Patient Comments: Liver Disease - Symptoms

What were your symptoms associated with liver disease?

Comment from: Isla, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I have constant upper right abdominal pain through to my back and under my right shoulder blade. My liver function tests show there are problems. I often have yellowing of the whites of my eyes, I rarely ever drink alcohol and when I do it"s half a glass of wine. However I just seem to be shunted from one consultant to another for a proper diagnosis but am not getting any help. I am constantly exhausted, I can easily sleep most of the weekend from Friday night to Monday morning just getting up for a few hours to wash and to eat. If I don"t do this I can"t cope with my full time job. I am depressed and so tired all the time.

Comment from: Alley, 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 20

Liver treatment surgeons across the globe point out that in almost 50 percent of cases, liver diseases do not show any symptoms. However, the more prominent symptoms include those of jaundice or the eyes and skin turning yellowish due to accumulation of bilirubin in the white areas. In addition, dark urine, clay-colored stool, gastrointestinal tract bleeding and retention of fluids in the belly area are some notable symptoms of liver diseases.

Comment from: S.Ruiz, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 23

He has hepatitis C, type 2 diabetes. He got very disoriented, stopped eating, had insomnia, was bleeding rectally, unable to hold or know when he's going to have a bowel movement, couldn't breathe. When he got to the hospital they admitted him right away into ICU and put him on life support.

Comment from: lawoolybear, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 17

I have cirrhosis of liver, stage 4 liver failure. I am solid yellow, bleeding through pores, and losing weight every week.

Comment from: wife till death, Male (Caregiver) Published: October 15

My husband has a platelet count of 31, both red and white blood cells are down. He has lost 40 lbs in 6 months or less. He has Jaundice, anemia and he is malnourished.

Comment from: JAYA, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

My face and leg are swelling with liver disease.

Comment from: ROBERT, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 11

Liver disease has caused swelling of my chest cavity, weakness and paleness of the skin.

Comment from: HEPB, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

Just discovered that i have hepatitis B and chronic hepatitis B as well. I believe I've had it since 1992 and survived 19 years without treatment. I intend living another 20 and more. I'm not prepared to let this get the better of me. I will treat the disease. I am currently infectious and very sensitive to those around me and my loved one. Wish me luck and keep me in your prayers for my journey ahead.

Liver Disease - Causes Question: If known, please discuss the possible cause(s) of your liver disease.
Liver Disease - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, surgery, or medication did you receive for your liver disease?
Liver Disease - Complications Question: Please describe the complications of liver disease experienced by you, a relative, or friend.
Liver Disease - Experience Question: Please share your personal experience with liver disease.