- High Blood Pressure Slideshow Pictures
- Take the Salt Quiz!
- Lowering Blood Pressure Exercise Tips Pictures
- What is losartan and hydrochlorothiazide, and how does it work (mechanism of action)?
- What brand names are available for losartan and hydrochlorothiazide?
- Is losartan and hydrochlorothiazide available as a generic drug?
- Do I need a prescription for losartan and hydrochlorothiazide?
- What are the side effects of losartan and hydrochlorothiazide?
- What is the dosage for losartan and hydrochlorothiazide?
- Which drugs or supplements interact with losartan and hydrochlorothiazide?
- Is losartan and hydrochlorothiazide safe to take if I'm pregnant or breastfeeding?
- What else should I know about losartan and hydrochlorothiazide?
What is losartan and hydrochlorothiazide, and how does it work (mechanism of action)?
Hyzaar is a combination of losartan (Cozaar) and hydrochlorothiazide and is used for treating high blood pressure. Losartan is an oral medication that belongs to a class of drugs called angiotensin receptor blockers (ARBs). Other ARBs include irbesartan (Avapro), valsartan (Diovan), and candesartan (Atacand). Angiotensin, formed in the blood by the action of angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE), is a powerful chemical that attaches to angiotensin receptors found in many tissues but primarily on smooth muscle cells surrounding blood vessels. Angiotensin's attachment to the receptors causes the muscles to contract and the blood vessels to narrow (vasoconstrict) which leads to an increase in blood pressure (hypertension). Losartan (more specifically, the chemical formed when the liver converts the inactive losartan into an active chemical) blocks the angiotensin receptor. By blocking the action of angiotensin, losartan relaxes the muscles, dilates blood vessels and thereby reduces blood pressure.
Hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ) is a diuretic (water pill) used for treating high blood pressure (hypertension) and accumulation of fluid. It works by blocking salt and fluid reabsorption in the kidneys, causing an increased amount of urine containing salt (diuresis). The mechanism of its action in lowering high blood pressure is not well understood. The combination of losartan and HCTZ reduces blood pressure better than either drug alone. Losartan increases potassium levels while HCTZ reduces potassium levels; the combination of both drugs has less effect on potassium levels. The FDA approved Hyzaar in April 1995.
What brand names are available for losartan and hydrochlorothiazide?
Is losartan and hydrochlorothiazide available as a generic drug?
GENERIC AVAILABLE: Yes
Do I need a prescription for losartan and hydrochlorothiazide?
What are the side effects of losartan and hydrochlorothiazide?
Common side effects of Hyzaar are:
Other important side effects that may be caused by Hyzaar include:
- persistent cough,
- severe hypotension,
- changes in electrolyte concentrations,
- impotence, and
Hyzaar may reduce kidney function in some patients and should not be used by patients who have bilateral renal artery stenosis (narrowing of both arteries going to the kidneys). Rare cases of rhabdomyolysis (muscle breakdown), hepatitis, ,reduced number of platelets, and pancreatitis have been reported.
Quick GuideHow to Lower Blood Pressure: Exercise Tips
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Need help identifying pills and medications?
Use the pill identifier tool on RxList.