Patient Comments: Low Blood Pressure - Treatments

What was the treatment for your low blood pressure?

Comment from: Toriiee, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

I'm a 21 year old woman and have had low blood pressure my whole life. My mom has it and so does my brother. But I am the only one who gets affected by it. When I was a teenager I used to faint when standing and get bad headaches and black out for a minute or so. I was dizzy and lightheaded most of the time. I saw my doctor and found out that I have Hypotension, my blood pressure was 90/60, and an irregular heartbeat. He put me on a diet with more salt and that made me feel a lot better. I was all good until now. I am now experiencing lightheadedness, unable to concentrate on anything, and am very dizzy. I almost fainted at work yesterday and had to go home early. I have a feeling that something is causing my blood pressure to drop below 90/60 but don't know what it could be. I have been eating salty chips all day today and they have made me feel a lot better. So I'm hoping that all I need is more salt in my diet. It worked last time, so hopefully it works this time.

Comment from: DeepBlue, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 29

I've had low blood pressure all my life. I feel tired all the time, have problems concentrating, and have passed out on numerous occasions. It gotten worse since I stopped drinking coffee and smoking as both of these were raising my blood pressure. Recently, I discovered that Rosemary herb (in tinctured form) works great for treating low blood pressure. It works just like coffee, but better (no anxiety, better concentration, etc.).

Comment from: Jammers, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

I'm a 34 year old female and have very low blood pressure that just started out of the blue. My normal range usually runs 60/35, I constantly pass out and could hardly function. After nearly year of different meds and diets my cardiologist put in a pacemaker and put me on Fludrocortisone, Midodrine, as well as Toprol. Needless to say I'm still struggling with low blood pressure and dizzy spells. My heart now has moments where I have bradycardia but yet I'm thankful I'm not fainting daily anymore. I'm on a high sodium and caffeine diet but nothing seems to work.

Comment from: gypsyjudy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

My blood pressure has been running so low that my blood pressure monitor (described as the most accurate, for an automatic blood pressure monitor, by my sister who is a nurse) only gives me Error messages in the morning. The other day it was 77/53. I am a kidney cancer survivor, and have been living at Stage 4 with metastases in my lung/s for 8 1/2 years. I have a nodule/cyst on my only remaining adrenal gland, which is described as only partially functioning. This means I have Adrenal Insufficiency, which could explain the low blood pressure. My Rx for fludrocortisone was doubled by my endocrinologist, and I was told to have "liberal salt" in my diet. This means I take a salt tablet, and added more, higher-sodium foods to my diet. For example, roasted, seasoned almonds instead of raw or plain. I also recently learned I have an allergy to Mugwort and that led me to Oral Allergy Syndrome, and the list of foods to avoid. When I quit eating all the fruits and veggies (fresh), and the systemic swelling that Oral Allergy Syndrome had caused had left my body (and I lost 15 pounds as a result), my blood pressure returned to normal, 120/80, but only for a short while, i.e. months maybe. I quit taking salt tabs and am now back to where I need to take them daily. I hope anything I have shared will help others who also suffer from low blood pressure.

Comment from: kayjord76, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

I am a 35 year old female living in the tropical island of Jamaica. I have low blood pressure since I was a teenager. First the doctor checked for anemia. Then he suggested I elevate my legs to help the blood flow to the brain. I have done all these things and it has helped me to cope with low pressure.

Comment from: (Patient) Published: December 28

As treatment for low blood pressure, I was advised to stay hydrated and eat throughout the day. My doctor is also keeping an eye on my thyroid in case a condition develops.

Low Blood Pressure - Causes Question: What caused your blood pressure to be abnormally low?
Low Blood Pressure - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you have when you suffer from low blood pressure?
Low Blood Pressure - Numbers Question: What did you do to get your low blood pressure numbers up into a normal range?