Patient Comments: Lower Back Pain - Exercises

What stretches and exercises have helped with your lower back pain?

Comment from: jallyndc, Male (Caregiver) Published: January 31

Most 'authorities' will tell you that you must strengthen your 'core muscles'. They will not instruct you to stretch these muscles. But think logically for a moment... over time our core muscles shorten due to repetitive forward posture and strain. In the absence of facet syndrome, you need to STRETCH core muscles and hip flexors. One of the MOST important hip flexor is your Psoas Major. Also, although the quadriceps muscle group does not function primarily in hip flexion, it does assist. Make sure you 'quads' are NOT shortened and painful. Your h.c. professional can help you implement passive and active stretching protocols.

Comment from: Haseeb, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: November 08

I have suffered from a severe back pain that went from waist to my right leg after suffering from dengue. I vomited almost 30 to 40 times in 3 days during vomiting. When my stomach was empty vomiting came. Nothing came out but those jerks were so intense that they were like somebody hit me with a bat. I was free from dengue after 7 days. On 9th day I had a severe pain. I was unable to sit or walk. I was screaming, even went in emergency one night and I was admitted due to pain and my x-rays+MRI were clear. One of the doctors gave me a treatment after two weeks. He injected steroids. I am fine. My pain is gone, but I want to know that whether this steroid will effect permanently or temporarily because we can't say anything to docs in Pakistan. They do what they want to do. Please tell me. I don't want my pain to start again. Doc told me it's some kind of ligament strain due to excessive vomiting.

Comment from: Pharmaspider websear, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: October 11

Being a chronic back pain sufferer, I've used multiple back pain treatments including a TENS unit, massage therapy, rehabilitation, back pain exercises and back strengthening exercises, heat and cold therapy, various back pain medicine including NSAIDs and prescription back pain relievers, etc. I've learned that strengthening and conditioning your back (stomach muscles) really helps minimize injury and inflammation, as well as learning how to lift properly, bending and twisting properly, etc. My back pain causes began with the birth of my first child, then a serious car accident in '97. Physical therapy is a very good option to relieve chronic back pain, and proper ergonomics, stretching, etc. are very important. I try to help others learn what they can do to reduce their back pain naturally, etc. from what I've learned in my journey at my personal back pain blog, Stop Back Pain Cause Now. I really appreciate your information, and utilize it regularly as a reference when researching or answering others' questions. Thank you very much for your invaluable information.

Comment from: Janet, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

I live in Columbus, Ms where we do not have any pain medication doctors. I have failed back syndrome from spinal surgery that has left me in constant pain. I did live in Florida and went to a pain clinic there and had much success but have not been able to find one closer to my home. I was flying down there 1200 miles every 6 weeks and the trips became intolerable for me and expensive. I was being treated with therapy and medication and it worked great. I am looking to find someone who could treat me same way; my therapist was also a pain management expert.

Comment from: inri143, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 01

I was in the 24 hour fitness and I was doing the squats and the cleans and not the medicine ball the big beach ball. I had the 25 pd weight and I was doing the sit-ups crunches and now within a week my lower back is hurting so I'm trying to think of a way to get healthy asap. It should be all right within 2 weeks but I'm not going to take any time off.

Comment from: bob, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 09

For my back pain, I did at-home exercises for sciatica.

Comment from: faye, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

I am having back pain so severe I can barely do anything. It started in my lower back and now the lower part of my belly and right leg also hurts. I went to the E.R. yesterday and they gave me an injection of valium to ease the muscle spasms.

Lower Back Pain - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatment have been effective for your lower back pain?
Lower Back Pain - Common Causes Question: What is the cause of or reason for your lower back pain?
Lower Back Pain - Uncommon Causes Question: Do you have an unusual reason for lower back pain? Please discuss the cause.
Lower Back Pain - Prevention Question: In what ways do you try to prevent lower back pain? Please describe conditioning programs.