Patient Comments: Low Blood Pressure - Treatments

What was the treatment for your low blood pressure?

Comment from: Jammers, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

I'm a 34 year old female and have very low blood pressure that just started out of the blue. My normal range usually runs 60/35, I constantly pass out and could hardly function. After nearly year of different meds and diets my cardiologist put in a pacemaker and put me on Fludrocortisone, Midodrine, as well as Toprol. Needless to say I'm still struggling with low blood pressure and dizzy spells. My heart now has moments where I have bradycardia but yet I'm thankful I'm not fainting daily anymore. I'm on a high sodium and caffeine diet but nothing seems to work.

Comment from: gypsyjudy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

My blood pressure has been running so low that my blood pressure monitor (described as the most accurate, for an automatic blood pressure monitor, by my sister who is a nurse) only gives me Error messages in the morning. The other day it was 77/53. I am a kidney cancer survivor, and have been living at Stage 4 with metastases in my lung/s for 8 1/2 years. I have a nodule/cyst on my only remaining adrenal gland, which is described as only partially functioning. This means I have Adrenal Insufficiency, which could explain the low blood pressure. My Rx for fludrocortisone was doubled by my endocrinologist, and I was told to have "liberal salt" in my diet. This means I take a salt tablet, and added more, higher-sodium foods to my diet. For example, roasted, seasoned almonds instead of raw or plain. I also recently learned I have an allergy to Mugwort and that led me to Oral Allergy Syndrome, and the list of foods to avoid. When I quit eating all the fruits and veggies (fresh), and the systemic swelling that Oral Allergy Syndrome had caused had left my body (and I lost 15 pounds as a result), my blood pressure returned to normal, 120/80, but only for a short while, i.e. months maybe. I quit taking salt tabs and am now back to where I need to take them daily. I hope anything I have shared will help others who also suffer from low blood pressure.

Comment from: kayjord76, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

I am a 35 year old female living in the tropical island of Jamaica. I have low blood pressure since I was a teenager. First the doctor checked for anemia. Then he suggested I elevate my legs to help the blood flow to the brain. I have done all these things and it has helped me to cope with low pressure.

Comment from: (Patient) Published: December 28

As treatment for low blood pressure, I was advised to stay hydrated and eat throughout the day. My doctor is also keeping an eye on my thyroid in case a condition develops.

Comment from: Silkstockings, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 20

I've changed the diet of a gentleman I care for. He used to have high blood pressure and now he's hypotension. A month ago, his new and very thorough doctor took him off the calcium channel and beta blocker for high blood pressure once we learned of the dramatic change in vitals. I make homemade foods for him, but am told certain Lean Cuisine dishes could help raise blood pressure. Regularly, he gets soy sauce, beef bouillon, beans, dry soups, deli meats and cheeses, chicken, nuts, yogurt or ice cream, lots of fruits and veggies (especially green beans and peas), drinks lots of water, milk, one Boost daily, green drinks with wheatgrass, and Gatorade. This is only to increase his salt/sodium intake. He's gotten much better results and feels better after only four weeks. His blood pressure has stabilized to within normal limits. I hope this helps someone.

Comment from: aussiebach, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

Whenever I go to hospital (rarely) my blood pressure is so low it always causes concern. Nurses tap the machine, get another one. One time a group of nurses stood outside the door of my room and talked quietly together. Then the nurse in charge of the ward came in and talked to me in a concerned way and told me that blood pressure as low as mine is always caused by a medical condition and I must pursue finding out what that condition was. I have fainted many times and one time in hospital a nurse said to me excitedly 'I wish we'd been here to check and see just how low it was when you fainted!' It's just part of me. My friend, who worked for years in a hospital emergency room, laughs when he sees my blood pressure and says 'you are dead – no one living can have such a low blood pressure'. My father had low blood pressure. It's just a joke to me.

Low Blood Pressure - Causes Question: What caused your blood pressure to be abnormally low?
Low Blood Pressure - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you have when you suffer from low blood pressure?
Low Blood Pressure - Numbers Question: What did you do to get your low blood pressure numbers up into a normal range?