Patient Comments: Loss, Grief, and Bereavement - Experience

What helped you through your loss, grief, and bereavement?

Comment from: blondie, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 05

I am a 57 year old who started a week ago with a very bad cold, which may have been a flu strain. I have been taking first 1,000 mg of Cipro for 5 days and then for the next 5 days because of fever 101. I started with amoxcillin twice a day 875 mg each time. This in addition to Robitussin DM and Tylenol extra strength. The cough is now residual but I'm not congested anymore and no longer have a fever. I am just incredibly tired, sleepy, and exhausted.

Comment from: Birdy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

I lost my fianc´┐Ż to suicide. I feel isolated and irregular modes spurts of anger towards those nearest to me and really resents full and unsure about almost everything I do towards others and myself. I'm more angry than sad and I feel very little about myself but hurt inside when I'm getting ready to go to bed or the sun goes down I feel a sense of emptiness in my body along with anger and hurt and I cry for him wishing he was still among us just a call away the fact that I can't hear his voice terrifies me. And takes my breath away I loved him so much. Since he took his life I feel I should take mine but then I think about my children and it seems more bearable to continue living. Objects seem deem and dull no interest in my life. When I wake up I feel there is no sense in starting a new day without him in our lives I'm sick of feeling at all.

Comment from: wheezie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 08

I was divorcing my husband after 23 years. He was a great father, worked hard, but not a great husband; he liked to drink party and gamble. I have Crohn's and had so many surgeries so after my last surgery in 2011 I decided I had to end our marriage. He would not get help he would say that is for weak people. I begged him and he was insulin dependent and killing himself with all of his bad habits. It was killing me so when I left he got so much more controlling and sexually assaulted me, but I moved away and he had gotten sick. He died in April 2016 and I am grieving for him and my children are a mess. I can't help them if I can't even help my grieving! Our children are 25 and 26 and we have 3 grand daughters who loved him dearly also! Even though I knew I had to leave him to save my life it was the hardest heart breaking thing I ever had to do because I still loved him but could not take the abusive behavior anymore! But I am hurting and blaming myself for his death. If I would have stayed I could have helped him but I also think, well, I did for 23 years and he would not listen to me about partying and drinking so how can I make him do anything!

Comment from: Me, Published: July 09

My mom dies a year ago, my dad 4 mos to the day. Everyone I have loved is gone. My wife and parents didn't get along so I cannot confide in her, so I grieve alone. It has been a year and I feel like I am coasting through life, doing what I must, not doing much else. It gets easier at 6 mos, then easier at 12 mos. I now realize I must push through it, accept it for what it is and move on as they did with their parents and those parents who had parents who passed. Doesn't mean I don't hate it, just means I too have a life and a wife who needs me and I haven't really been there the past 12 mos and may not be then next 12 mos but at lease I am aware of it more so and will push through it and move on, just like all those children who have lost their parents, I am not the only one though it feels that way selfishly.

Comment from: charlie, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 28

I lost my wife about three years ago and to this day, I'm still having a hard time dealing with her death. People have told me it does get easy as time go on. Maybe that's true, but to me it doesn't get easy. I don't know what to do with myself because right now I take care of my mother. While I don't mind, it reminds me of when I took care of my wife. I am not sure how to handle this.

Comment from: Love and faith, Female Published: November 06

I was to get married next February and was preparing for my wedding when my fiance was diagnosed with end stage renal failure. I am aware that this condition is treatable, but I am scared. I lost my father in a car accident when I was 12. This incident has scared me even more, nothing seems to be in control. I am scared for everyone around me. I am scared of my thoughts as they scare me even further. I am trying to control and be strong. Please be strong and have faith and patience.