Table of Contents
- Liver Disease Facts
- What is liver disease?
- What is liver disease? (Continued)
- What are the causes of liver disease (alcohol and cirrhosis)?
- What are the causes of liver disease (drug-induced liver disease)?
- What are the causes of liver disease (hepatitis and others)?
- What are the causes of liver disease (cancer and others)?
- What are the risk factors for liver disease?
- What are the symptoms of liver disease?
- When to seek medical care for liver disease
- How is liver disease diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for liver disease?
- What are the complications of liver disease?
- Can liver disease be prevented?
- What is the outlook for a patient with liver disease?
Liver Disease Symptoms
Common Symptoms of Liver Disease
Classic symptoms of liver disease include:
- right upper quadrant abdominal pain, and
- jaundice (a yellow discoloration of the skin due to elevated bilirubin concentrations in the bloodstream).
Fatigue, weakness and weight loss may also be occur.
However, since there are a variety of liver diseases, the symptoms tend to be specific for that illness until late-stage liver disease and liver failure occurs.
Liver Disease Facts
- The liver plays an important role in many bodily functions from protein production and blood clotting to cholesterol, glucose (sugar), and iron metabolism.
- A variety of illnesses can affect the liver, for example,
- certain drugs like excessive amounts of acetaminophen, and acetaminophen combination medications like Vicodin, Norco, and statins,
- Symptoms of liver diseases include
- The treatment of a particular liver disease depends on its specific cause. Continue Reading
Fauci, Anthony S., et al. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 17th ed. United States: McGraw-Hill Professional, 2008.
National Digestive Diseases Information Clearinghouse, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. "Liver."
1. iStock / Mikael Häggström / MedicineNet
3. iStock / MedicineNet
4. iStock / CDC
7. Ed Uthman, MD
13. Getty Images / Bigstock / iStock
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Newsletters
Get the latest health and medical information delivered direct to your inbox!