- Antiaging Tips & Secrets Slideshow Pictures
- Cosmetic Surgery Slideshow Pictures
- Take the Skin Quiz
- Find a local Plastic Surgeon in your town
- Cosmetic procedures and lip augmentation
- Who are the best candidates for lip augmentation?
- What are the types of injections for lip enlargement
- Implants and surgeries for lip enhancement
- How long will my recovery take after lip augmentation surgery?
- How should I prepare for lip augmentation?
- What are the risks and complications of lip augmentation?
- When to call your doctor after the procedure
- Does insurance cover the cost of lip augmentation?
Quick GuideCosmetic Procedures: Botox, Laser, Peels Before and After Photos
After Lip Augmentation, Call Your Doctor Immediately If:
- You experience extreme swelling
- You develop a fever
Does Health Insurance Cover Lip Augmentation?
Insurance may cover lip augmentation if the procedure is being completed for reconstructive purposes, such as a congenital defect or as reconstruction after an injury or accident. However, if you are undergoing this procedure purely for cosmetic purposes, you're most likely on your own to pay the bill. Make sure you understand all of your doctor's charges, including anesthesia, follow-up care and hospital fees, if applicable. Obtain an estimate of the charges beforehand and work out a payment plan if necessary.
It's also very important that you realize elective cosmetic surgery may impact your current insurance. Your carrier can increase your premiums and it can affect future coverage. Ask your insurance carrier about its policy on elective, cosmetic surgery so you're not surprised in the future.
WebMD Medical Reference
Reviewed by Michael J. Wheatley, MD, on September 19, 2009