Patient Comments: Low Blood Pressure - Causes

What caused your blood pressure to be abnormally low?

Published: June 18

I've always had low blood pressure. I've passed out a few times. I'm 55 now and today it is 120/55. My pulse is 62. Recently I took two treadmill tests and both results said I showed signs of ischemia and my heart was all over the place. I know what ischemia is, but no one will tell me what to do for it. I've always exercised, and I swim. I'm active, but it is becoming more and more exhausting.

Published: June 13

I have been being treated for hypertension. My blood pressure has reached 210/110 and normally was running around 190/98. My doctor put me on clonidine-0.1mg, atenolol-50mg, amlodipine-10mg, and lisinopril-20mg to lower my blood pressure. After about 1 month my blood pressure has dropped to 92/52. I have been extremely weak, I have had dizzy spells, absolutely no energy and just felt half dead. I have not been able to work because I am on my feet at work and too dizzy and weak. Today, he has decided to take away the clonidine but I have read that it is dangerous to stop taking this med abruptly.

Published: June 11

I typically have a lower BP but periodically, it really crashes. I have a BP cuff and right now, it is 75/44 - I have been exhausted all day. I wish I knew why it crashers; my doc doesn't seem too concerned by it but when it drops under 85 it affects my ability to work, play, etc. I believe the lowest I have crashed has been about 55/45. All I want to do is sleep. Sometimes, eating salty foods help. I have had my normal volume of water today, maybe that is contributing. I have been advised to be sure people know about my low BP if I ever need surgery.

Published: June 10

A combination of factors - dehydration, physical and mental exhaustion, lack of exercise for a long period, followed by vigorous sudden exercise, and hyperthermia.

Published: June 09

I am post chemo and Radiation. I have always had normal low blood pressure but now it jumps down, lowest 60 over 40 in ER. All blood work came back just peachy and docs were baffled, The saline IV seemed to slowly bring it up. So I drank a lot of water, plain and with electrolytes.

Published: May 19

I recently had blood drawn to test my thyriod, and the test came back a little high. I recently went to the doctor because I was feeling exauhsted, and my blood pressure was a little low.

Comment from: Ky Marie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I was having black out spells approximately 3 years ago, they got better without medicine. I blacked out driving slow. 1st time the heart cath and several other tests, no answers. Started again approximately 3 months ago, did brain scan, MRI, stress test, scan on top of heart, tilt test, want to schedule the Tee test, did the clogged artery test on legs and neck. They happen when I am the quietest. Nothing showed up, I had been under a lot of stress. Sitting at computer and black out, set at table with family and black out, was driving and stopped for a turn, blacked out and no answers at the current time.

Comment from: Sandhya, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I am allergic to some smells which exist in hospitals and in particular Operation Theaters. Last 4-5 times when I developed sudden low blood pressure, I was in a hospital, with my close ones who were recently operated or just out of Operation Theater.

Comment from: woraiur, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 10

I would like to share with you that I had high blood pressure 160/100 I reduced to 140/100 and then to 120/100 by taking garlic regularly and avoided rice mostly reduced my weight by 15 kg without any medicine. I find taking garlic in large quantities reduces the high blood pressure now I am finding ways to reduce to 120 /80 by natural means without medicine after that success I will tell my ways to reduce the blood pressure.

Low Blood Pressure - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your low blood pressure?
Low Blood Pressure - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you have when you suffer from low blood pressure?
Low Blood Pressure - Numbers Question: What did you do to get your low blood pressure numbers up into a normal range?