Patient Comments: Liver Blood Tests - Diagnosis

Please describe how Liver Blood Tests has helped in your diagnosis.

Comment from: MRailey, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 03

I have had some liver problems ever since I had my gall bladder removed. I am trying to explain my pain under my right rib. I know the days that my enzymes are high by the way I feel. They said it was just muscle pain. I have not felt right in months. So I found a new family doctor after having severe headaches for a week. They did the routine blood work with liver test. My Alt was high and so was my AST. There is a family history of liver cancer. They did send me back for more liver function tests with a hepatic panel test and advanced test.

Comment from: David, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 03

Following an annual blood test my doctor said everything was fine apart from my liver which showed a reading of 60 when it should be under 50. He said this indicated I was drinking too much alcohol. What I want to know how bad is 60 and what does 50 mean?

Comment from: phyphy, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 03

I've got chronic Hep C about 8 years ago and recently my ALT an AST were elevated to 280 and 190 in January and they were dropped to 135 and 65 this month. Is it usual for a patient like me (chronic Hep C) to have elevated ALT and AST at this level? Should I look for a treatment immediately? I would appreciate your responses/advice.

Published: June 03

My liver enzymes: AST 177H and ALT 266H. From what I can tell this is far beyond normal, and at the behest of my psychiatrist (who prescribes the medicine which may have caused increased liver enzyme levels). I have gone to a general practitioner. I recently had an ultrasound, even after my enzyme levels of my second test were normal. The doctor seems to think it was a mistake with the blood. I have been experiencing nausea for more than 2 months every morning, as well as chronic heartburn. I'm not just going to take more medicine. I want to find out what is wrong that causes the symptoms.

Comment from: Mark, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 03

The article was excellent and helped me understand the meaning of my AST (SGOT) ALT (SGPT) test results. I've stopped taking NSAID: Voltaren. I'll see how it goes following a future test.

Comment from: dave, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 18

I had some blood work done about a month ago and my alt was 1272 my blood work showed no Hepatitis A, B or C. I do not drink I had some pain about 4 months ago under my right shoulder blade and my urine is often very dark with a deep red tinge to it at least once a day. I have no viral infections or anything just this high number. I do sometimes shake for no reason not sure if this means anything, but basically no symptoms. I eat healthy don't drink or use drugs.

Comment from: Moone, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

One year ago I wasn't feeling well. I was experiencing extreme fatigue and a little abdominal pain and a lot of uncontrollable shaking and a cold in the bones. I thought that I was coming down with a bad cold. When I went to my doctor he had blood work done and on the same day he asked me to come in to see him. My enzymes were sky high. He never told me why they were so high. He says that he didn't know why. I had to go every week to have blood work done it never went higher, but after 6 weeks I started feeling better, but I never knew what cause it and I've been waiting to go for a liver biopsy now for almost a year, so is there something wrong yes or no?

Comment from: jwmom7172, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 05

After experiencing abdominal pain, nausea and vomiting, along with other autoimmune symptoms, such as, fibromyalgia, double case of iritis, and extreme sinusitis, my blood tests revealed mildly elevated ALT and AST. (Under 100 on each). The doctor decided after completing other tests to do a liver biopsy which revealed hepatitis. I was diagnosed with autoimmune hepatitis. For two years the enzymes were slightly elevated then went to normal for two years and now are elevated again with many of the same symptoms returning. The doctors don't know what is causing it.

Liver Blood Tests - Test Question: What were the results of your liver blood test?
Liver Blood Tests - Why Were You Tested? Question: Do you know why your doctor ordered liver blood tests? Please share your experience.