Patient Comments: Liver Blood Tests - Test

What were the results of your liver blood test?

Comment from: Varvara60, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I went through a pretty serious burnout from my job and during that time, all kinds of physical problems started arising. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure and rheumatoid arthritis. About a year later, my doctor called to say that my AST level was 93 and my ALT level was 232. This was cause for alarm so I went into the hospital. I am not a drinker but have fatty liver. CT scan, MRI, and ultrasound all looked normal but these levels remain high. Even in the hospital, they could not find the cause of these high levels and I have been sent home with terrible abdominal pain. We still don't know the cause.

Comment from: miffy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I'm under a psychiatrist for anxiety and depression for last two years and also a gastroenterologist. I have been diagnosed with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and am shortly to have a Protogram. My other medications are propranolol, lofepramine, ranitidine, quetiapine, diazepam and atorvastatin. For years I have had a very poor immune system. I had some blood tests done recently by my general physician and had an appointment as my fibromyalgia had returned with a vengeance. I am only an occasional drinker. The surgery rang following my blood results and asked me to make an appointment with the general physician regarding the results. I am now worried as she said my liver is badly damaged, my ALT result was 177. She stopped my atorvastatin with immediate effect. I suffer terrible heartburn and was prescribed 400 mg ibuprofen 3 times a day. I feel quite concerned.

Comment from: joey, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 09

I am taking 7 to 8 Norco per day for chronic pain and have been taking this amount for at least the last 2 years. My liver test results showed AST of 55 and ALT of 70. I wonder if this is a high level sufficient to cause permanent liver damage.

Comment from: Ozzy2488, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 21

I came into the emergency department after lying unconscious and unresponsive for 12 hours due to a heroin overdose. After running my blood tests the medical team found my AST to be 752 and my ALT to be 866. After determining I had severe rhabdomyolysis, they quickly started me on dialysis because it was causing a blockage to my kidneys, causing failure. Thankfully they were able to provide me with the proper medical care I desperately needed at the time. A month later my AST was 41 and my ALT was 58. Thanks to this medical team I am alive and well and have been sober for 7 months now.

Comment from: memou, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I woke up one day with a burning sensation in my abdomen and next day I felt dizzy and worn out with tendency to sleep and nausea, added to this was a shivering sensation starting from head to toe. I thought it was fever but my temperature was 36.5. I had blood tests and found SGOPT at 53 with normal reference laboratory figure at 31 maximum. My SGOPT was at 84 with normal reference laboratory at 33. I smoke but I don't consume alcohol.

Liver Blood Tests - Diagnosis Question: Please describe how Liver Blood Tests has helped in your diagnosis.
Liver Blood Tests - Why Were You Tested? Question: Do you know why your doctor ordered liver blood tests? Please share your experience.