Patient Comments: Low Blood Pressure - Treatments

What was the treatment for your low blood pressure?

Comment from: gypsyjudy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

My blood pressure has been running so low that my blood pressure monitor (described as the most accurate, for an automatic blood pressure monitor, by my sister who is a nurse) only gives me Error messages in the morning. The other day it was 77/53. I am a kidney cancer survivor, and have been living at Stage 4 with metastases in my lung/s for 8 1/2 years. I have a nodule/cyst on my only remaining adrenal gland, which is described as only partially functioning. This means I have Adrenal Insufficiency, which could explain the low blood pressure. My Rx for fludrocortisone was doubled by my endocrinologist, and I was told to have "liberal salt" in my diet. This means I take a salt tablet, and added more, higher-sodium foods to my diet. For example, roasted, seasoned almonds instead of raw or plain. I also recently learned I have an allergy to Mugwort and that led me to Oral Allergy Syndrome, and the list of foods to avoid. When I quit eating all the fruits and veggies (fresh), and the systemic swelling that Oral Allergy Syndrome had caused had left my body (and I lost 15 pounds as a result), my blood pressure returned to normal, 120/80, but only for a short while, i.e. months maybe. I quit taking salt tabs and am now back to where I need to take them daily. I hope anything I have shared will help others who also suffer from low blood pressure.

Comment from: kayjord76, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

I am a 35 year old female living in the tropical island of Jamaica. I have low blood pressure since I was a teenager. First the doctor checked for anemia. Then he suggested I elevate my legs to help the blood flow to the brain. I have done all these things and it has helped me to cope with low pressure.

Comment from: (Patient) Published: December 28

As treatment for low blood pressure, I was advised to stay hydrated and eat throughout the day. My doctor is also keeping an eye on my thyroid in case a condition develops.

Comment from: aussiebach, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

Whenever I go to hospital (rarely) my blood pressure is so low it always causes concern. Nurses tap the machine, get another one. One time a group of nurses stood outside the door of my room and talked quietly together. Then the nurse in charge of the ward came in and talked to me in a concerned way and told me that blood pressure as low as mine is always caused by a medical condition and I must pursue finding out what that condition was. I have fainted many times and one time in hospital a nurse said to me excitedly 'I wish we'd been here to check and see just how low it was when you fainted!' It's just part of me. My friend, who worked for years in a hospital emergency room, laughs when he sees my blood pressure and says 'you are dead – no one living can have such a low blood pressure'. My father had low blood pressure. It's just a joke to me.

Comment from: Auntyg112, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

My blood pressure is so low. I feel terrible, light-headed, weak, dizzy , confused easily and can not sleep more than a few hours. I am recovering from double pneumonia (was in Miriam for 1 week) and they said it would take a month or two b/c I have a hx of neurological lyme disease and fibromyalgia. I am only taking ativan at night to sleep (1mg) and 800 mg ibuprofen. I manage my fibro with diet and exercise no pills at all but I cant do anything with this low BP. Also ankle swelling and painful calves just started this morning when I stood up.

Comment from: SustQue, 35-44 Female Published: May 18

Hi, I am new to this low blood pressure readings. I usually was considered pre-hypertension, because back in 1996, I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, and then everything was high. I started taking medication, but after being put on a diet and exercise the doctor took me off of it, and I did not take it anymore, my blood pressure seemed normal. However lately, I have been experiencing lots of lightheadedness, along with dizziness, and so, I have been keeping an eye on it this morning around 8:00 a.m., it was 121/77, I was very dizzy so, I came home and took it again at 11:00a.m., and it was 126/66, I cannot figure out why this is dropping like this, I have never had it this low before; I only eat the salt in my cheerios, or whatever amount in the cup of milk, and then I do not ever add salt to my foods, I cut out all my sodium and pretty much everything now is no salt added foods, so, what can be causing this? Any clues? Either way, if I eat salty foods then (my sugars are fine), I cannot control my blood pressures, when I start back on the caffeine once/twice a week (coffee), then it gets back to hypertension such 127/87, so I cannot win for loosing.

Low Blood Pressure - Causes Question: What caused your blood pressure to be abnormally low?
Low Blood Pressure - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you have when you suffer from low blood pressure?
Low Blood Pressure - Numbers Question: What did you do to get your low blood pressure numbers up into a normal range?