Patient Comments: Low Blood Pressure - Causes

What caused your blood pressure to be abnormally low?

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I typically have high blood pressure which has at times gone up to 218. I take Hyzaar 100/25 daily to maintain my pressure at around 130/90. The first time I went for surgery my blood pressure hit the floor, I never was told how low it went but low enough to stop the surgery and I had to have a cauterization before they would consider surgery. This has happened several times and once the surgical nurse caught it before I went into surgery and they gave me an IV which brought it back up and I was able to continue on and have the surgery. So, now when I go for surgery and must fast from midnight I cannot take the Hyzaar, for that day only I take Cozaar which is the same except for the diuretic and I notate on my history that I should have an IV started prior to anesthesia. Since I have bladder cancer I have had multiple surgeries and this has helped surgical delays.

Comment from: judyr, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 10

My husband is 53 years old, and an insulin dependent diabetic since 1994. He is a landscaper, weighing about 155 lbs and is 5'7 or 8 so is very active from sun up to sun down. His blood pressure was normally like 100/70. About a year ago the doctor put him on lisinopril for his kidneys. (this is a blood pressure medication), I take it to lower mine. Now he is coming home very, very tired (which has to do with the heat in Arizona, and how hard he works), but also complains of headaches. Definitely stays hydrated. Does not drink alcohol or smoke. He took his blood pressure today and it was 90/61. Is this too low, should we be concerned. The doctor never says anything when asked if this is OK. All he says is I wish all my patients had this good of blood pressure.

Comment from: peggysue, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I had pneumonia last March and I have been treated for asthma ever since. My respirologist examined me and decided I should lower my asthma medications as I seemed to be light headed and lacking oxygen. My ankles and legs were also swollen so she put me on diuretics and referred me to an overnight sleep clinic and suggested a hospital bed at home might help as well. To me it sounds as awful as CHF (congestive heart failure), which my mother died of at 70 years.

Comment from: Shelley, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 09

My mom had a first episode of extreme pain from diverticulitis about 6 weeks ago. Since then, she's been sick. Nausea all the time, vomiting, thirsty, extremely cold and her doctor took her off her blood pressure pills because her pressure is low now. She has an appointment to see a specialist in a little over a week but I'm scared that's too long to wait. She lives with my brother and I think he should take her to the emergency room. I'm really worried about her.

Published: July 22

I am a 60-year-old insulin-dependent diabetic. Eight years ago my doctor decided to put me on some medication for my kidneys. The medication was normally prescribed for patients with high blood pressure. All the tests I've had show normal kidney function. My blood pressure was always normal. One month after starting the new medication, my blood pressure went down. It put me in the emergency room, and the medication was stopped. Ever since then, I cannot keep my blood pressure in a normal range.

Published: July 22

I am severely hypothyroid, and low blood pressure is part of that. I was on Synthroid for years, and still had low blood pressure and had other symptoms of hypothyroidism. I started taking Amour Thyroid, which has T3 and T4, both of which are to be found in your thyroid gland. (Synthroid only has T4; many people must have both to function, while others get along just on the T4.) This helped a great deal and actually increased my blood pressure to a more normal range, giving me more energy.

Low Blood Pressure - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your low blood pressure?
Low Blood Pressure - Symptoms Question: What symptoms do you have when you suffer from low blood pressure?
Low Blood Pressure - Numbers Question: What did you do to get your low blood pressure numbers up into a normal range?