Patient Comments: Lower Back Pain - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatment have been effective for your lower back pain?

Comment from: JCR, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I know how horrible chronic back pain can be. After a car accident, I had debilitating pain for seven years. I had been to various doctors and done physical therapy throughout that time period. Stretches worked when I was sore, but sometimes the pain was so intense that I could hardly get out of bed. I have even had to take days or weeks off of work due to the pain. I have been living in Barcelona for the past five years. It's here where I found a doctor who finally really listened to my symptoms and understood my problem. Other doctors had mentioned surgery, but my doctor didn't think that I would improve with surgery. Instead he offered me a less invasive treatment, cortisone injections in some joints of my spine called facet joints. His work was seriously life changing! I haven't felt so normal since before my back issues began. Even if you have to pay for a flight and a few nights of a hotel, it would be worth it to finally relieve the pain! Another major perk is that medical costs in Barcelona are exponentially less expensive than they are in the States, especially if you are under or uninsured, and many doctors, like mine, are fluent in English. I have been pain free for more than a year and I couldn't be more grateful.

Comment from: JCR, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I know how horrible chronic back pain can be. I have had debilitating pain for seven years due to a car accident. I have been to various doctors and done physical therapy. Stretches work when I am sore, but sometimes the pain is so intense that I can hardly get out of bed. I have even had to take days or weeks off of work due to the pain. I have been living in Barcelona for the past five years. It is here I found a doctor who finally really listened to my symptoms and understood my problem. Other doctors had mentioned surgery, but my doctor didn't think that I would improve with surgery. Instead he offered me a less invasive treatment, cortisone injections in some joints of my spine, called facet joints. His work was seriously life changing! I haven't felt so normal since before my back issues began. Even if you have to pay for a flight and a few nights of a hotel, it would be worth it to finally relieve the pain! Another major perk is that medical costs in Barcelona are exponentially less expensive than they are in the States, especially if you are under or uninsured. Good luck with your journey to recovery!

Comment from: Anonymous, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 28

I had a breast reduction at the age of 19 (now 32) due to back pain because of wearing away of the cartilage on my spine. The back pain never went away but has got worse (specifically lower to middle back) over time. I find Dicloflam quite effective and if possible a short, firm deep tissue massage (even 5 minutes brings a lot of relief).

Comment from: Fiona, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I have scoliosis and nothing was done to fix it. I was thrown from my horse over a fence and cracked my tailbone, which didn't make it any better. I began exercising in my mid-30s after having 3 kids, and the pain was gone. So, at about age 58, I began working at a tremendously stressful job. I went to a doctor of medicine (MD), a chiropractor, and finally an acupuncturist. The MD's advice was useless, she as much as told me I was imagining it; the chiropractor was good, but it was only temporary relief. The acupuncturist made a great difference. She gave me some muscle relaxants and natural pills, not to mention the needles and cupping. Last visit, she introduced me to the Miracle Ball Method. Wow, is it ever amazing! All these professionals say, do exercises. Well, I would if it didn't hurt so much to do them! This is not exercising. Your weight just melts into the balls. You place them in strategic spots, then you just lay there and let your body melt into the balls. It is different than any other thing I've tried, and I love it. I'm feeling like 'pain-free' may be possible.

Comment from: Bigracer12, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 05

I get severe back pain episodes periodically. I found ice works best for relieving pain, along with stretching the hamstrings and glutes and hip flexors. Also for prevention I have found chiropractic adjustments work very effectively.

Comment from: Wondergel2, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 03

Exercise and stretching worked so well for my lower back pain. Sometimes icepack works well too, but not as good as it feels when my stretching. I also find relief from back pain when my posture is good, no slouching; and when I have to stay seated for a long period of time, I make it a point to stand every now and then. Stretch here and there. Jump lightly. And then sit again. Hope this helps.

Lower Back Pain - Exercises Question: What stretches and exercises have helped with your lower back pain?
Lower Back Pain - Common Causes Question: What is the cause of or reason for your lower back pain?
Lower Back Pain - Uncommon Causes Question: Do you have an unusual reason for lower back pain? Please discuss the cause.
Lower Back Pain - Prevention Question: In what ways do you try to prevent lower back pain? Please describe conditioning programs.