Patient Comments: Low Blood Pressure - Causes

What caused your blood pressure to be abnormally low?

Comment from: Lillenana, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I have High Blood which I take medicine for, but quite often lately in mid morning or noon my blood pressure gets very low, ie 78/43 Pulse 51, right now it went up a little 80/43, someone told me to drink Gatorade, I had a full bottle and it does not seems to help, what can I do to bring it higher, I am very dizzy, lightheaded, and have a trace of a headache, I told my doctor about this and he does not know why this would happen, can you help

Comment from: Sharon, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I'm not sure, but was diagnosed with mitral valve regurgitation 8 years ago along with irregular heart beat as high as 120 and low as 40 with the Holter monitor. The doctor hasn't rechecked me since putting me on Diltiazem until my incident in the hospital this week. I still am not satisfied with the info I was able to get, which wasn't much.

Comment from: nan, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 18

As soon as I complete my breakfast (i.e. cereal), my face begins to flush, I begin to sweat profusely, and my pressure begins to drop from normal range to systolic (92-102 or lower) diastolic (48-58) ranges. This will last for 45-90 minutes. The sweating continues all this time, although I generally feel chilled, not hot.

Published: July 28

My doctor put me on two blood pressure medications -- Benicar HCT and Norvasc. I take them together in the morning. My blood pressure now varies; i.e. 99/55, 75/44, 95/60, etc. I've been extremely tired and I have also developed an ache in the upper part of my neck.

Published: July 24

I was diagnosed with neuro cardiogenic dysfunction, a drop in blood pressure at any moment; I suffer with a lot of visual changes, out of breath, lightheadedness, rapid heart rate and much more. I am on a medication to control the rapid heart rate, but the blood pressure I have to try to control with diet. This is a very uncomfortable illness to deal with.

Published: July 22

I am a 45-year-old woman who is typically healthy with a blood pressure of about 90/50. I do not have any side effects (tired/dizzy), but I do have a problem donating blood. On some occasions my blood pressure is too low 81/49. I have a sister four years older than myself who also has low blood pressure. She periodically experiences bouts of being extremely tired. Her blood pressure is not quite as low as mine, but it seems to be a real issue for her.

Published: July 11

My blood pressure runs low, and I have orthostatic hypotension. I have poor tolerance for heat. Salt and fluids sometimes help, but not perfectly. For the last few years, I have had periods of profound fatigue and difficulty thinking, which my doctor believes is related to periods of worsened low blood pressure. Yet my increasing salt and fluids has not helped this. By coincidence, I found that Allegra-D, which has a stimulating effect, helped my ability to think. However, it seemed to worsen other autonomic functions with which I have difficulty.

Published: June 27

I am 75, have CVDk, and two stints. My blood pressure has been normal on meds for years. Several months ago, it started to run high on the top, low on the bottom, right arm. Left arm is running about 30 points lower than usual and pulse is hard to detect. My cardiologist has me scheduled for an arteriogram; he believes I may have subclavical blockage. I have the dizziness, and other things cause tiredness all the time but it seems to be worse maybe with the advent of low blood pressure on one side.

Low Blood Pressure - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your low blood pressure?
Low Blood Pressure - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you have when you suffer from low blood pressure?
Low Blood Pressure - Numbers Question: What did you do to get your low blood pressure numbers up into a normal range?