- Antiaging Tips & Secrets Slideshow Pictures
- Cosmetic Surgery Slideshow Pictures
- Take the Skin Quiz
- Find a local Plastic Surgeon in your town
- Cosmetic procedures and lip augmentation
- Who are the best candidates for lip augmentation?
- What are the types of injections for lip enlargement
- Implants and surgeries for lip enhancement
- How long will my recovery take after lip augmentation surgery?
- How should I prepare for lip augmentation?
- What are the risks and complications of lip augmentation?
- When to call your doctor after the procedure
- Does insurance cover the cost of lip augmentation?
Quick GuideCosmetic Procedures: Botox, Laser, Peels Before and After Photos
Lip Implants and Surgeries
You will most likely receive local anesthesia if you get a lip implant or have lip augmentation surgery. A procedure can take up to two hours at your doctor's office or outpatient center, depending on the complexity, and you will be sent home the same day.
Here are the options:
- Alloderm is a sheet of collagen created from deceased humans. Your surgeon inserts them through tiny incisions made on the inside part of the lip. This material offers only a temporary fix, lasting up to 12 months.
- Fat grafting is the surgical method of inserting your own fat into your lips to achieve the desired fullness. You may achieve permanent results, but this method varies from person to person. Because it's your own fat, there is a chance that your body can reabsorb it.
- Goretex, SoftForm, and soft ePTFE are synthetic materials that can achieve a permanent result. Unlike some of the other options we've listed above, your body will not absorb these. However, because they are synthetic, there is a risk of allergic reaction.
- Local flap grafts is a surgical procedure that takes tissue and skin from the inside flap of your mouth. It's far more invasive than any other technique, and is often the last resort among plastic surgeons.
Your surgeon may also be able to make an incision along the upper line of your lip.
How Long Will Recovery Take After Lip Augmentation?
It's important that you have someone with you who can drive you home after a lip augmentation procedure.
If you are having surgical implants or grafts, your recovery can take up to two weeks after the surgery.
It's important that you know yourself. Discuss how much time you think you'll need for recovery with your doctor. It may be necessary to take some time off work. You will need at least three days off from work, at minimum. If you are physically active, you will not be able to exercise for a few days after injections and perhaps for a few weeks after surgical implants.