Patient Comments: Lower Back Pain - Uncommon Causes

Do you have an unusual reason for lower back pain? Please discuss the cause.

Comment from: jithendra, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: November 11

I have back pain since 2 months, initially blood reports showed deficiency of vitamin D and vitamin B12, and everything was normal according to x-ray report. I took vitamin tablets for 1 month but there was no change. Then blood report was taken again. Sufficient amounts of vitamin were present. MRI was taken. Everything was normal except two small areas of hyper intensity in iliac part but doctor told it was fine. I still have pain. I can't sit for more than five minutes without support as pain increases. I have continuous pain.

Comment from: BMZebal56@aol, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 09

I'm having severe pains in my lower back that is like sciatica, but on both sides. When going from sitting to standing, I have fairly easy movement. When standing for five minutes, or less, I get intense pain, in my upper legs, in front. Then the pain increases, and moves to my lower front legs, with greater intensity. If I try to walk more than 20 feet, it intensifies, until I get to where I can sit. When sitting, it intensifies, and radiates, to my lower back, and into my tailbone area. I had an MRI recently, and will get the results in a couple of days. I read the articles on sciatica and lumbar radiculopathy, and the latter is closer to my symptoms.

Comment from: Shadow, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 27

I was 39 and had an x-ray taken for a job. It showed I was missing a disc in my lower back, doctor said I was born without it. I always have some pain, once or twice a year my back would go out and I could not stand for days, and I used crutches to reach the bathroom. The right bed made a huge difference, a wave-less water bed for me. It has been twenty years since my back went out and no more getting out of bed, I am slow and careful, then walking up my legs with my hands pushing me until I'm standing up straight. Try changing your bed, it can change your life if you find the one that works for you.

Comment from: vino, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I have had lower back pain for 9 years. It was not a constant pain. I am a normal weight person and do exercise two times a week. Four years ago I took an MRI scanning which shows my L4, L5 is affected. I fitted Mirena coil 5 months ago for heavy periods due to cyst in the ovary. After the coil fitted my periods regulated but I have constant lower back pain.

Comment from: Collette, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 30

I recently tried to move a motorbike out of the way of my parked car - this was 7 weeks ago since when I have had pain in my lower back at each side. I can no longer touch my toes or bend forwards very well. I have pain at night when trying to lie down and have to take painkillers during the day and stronger ones at night so that I can sleep. I think I may have bruised the muscles in my lower back but I'm not sure. I am very active but not as active as I would like to be since this occurred

Comment from: erw123, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 28

I am 62 and have lower back pain when I am in bed too long. If I go to bed at 9 p.m., I am up at 3 or 4 p.m. because my back hurts. I was in accident when I was 18 and crushed two or three vertebrae. I'm thinking this might be my problem.

Comment from: Poly, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 13

I was pulling a table and suddenly my hands slipped off and I landed on my buttocks. I'm now having severe waist pain. I'm not sure whether to exercise or rest my waist area.

Comment from: trtle58, 45-54 Female Published: May 01

I was run over by a truck. It broke my pelvis and I received an L-1 burst fracture. They operated two times, putting part of my hip in my spine, and then had to go back in to back out one of the screws that was rubbing against the aorta. One year later I had the hardware removed because the screw that was backed out was digging a hole in my flesh. I have severe chronic pain, and a replacement physician took me off my pain medication that I had been taking for more than six years. I went through heavy withdrawal. Now I have severe pain and am unable to participate in my own life.

Lower Back Pain - Effective Treatments Question: What kinds of treatment have been effective for your lower back pain?
Lower Back Pain - Exercises Question: What stretches and exercises have helped with your lower back pain?
Lower Back Pain - Common Causes Question: What is the cause of or reason for your lower back pain?
Lower Back Pain - Prevention Question: In what ways do you try to prevent lower back pain? Please describe conditioning programs.