Patient Comments: Low Blood Pressure - Treatments

What was the treatment for your low blood pressure?

Comment from: pezami, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

A big problem with lower blood pressure is when it goes up to high end "normal" it is ignored when in actuality you are at a grave risk for stroke or whatnot. One time after an injury, my blood pressure shot up to 160/90. I was having trouble thinking and knew I was messed up. The medicos, however, thought it couldn't be that bad because the blood pressure wasn't so bad, considering the injury. I was right and they found out I was hurt worse than they thought. You have to push against the medicos all the time but it is horrendous that when you are at your most vulnerable, ie sick or injured, that they do not even reference your normal but go for societies normal instead.

Comment from: daisy, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: July 07

My husband is 78 years old. He was diagnosed with PD in Oct 2009. In Jan 2011, his BP began to be very low; sometimes as low as 50/34 and he would be very lightheaded and often pass out. For the Parkinson's he takes sinemet, azilect and requip. For the low BP he takes fluodrocortisone and midodrine. His BP is only low in the mornings. I have increased his salt intake, but it takes 3/4 hrs for his BP to get to 90 and above. Then in the afternoon it is very high.

Comment from: Justined, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I am a 79-year-old woman with essential tremor for which I take medication. I have lost about 8 pounds recently and had a severe case of diarrhea. My blood pressure was regulated with Norvasc (generic) and Avapro (generic). When my blood pressure dropped to 90/60 my doctor asked me to stop Norvasc. My BP stopped at about 100/70. Occasionally it shoots up to some unexplained number like 164/99. Usually it stays about 100. No dizziness, fainting. I do tire easily. I attribute this to my tremor which is regulated somewhat by DBS and topiramate. I am also taking chlorthalidone. If I have a serious drop in my BP, I'll drink part of an energy drink which today brought it up from 88/50 to 113/65. I am sure this is not the solution for all and I do ride a stationary bike for 20 to 30 minutess a day at a moderate speed.

Comment from: Kurotimi, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 15

I have a mix of both hypertension and hypotension. A few weeks ago I had a routine check of my blood pressure in my office and it showed 154/56. Prior to the check I could barely sleep at night and was also worried about my inability to access my laptop I passworded myself. I met a doctor who was too busy to attend to me, so I left to play a soccer match. Up until now I have not gone for another check but feel fine.

Comment from: AliveLiving, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I am 44 with very low blood pressure. I had headaches that would not go away. I was always tired and weak. The doctors wouldn't listen and said some women just had low blood pressure which is true but I wouldn't listen. I kept going to another doctor then another. I had a brain aneurysm. My refusal to listen saved my life. Low blood pressure saved my life. The neurosurgeon said had my blood pressure been normal I would have died long ago. I still suffer with symptoms of low blood pressure but am thankful for it. Low blood pressure may be normal to you but if you don't feel you are treated well by your doctor then keep moving until you find a respectful one.

Comment from: john, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: December 11

Water, physical therapy and rest.

Comment from: jfb, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 07

My husband's blood pressure was normal until the last 2-3 years. He takes Florinef and extra salt. Midodrine makes it worse. He has fallen several times with injuries. He takes Sinemet and Azilect for PD which also causes low blood pressure. We adjusted the Sinemet to more often but same dosage. He gets dyskenesia from too much at a time. This helped. I am monitoring him for changes.

Low Blood Pressure - Causes Question: What caused your blood pressure to be abnormally low?
Low Blood Pressure - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you have when you suffer from low blood pressure?
Low Blood Pressure - Numbers Question: What did you do to get your low blood pressure numbers up into a normal range?