Patient Comments: Lower Back Pain - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatment have been effective for your lower back pain?

Comment from: jay, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 01

The injury to my lower back was from a fall some twenty years ago and the two lower discs were injured. I decline to have surgery therefore I get a reoccurrence of pain every year or two. I need to know if there is anything else that can be done other than surgery.

Comment from: paula., 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I'm a 36-year-old female, and I had a slip disc at 20. After having several epidural drips into my lower back with no effect at all, I eventually had an operation on my back to have the disc removed. It had an immediate effect. After suffering for a full year of incredible pain in my back and right leg, which was so bad I asked to have my leg amputated, I eventually got my life back. That was all good up to now. I now suffer with chronic arthritis in my back, which I'm on medication for with nasty side effects. Once again, at 36, I'm crippled with pain.

Comment from: janatop, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 07

Remaining active helps to be in control of your body. If you exercise, you allow other parts of your body to be active. Your muscles get sore after a good workout, but it is a good sore. This way you are not just concentrating on the pain of your back. Living with pain is not easy, especially when medicine doesn't work anymore. Eat healthy and exercise. It will help you to feel stronger and fight the pain more effectively.

Comment from: Mis j, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 27

My doctor said I have degenerative disc and now he won't help me with the pain. He won't give me pain medication! He just tells me to walk more and stretch my muscles more. So what do I do? Nothing is helping me. I have Naprosyn and Tylenol that I take. It doesn't work.

Comment from: 45-54 Female Published: January 22

I've sought medical assistance for lower back pain multiple times in the last 18 years. Usually a round of physical therapy with new exercises does the trick. The worst mistake I ever made was not insisting on a specific diagnosis beyond "LBP". Heat and message therapy without detailed knowledge of the underlying cause of the pain did more harm than good. A tiny disc abnormality ballooned into excruciating full-blown sciatica - a chiropractor fixed that. As long as I do some PT exercises daily my back just grumbles a bit then behaves.

Comment from: Musaid, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 22

My wife is suffering from low back pain and unable to walk straightly. She was treated local Doctor with pain tablets like brufen etc. I used massage of oil also other pain creams. Temporarily she recovered, but again in trouble. Please guide me with some suitable medicine for her recovery. It is humbly stated that she is also a patient of Sarcoidosis first stage.

Comment from: ademis, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 01

I'm 32 years old and I have suffered from lower back pain and it is not easy. I used narcotic for pain is the only medicine that helps me.

Comment from: gabby154, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

Nothing has helped me thus far, I've had 2 surgeries, 2 injections and 1 nerve block injection, so nothing has helped me thus far, they want to do a 3rd surgery. A fusion type, I guess that is removing the L4 disc and secure it with pins and screws. Is that the last resort?

Lower Back Pain - Exercises Question: What stretches and exercises have helped with your lower back pain?
Lower Back Pain - Common Causes Question: What is the cause of or reason for your lower back pain?
Lower Back Pain - Uncommon Causes Question: Do you have an unusual reason for lower back pain? Please discuss the cause.
Lower Back Pain - Prevention Question: In what ways do you try to prevent lower back pain? Please describe conditioning programs.