Patient Comments: Low Blood Pressure - Causes

What caused your blood pressure to be abnormally low?

Comment from: Bama, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 17

I am on hemodialysis but in 2005 I was diagnosed with a leaking mitral valve. My pressures gets as low as 70/40; almost too low to be dialyzed. So from time to time I have pains behind my eyes, along my shoulders and neck and weakness in my joints. Nothing can be done, it is just due to my condition is what the cardiologist says.

Comment from: Rabi, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 10

When I was pregnant with my second child, my blood pressure went down. I don't know the extent, all I know was that I had dizzy spells almost all though the pregnancy. I was told to increase my salt intake, which I did. There was just a little improvement.

Comment from: David, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 18

I am 52 years old, have a disease known as Stiff-Man Syndrome for which I am treated with baclofen and Clonapaxin 4 times a day. I also receive IVIG (intravenous immunoglobulin) infusions at home 3 times a month. I have been on diltiazem 180 for high blood pressure for many years. I had two strokes, the worst of which my BP was 229/165. Now, I am going the opposite direction with my BP. Yesterday my home health nurse took my BP probably 15 times, and twice stopped my infusion as my BP dropped to 58/39. A friend of mine who was once my family doctor said that this is likely an auto-immune disorder. The cardiologists have done everything except a heart catheter, and nothing shows up. I do feel tired a lot, and feel much better if I can do some manner of physical exercise, but the Stiff-Man really limits that, because if I overdo it I will have a myoclonic seizure. I have no thyroid problems, but do have an adrenal tumor which is inoperable.

Comment from: connie, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 18

My blood pressure drops quite low during dialysis. It continues for a time then gets back to somewhat normal range.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I typically have high blood pressure which has at times gone up to 218. I take Hyzaar 100/25 daily to maintain my pressure at around 130/90. The first time I went for surgery my blood pressure hit the floor, I never was told how low it went but low enough to stop the surgery and I had to have a cauterization before they would consider surgery. This has happened several times and once the surgical nurse caught it before I went into surgery and they gave me an IV which brought it back up and I was able to continue on and have the surgery. So, now when I go for surgery and must fast from midnight I cannot take the Hyzaar, for that day only I take Cozaar which is the same except for the diuretic and I notate on my history that I should have an IV started prior to anesthesia. Since I have bladder cancer I have had multiple surgeries and this has helped surgical delays.

Comment from: peggysue, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I had pneumonia last March and I have been treated for asthma ever since. My respirologist examined me and decided I should lower my asthma medications as I seemed to be light headed and lacking oxygen. My ankles and legs were also swollen so she put me on diuretics and referred me to an overnight sleep clinic and suggested a hospital bed at home might help as well. To me it sounds as awful as CHF (congestive heart failure), which my mother died of at 70 years.

Low Blood Pressure - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your low blood pressure?
Low Blood Pressure - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you have when you suffer from low blood pressure?
Low Blood Pressure - Numbers Question: What did you do to get your low blood pressure numbers up into a normal range?