- Antiaging Tips & Secrets to Look Younger Slideshow
- Cosmetic Surgery Slideshow Pictures
- Skin Quiz: Test Your Skin IQ
- Find a local Plastic Surgeon in your town
- Introduction to liposuction
- Who is a good candidate for liposuction?
- What do I need to know before undergoing liposuction?
- How is the liposuction procedure done?
- What are the types of liposuction
- How long does recovery after liposuction last?
- Are the results of liposuction permanent?
- What are the risks of liposuction?
- Is liposuction covered by insurance?
Quick GuidePlastic Surgery: Before and After Photos of Cosmetic Surgeries
Introduction to Liposuction
"The battle of the bulge." That tiny, five-word phrase has been shoved in our faces for years, thanks to television, newspapers and magazines. Sometimes, no matter how hard you fight, the bulge has a tougher army. The fact is that certain people have fat cells that will not shrink, despite diet and exercise. You can thank heredity for that in some cases.
Liposuction is an option to remove small bulges that won't budge and to improve your body's shape. The areas most commonly treated include the hips, abdomen, thighs and buttocks and face. Liposuction does not remove cellulite, only fat.
Who Is a Good Candidate For Liposuction?
A good candidate for liposuction should have realistic expectations about the results of this procedure as well as these basic qualities:
- Average or slightly above-average weight
- Firm, elastic skin
- In good overall health
- Concentrated pockets of fat that do not respond well to diet and exercise
Patients with poor skin quality (cellulite) are not good candidates for liposuction because they may develop skin irregularities due to under- or over-correction of localized fat deposits. Age is generally not a major consideration when discussing liposuction; however, older patients often have less elasticity in their skin and thus may not achieve the same benefits of liposuction that a younger patient with tighter skin might achieve.
What Do I Need To Know Before Undergoing Liposuction?
The first step before undergoing liposuction will be to arrange a consultation with your surgeon. During the consultation, your surgeon will discuss which options are best for you, your skin type, the effectiveness and safety of the procedure, the potential financial cost and what your expectations should be. Do not hesitate to ask the surgeon any questions you may have. Now is not the time to be shy.
Once you have decided to undergo liposuction, your surgeon will give you any instructions you need to prepare for the surgery. This may include dietary or alcohol guidelines restrictions or the taking or avoiding of certain vitamins. Be sure to tell your surgeon of any allergies you have as well as any and all medications you are taking. This includes over-the-counter and prescription medications as well as herbal supplements.