- Bacterial Infections 101 Pictures Slideshow
- Take the Tummy Trouble Quiz
- Hepatitis C Slideshow Pictures
- What is lincomycin-oral, and how does it work (mechanism of action)?
- What brand names are available for lincomycin-oral?
- Is lincomycin-oral available as a generic drug?
- Do I need a prescription for lincomycin-oral?
- What are the side effects of lincomycin-oral?
- What is the dosage for lincomycin-oral?
- Which drugs or supplements interact with lincomycin-oral?
- Is lincomycin-oral safe to take if I'm pregnant or breastfeeding?
- What else should I know about lincomycin-oral?
What is lincomycin-oral, and how does it work (mechanism of action)?
Lincomycin is an injectable man-made antibiotic. Lincomycin kills bacteria by interfering with the ability of bacteria to produce important proteins necessary for them to survive. Lincomycin is effective against many types of bacteria including Staphylococcus aureus, Streptococcus pneumoniae, Streptococcus pyogenes, Propionibacterium acnes, and others. The FDA approved lincomycin in December 1964.
What brand names are available for lincomycin-oral?
Is lincomycin-oral available as a generic drug?
GENERIC AVAILABLE: No
Do I need a prescription for lincomycin-oral?
What are the side effects of lincomycin-oral?
Side effects of lincomycin are:
Like other antibiotics lincomycin can alter the normal bacteria in the colon and encourage overgrowth of some bacteria such as Clostridium difficile which causes inflammation of the colon (pseudomembranous colitis).
Patients who develop signs of pseudomembranous colitis after treatment with lincomycin should contact their physician immediately. They may experience:
Quick GuideSymptoms of Mono: Infectious Mononucleosis Treatment
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Need help identifying pills and medications?
Use the pill identifier tool on RxList.