Patient Comments: Liver Blood Tests - Why Were You Tested?

Do you know why your doctor ordered liver blood tests? Please share your experience.

Comment from: Lee, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 01

My stepmom taught me that drinking 9 sips of water, then a large gulp of water cures hiccups, you don't have to hold your breath for this. Works for me, but just now so did holding my breath for 15 seconds.

Comment from: JoB, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 12

Rest assured this colonoscopy test is not painful. Take the drugs they offer during the test and you really won't feel any pain or embarrassment. It is very short and everyone is there to help you. Do not believe the horror stories! The worst part is drinking the preparation. I did the 2 part Suprep. First part at 6 pm followed by a quart of water and the second part (same quantities) at 4 AM because my test was at 8 AM. Getting that all down while feeling slightly nauseous was a bit tough. I added some mint leaves to the water and it did help. The gut cleansing was a bit messy. I suggest super soft tissue with aloe followed by some soothing vitamin E oil or aloe. That helped my skin from feeling raw. The test was over and done, clean bill of health! Beats what my sister is going through with stage 4 colon cancer! Do this thing!

Comment from: marzipan, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I had liver blood test done recently and the doctor rang me back and said they were very high, nearly 300. This has really frightened me. I do like a drink but I am addicted to Solpadeine. I buy about 8 packs of 24 a week he told me I was to stop this straight away and have my liver retested in 4 weeks again. I'm really scared about this.

Comment from: lovemom, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I recently went to the doctor with concerns of having some edema in my lower extremities. She went ahead and ordered blood work to check my liver (1 of many tests). All tests came back good, minus my liver test, my enzymes were high. I now, am going to get an ultrasound of my liver, and I am a little freaked out over this. I do not drink, I take very little OTC drugs, I am just sick over this.

Comment from: AnnieM, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

My AST and ALT recently came back at 285 and 365 respectively, along with a low platelet count and other mildly high levels of glucose and hemoglobin. The doctor feels it may be due to taking Tricor to lower triglycerides and Celebrex for osteonecrosis of the knee. On top of that, I enjoy a couple of glasses of wine a night. So, he has made me stop the medications and wine to see if those are the problem. Five months ago, before I started the medications the AST and ALT were normal. He also ordered a liver CT scan. I did have a hepatitis B immunization years ago. I am worried!

Comment from: Gee, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 06

Yesterday I have tested the blood LFT (liver function test) and found SGOT value 89 and SGPT 111. All other tests under LFT is ok.

Comment from: Selma, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

I do not drink alcohol, not even in mouthwash. I do have fatty liver and am a diabetic. My AST is 120 and ALT is 89. I am not a drug addict and have never been. I go to a specialist on July 7th. I have had elevated potassium and have lowered it by cutting out foods high in potassium.

Liver Blood Tests - Diagnosis Question: Please describe how Liver Blood Tests has helped in your diagnosis.
Liver Blood Tests - Test Question: What were the results of your liver blood test?