Patient Comments: Liver Blood Tests - Diagnosis

Please describe how Liver Blood Tests has helped in your diagnosis.

Comment from: jscwest, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 18

My blood test from my annual physical showed elevated enzyme level of 100, my doctor said they should be around 30. I drink and have been taking maximum dosages of Advil daily for the past 4 months for a chronic shoulder pain (arthritis).

Comment from: LilLance, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

My enzymes levels were slightly elevated in April (55 and 59). 3 months later they are around 177. I did drink quite a bit the night before an unexpected blood test. I'm waiting on getting an ultrasound.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 16

I had a random drink test at work and it was found that my level was 1.29mg and then 1.17 this was after 15 hours of not having any drink of alcohol what so ever. I am currently seeing my G.P. and I am having blood tests done as the enzymes are exceptionally high (917) can the medication that I am on affect an alcohol level? I was taking 2.5mg of bendroflumethiazide 20mg of lisiopril and 40mg of lipitor (atorvastatin).

Comment from: Gracie57, Female (Patient) Published: March 20

My particular results were at 78, which is only slightly elevated. I consider myself very lucky in that I have an excellent rheumatologist who watches my test results closely. I have severe rheumatoid arthritis and am on leflunomide, humira, and doxycycl as well as pain medication and several other drugs. I'm on the same pain meds that I've been on since the onset of RA 24 years ago. A bottle of pain meds used to last me one to three years if I wasn't in a flare-up. Unfortunately, for the last two years I have taken the max dosage every day, which is probably causing the difference in the lab results. Hopefully there is another pain medication out there that is strong enough to take away pain while still allowing the person to function on a limited level that isn't too rough on the liver.

Comment from: Sarah, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 07

I was pregnant with my daughter 10 years ago and developed HELLP syndrome, a condition that affects the liver while being pregnant. I had liver tests that indicated abnormal liver functions; therefore, my daughter was born six weeks premature as both I and my baby would have been at risk had I gone full term. Thanks to the medical team, and liver blood tests, both my daughter and I were OK.

Comment from: MRailey, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 03

I have had some liver problems ever since I had my gall bladder removed. I am trying to explain my pain under my right rib. I know the days that my enzymes are high by the way I feel. They said it was just muscle pain. I have not felt right in months. So I found a new family doctor after having severe headaches for a week. They did the routine blood work with liver test. My Alt was high and so was my AST. There is a family history of liver cancer. They did send me back for more liver function tests with a hepatic panel test and advanced test.

Comment from: David, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 03

Following an annual blood test my doctor said everything was fine apart from my liver which showed a reading of 60 when it should be under 50. He said this indicated I was drinking too much alcohol. What I want to know how bad is 60 and what does 50 mean?

Comment from: phyphy, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 03

I've got chronic Hep C about 8 years ago and recently my ALT an AST were elevated to 280 and 190 in January and they were dropped to 135 and 65 this month. Is it usual for a patient like me (chronic Hep C) to have elevated ALT and AST at this level? Should I look for a treatment immediately? I would appreciate your responses/advice.

Liver Blood Tests - Test Question: What were the results of your liver blood test?
Liver Blood Tests - Why Were You Tested? Question: Do you know why your doctor ordered liver blood tests? Please share your experience.