Patient Comments: Lower Back Pain - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatment have been effective for your lower back pain?

Comment from: PJWoods, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 22

I was in a car accident in April. I told the doctors that my pain was in my lower back, right side, and down my right leg. Finally, in September, they did another MRI and found a bulging disc in my L5.S1 area. I have had 3 ESI's done, and no relief. They are ordering a back brace next, and I am asking for a Nerve Block. The pain is getting so severe, that even with my pain medication (Lorcet plus 7.5/650) every 6 - 8 hours, and a soma 350 at night, I am still at a level 6-8. I am having spasms, and it runs down my right leg. I am in tears at work, where I sit for 2 hours at a time. (I work in Accounting) I am 45 years old. Is there any hope for me to get back to a normal life? Where I can load my dishwasher, do my grocery shopping, or even just drive to see my family 3 1/2 hours away? And do my job, without tears? Please someone tell me there is hope. I am so upset to be hurting for so long and it is only getting worse.

Published: July 25

I recently had a total disc replacement, Pro-Disc L5-S1. I felt relief after the surgery, but 8 days later I was hospitalized for a blood clot in the leg. I also had knots in both calves and the gluteal area. Spent a total of 17 days in the hospital, on and off. After my release the pain in my back was gone. I could sit and drive without that horrible pain. It was great! I was placed on Coumadin for the clots. A week or so later, I started experiencing pain in my pelvic area, buttocks and lower back. Very intense. My PT count was 4.7 and should have been 2.0. I don't know what has happened. I now have horrible burning in my gluts and lower back. Did I pull a muscle or could this be related to bleeding from the rat poison, Coumadin?

Published: July 22

Look, I'm 37 yrs. old and have had chronic LBP for 8 yrs now because I fractured my L-4. Anyway treat your LBP with a combination of Drugs and Physical Therapy. After you feel like you can, start doing light to moderate exercise, try and do some that your doctor recommends. I have been symptom free for a year with the odd pain from a long day notwithstanding. The main reason so many people keep getting hit with LBP is being lazy or too busy for exercise. I have been in the military for 17+ yrs and I can't set the right example for my soldiers if I can't train with them. Just try it, I promise your quality of life will take a turn for the better!

Comment from: Tanay, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 20

I used to have lots of problems with lower back pain. I found that stretching my hamstrings helps. All you need to do is try to touch your toes a few times for about 20 seconds each time and that should help a little. If your hamstrings are tight, it can pull on your lower back, causing pain. I do believe that standing for a long time has this effect. Try this and see if it helps. If not, then you may need to see a doctor. I don't think a neurosurgeon would be the best option, as that can be quite pricey, but a GP should be able to give some advice.

Comment from: amr, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 07

My pain was so bad that I had to see a specialist for lower back pain in Manhattan. I had to do exercises, and it helped a lot. It relieved a lot of the pain.

Comment from: Rachel B, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 28

Massage Therapy is a great, non-invasive method of treating chronic back pain. It increases circulation to the muscles which helps speed recovery from injuries. Medical Massage can help to alleviate tension and break up adhesions, or knots, which may contribute to discomfort and pain.

Comment from: Rodster, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 28

I am a 64 year old male and have suffered from severe lower back pain for at least 30 years. The pain is not constant - or I would go crazy. I find relief from the pain by doing stretching and strengthening exercises. After about 2 weeks of exercises the pain diminishes or ceases all together. I should keep up the exercises constantly but, being human, when the pain disappears, I stop the exercises.

Lower Back Pain - Exercises Question: What stretches and exercises have helped with your lower back pain?
Lower Back Pain - Common Causes Question: What is the cause of or reason for your lower back pain?
Lower Back Pain - Uncommon Causes Question: Do you have an unusual reason for lower back pain? Please discuss the cause.
Lower Back Pain - Prevention Question: In what ways do you try to prevent lower back pain? Please describe conditioning programs.