Patient Comments: Liver Disease - Symptoms

What were your symptoms associated with liver disease?

Comment from: JAYA, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

My face and leg are swelling with liver disease.

Comment from: lawoolybear, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 17

I have cirrhosis of liver, stage 4 liver failure. I am solid yellow, bleeding through pores, and losing weight every week.

Comment from: wife till death, Male (Caregiver) Published: October 15

My husband has a platelet count of 31, both red and white blood cells are down. He has lost 40 lbs in 6 months or less. He has Jaundice, anemia and he is malnourished.

Comment from: HEPB, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

Just discovered that i have hepatitis B and chronic hepatitis B as well. I believe I've had it since 1992 and survived 19 years without treatment. I intend living another 20 and more. I'm not prepared to let this get the better of me. I will treat the disease. I am currently infectious and very sensitive to those around me and my loved one. Wish me luck and keep me in your prayers for my journey ahead.

Comment from: ourposse, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 17

I was on an experimental drug at the time and was receiving routine blood tests. The research facility notified me that my Bilirubin count had dropped severely and to go and have a hep screen done. The test was negative twice and my GI believed that it was the drug and would the problem would fix itself. I then turned yellow and it was decided that I had auto-immune hepatitis. I have been at stage four cirrhosis and am on a variety of drugs including diuretics, antibiotics, and immune system suppressants. I will eventually require a transplant but for now am not sick enough to make the list. I was a non smoker and very light drinker.

Comment from: ROBERT, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 11

Liver disease has caused swelling of my chest cavity, weakness and paleness of the skin.

Comment from: nash2, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I started with elevated liver enzymes. After that, a battery of different lab tests were ordered, which were all normal except the anti-smooth muscle antibody. I have history of a parent who died of liver disease at age 56. I have Graves' Disease and hypothyroidism. I had an ultrasound (gallbladder removed 3 years ago) which indicated I needed a biopsy. My biopsy shows NASH (nonalcoholic steatohepatitis) stage 2 of 3 and stage 1 of 4 fibrosis. I do not know what the next steps are or what to do.

Comment from: frecklepuss, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 04

My boyfriend has stage 4 liver disease. He almost died when blood built up in his chest and he required surgery. He's very stubborn and his legs and calves on both feet are swollen. I don't know when to suggest that he go to the hospital.

Comment from: KathyOb60, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I had a couple of bouts with what I thought was indigestion. I had some blood work done, and my liver enzymes were elevated. My doctor made the assumption that I am a heavy drinker, which I am not. I had surgery a couple of months ago, and while the camera was in looking around, it was discovered I have an inflammed gallbladder. I also had some white spots on my liver. I didn't associate the pain I had been having with my gallbladder. After some research I discovered that with gallbladder problems the liver enzymes can be elevated. I am going in for an ultrasound of my gallbladder, and I would guess removal of it is in my future. I am having pain in my upper right quadrant, and hope my liver will bounce back once the gallbladder is removed.

Liver Disease - Causes Question: If known, please discuss the possible cause(s) of your liver disease.
Liver Disease - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, surgery, or medication did you receive for your liver disease?
Liver Disease - Complications Question: Please describe the complications of liver disease experienced by you, a relative, or friend.
Liver Disease - Experience Question: Please share your personal experience with liver disease.