Patient Comments: Liver Disease - Symptoms

What were your symptoms associated with liver disease?

Comment from: nash2, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I started with elevated liver enzymes. After that, a battery of different lab tests were ordered, which were all normal except the anti-smooth muscle antibody. I have history of a parent who died of liver disease at age 56. I have Graves' Disease and hypothyroidism. I had an ultrasound (gallbladder removed 3 years ago) which indicated I needed a biopsy. My biopsy shows NASH (nonalcoholic steatohepatitis) stage 2 of 3 and stage 1 of 4 fibrosis. I do not know what the next steps are or what to do.

Comment from: frecklepuss, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 04

My boyfriend has stage 4 liver disease. He almost died when blood built up in his chest and he required surgery. He's very stubborn and his legs and calves on both feet are swollen. I don't know when to suggest that he go to the hospital.

Comment from: KathyOb60, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I had a couple of bouts with what I thought was indigestion. I had some blood work done, and my liver enzymes were elevated. My doctor made the assumption that I am a heavy drinker, which I am not. I had surgery a couple of months ago, and while the camera was in looking around, it was discovered I have an inflammed gallbladder. I also had some white spots on my liver. I didn't associate the pain I had been having with my gallbladder. After some research I discovered that with gallbladder problems the liver enzymes can be elevated. I am going in for an ultrasound of my gallbladder, and I would guess removal of it is in my future. I am having pain in my upper right quadrant, and hope my liver will bounce back once the gallbladder is removed.

Comment from: theresa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

The symptoms of my liver disease are abdominal pain, lethargy, esophageal variances, abdominal variances, weight loss, severe weakness, bad coordination, and more.

Comment from: dbehrens624, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I have Hepatitis C. So far I have experienced extreme fatigue, nausea and being cold all the time. Two years ago there was some liver damage, but that has reversed, and my liver is showing normal at this time.

Comment from: author47, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

I did not notice any symptoms but was always tired and felt weak. Frequently, I had shoulder pain and numerous episodes of bronchitis and pneumonia, which has prompted the doctors to check into the possibility of lung cancer. I have already been diagnosed with liver disease, but the tests have not been done to determine the kind or extent of damage. I am a non-smoker, non-drinker, and do not do drugs or have sex with anyone except my spouse. I do take a pain medication for an inoperable (benign) tumor, but only take 1/2 pill at bedtime. I do not use OTC drugs of any kind.

Comment from: JC, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

I noted no symptoms, however after having blood work done my AST/ALT were both higher than normal and my blood platelets were quite low. My doctor was concerned and is running more lab work and ordering I have a sonogram done. May have to get a biopsy done also.

Liver Disease - Causes Question: If known, please discuss the possible cause(s) of your liver disease.
Liver Disease - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, surgery, or medication did you receive for your liver disease?
Liver Disease - Complications Question: Please describe the complications of liver disease experienced by you, a relative, or friend.
Liver Disease - Experience Question: Please share your personal experience with liver disease.