cuisine dishes could help raise blood pressure. Regularly, he gets soy sauce, beef bouillon, beans, dry soups, deli meats and cheeses, chicken, nuts, yogurt or ice cream, lots of fruits and veggies (especially green beans and peas), drinks lots of water, milk, one Boost daily, green drinks with wheatgrass, and Gatorade. This is only to increase his salt/sodium intake. He's gotten much better results and feels better after only four weeks. His blood pressure has stabilized to within normal limits. I hope this helps someone.

Comment from: aussiebach, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

Whenever I go to hospital (rarely) my blood pressure is so low it always causes concern. Nurses tap the machine, get another one. One time a group of nurses stood outside the door of my room and talked quietly together. Then the nurse in charge of the ward came in and talked to me in a concerned way and told me that blood pressure as low as mine is always caused by a medical condition and I must pursue finding out what that condition was. I have fainted many times and one time in hospital a nurse said to me excitedly 'I wish we'd been here to check and see just how low it was when you fainted!' It's just part of me. My friend, who worked for years in a hospital emergency room, laughs when he sees my blood pressure and says 'you are dead – no one living can have such a low blood pressure'. My father had low blood pressure. It's just a joke to me.

Comment from: SustQue, 35-44 Female Published: May 18

Hi, I am new to this low blood pressure readings. I usually was considered pre-hypertension, because back in 1996, I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, and then everything was high. I started taking medication, but after being put on a diet and exercise the doctor took me off of it, and I did not take it anymore, my blood pressure seemed normal. However lately, I have been experiencing lots of lightheadedness, along with dizziness, and so, I have been keeping an eye on it this morning around 8:00 a.m., it was 121/77, I was very dizzy so, I came home and took it again at 11:00a.m., and it was 126/66, I cannot figure out why this is dropping like this, I have never had it this low before; I only eat the salt in my cheerios, or whatever amount in the cup of milk, and then I do not ever add salt to my foods, I cut out all my sodium and pretty much everything now is no salt added foods, so, what can be causing this? Any clues? Either way, if I eat salty foods then (my sugars are fine), I cannot control my blood pressures, when I start back on the caffeine once/twice a week (coffee), then it gets back to hypertension such 127/87, so I cannot win for loosing.

Comment from: leapinles, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 24

My husband is a C5-6 quad spinal cord injury. He is 67 years old, 33 years in a wheelchair. He suffers from low blood pressure and passes out after he eats. He takes ephedrine pills, which is a weight control product and sudaphederine. They work, but the side effects are that he is losing weight. Anyone that has any suggestions would help. His doctor just put him on a new medication Midodrine. Not doing much.

Comment from: Carol, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I was told by my high school doctor that I had low blood pressure, would "never be able to keep up with the Joneses" and he put me in modified PE. It was dumb because I liked playing sports. My first job was with the Postal Service and their doctor made me do jumping jacks to run my BP and qualify. My father told me he had it too. Doctors are always saying not to worry, but I have been slow and sluggish all my life. When I did long distance bike riding my BP got even lower and I didn't feel as healthy as you'd think. I am now 61. Two weeks ago I got so sick with stomach flu that I had to go to the hospital because I was extremely dehydrated. BP was down to maybe 60/40. Normally it's maybe 90/60. My internist said later that the reason it hit me so hard was that my BP is so low normally that going even lower endangered my life. So will this problem get worse as I age?

Low Blood Pressure - Causes Question: What caused your blood pressure to be abnormally low?
Low Blood Pressure - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you have when you suffer from low blood pressure?
Low Blood Pressure - Numbers Question: What did you do to get your low blood pressure numbers up into a normal range?