Liver (Anatomy and Function) Index
The liver is the largest gland and organ in the body. There are a variety of liver diseases caused by liver inflammation, scarring of the liver, infection of the liver, gallstones, cancer, toxins, genetic diseases, and blood flow problems. Symptoms of liver disease generally do not occur until the liver disease is advanced. Some symptoms of liver disease include jaundice, nausea and vomiting, easy bruising, bleeding excessively, fatigue, weakness, weight loss, shortness of breath, leg swelling, impotence, and confusion. Treatment of diseases of the liver depend upon the cause.
Patient Discussions - Viewers share their comments
Picture of Liver
Front View of the Liver. The liver is a large, meaty organ that sits on the right side of the belly. See a picture of the Liver...learn more »
In This Article
Blood in the Stool (Rectal Bleeding) Article
- Rectal bleeding (blood in stool) facts
- What does rectal bleeding (blood in stool) mean?
- What are causes of blood in the stool (rectal bleeding)?
- What diseases and conditions can cause blood in the stool (rectal bleeding)?
- Anal fissures
- Colon cancer and polyps
- Colitis and proctitis
- Meckel's diverticulum
- Rare causes of rectal bleeding
- What kind of doctor treats rectal bleeding?
- When should I call a doctor for blood in the stool (rectal bleeding)?
- How is the cause of blood in the stool (rectal bleeding) diagnosed?
- History and physical examination
- Flexible sigmoidoscopy
- Radionuclide scans
- Visceral angiogram
- Video capsule and small intestine endoscopy
- MRI and CT tomographic angiography
- Nasogastric tube aspiration
- Blood tests
- What is the treatment for rectal bleeding (blood in the stool)?
- Can rectal bleeding (blood in the stool) be prevented?
- What is the prognosis of rectal bleeding (blood in the stool)?
Liver disease can be cause by a variety of things including infection (hepatitis), diseases such as gallstones, high cholesterol...learn more »
Jaundice in adults may be caused by a variety of medical diseases or conditions. Some cases of jaundice can be managed at home...learn more »
In This Article
Jaundice (Adults) Article
- Jaundice definition
- Jaundice in adults
- What causes jaundice in adults?
- Pre-hepatic causes
- Hepatic causes
- Post-hepatic causes
- What are the symptoms of jaundice in adults?
- What are the risk factors for jaundice in adults?
- How is jaundice in adults diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for jaundice in adults?
- What are the
complications of jaundice in adults?
- Can jaundice in adults be prevented?
- What is the prognosis of jaundice in adults?