Patient Comments: Low Blood Pressure - Causes

What caused your blood pressure to be abnormally low?

Comment from: Donna, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: December 15

My blood pressure dropped to 90/59 after being put on Losartan 50 mg once a day and Maxzide 75/50 once a day.

Comment from: Bama, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 17

I am on hemodialysis but in 2005 I was diagnosed with a leaking mitral valve. My pressures gets as low as 70/40; almost too low to be dialyzed. So from time to time I have pains behind my eyes, along my shoulders and neck and weakness in my joints. Nothing can be done, it is just due to my condition is what the cardiologist says.

Comment from: Rabi, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 10

When I was pregnant with my second child, my blood pressure went down. I don't know the extent, all I know was that I had dizzy spells almost all though the pregnancy. I was told to increase my salt intake, which I did. There was just a little improvement.

Comment from: David, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 18

I am 52 years old, have a disease known as Stiff-Man Syndrome for which I am treated with baclofen and Clonapaxin 4 times a day. I also receive IVIG (intravenous immunoglobulin) infusions at home 3 times a month. I have been on diltiazem 180 for high blood pressure for many years. I had two strokes, the worst of which my BP was 229/165. Now, I am going the opposite direction with my BP. Yesterday my home health nurse took my BP probably 15 times, and twice stopped my infusion as my BP dropped to 58/39. A friend of mine who was once my family doctor said that this is likely an auto-immune disorder. The cardiologists have done everything except a heart catheter, and nothing shows up. I do feel tired a lot, and feel much better if I can do some manner of physical exercise, but the Stiff-Man really limits that, because if I overdo it I will have a myoclonic seizure. I have no thyroid problems, but do have an adrenal tumor which is inoperable.

Comment from: Elaine, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

I fell and broke my arm, and my blood pressure dropped to 70/30, maybe it was the shock that caused it.

Comment from: loveirl53, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 24

I take blood pressure (BP) pills but I got a bad cold and my whole body and feet are like ice. I took my BP and it was 117/52 and I am still freezing. I don't know what's wrong.

Comment from: Jenny, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I would have fainting attacks for years. Fourteen years ago I had a pacemaker put in and I have had a new life. I had a tilt table test first. Now I can go anywhere.

Comment from: connie, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 18

My blood pressure drops quite low during dialysis. It continues for a time then gets back to somewhat normal range.

Low Blood Pressure - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your low blood pressure?
Low Blood Pressure - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you have when you suffer from low blood pressure?
Low Blood Pressure - Numbers Question: What did you do to get your low blood pressure numbers up into a normal range?