Patient Comments: Low Blood Pressure - Treatments

What was the treatment for your low blood pressure?

Comment from: leapinles, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 24

My husband is a C5-6 quad spinal cord injury. He is 67 years old, 33 years in a wheelchair. He suffers from low blood pressure and passes out after he eats. He takes ephedrine pills, which is a weight control product and sudaphederine. They work, but the side effects are that he is losing weight. Anyone that has any suggestions would help. His doctor just put him on a new medication Midodrine. Not doing much.

Comment from: Carol, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I was told by my high school doctor that I had low blood pressure, would "never be able to keep up with the Joneses" and he put me in modified PE. It was dumb because I liked playing sports. My first job was with the Postal Service and their doctor made me do jumping jacks to run my BP and qualify. My father told me he had it too. Doctors are always saying not to worry, but I have been slow and sluggish all my life. When I did long distance bike riding my BP got even lower and I didn't feel as healthy as you'd think. I am now 61. Two weeks ago I got so sick with stomach flu that I had to go to the hospital because I was extremely dehydrated. BP was down to maybe 60/40. Normally it's maybe 90/60. My internist said later that the reason it hit me so hard was that my BP is so low normally that going even lower endangered my life. So will this problem get worse as I age?

Low Blood Pressure - Causes Question: What caused your blood pressure to be abnormally low?
Low Blood Pressure - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you have when you suffer from low blood pressure?
Low Blood Pressure - Numbers Question: What did you do to get your low blood pressure numbers up into a normal range?