Patient Comments: Lichen Sclerosus - Treatment

What types of treatment, surgery, or medication did you receive for lichen sclerosus?

Comment from: 12 year suffer, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 03

I first took an antihistamine for lichen sclerosus which helped. Bromelain and quercetin also give relief. I wish I had tried them earlier.

Comment from: Arty, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

I am undergoing da Vinci soft touch laser treatment for lichen sclerosus. I understand it cures it; not cheap.

Comment from: Barbie51, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

After almost 2 years of trying to treat the symptoms myself, not knowing it was lichen sclerosus, I made an appointment to see a gynecologist, and without even needing to visually examine me, she knew what it was. I was prescribed clobetasol cream, to be used twice daily, for 6 weeks. It did an amazing job of clearing it up after 4 or 5 days; however, 3 or 4 days after I stopped the treatment, the symptoms returned. I was then instructed to use it for another 2 to 3 weeks, then go to twice weekly. So far, it seems to control it better if I apply it every other day.

Comment from: learninglady, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I also had a slight rash on my shoulders for a few months. Next I thought I cut myself with toilet paper. It burned like crazy when I urinated. I drank water with baking soda which neutralized the acid in my urine and took away the burning. I went to the doctor within a few months. He did a biopsy which showed I have lichen sclerosus. He prescribed clobetasol. I used it a few times but did not like it. I started using plain inexpensive castor oil, applied 2 times a day. It works great. It has been about 4 months now. I'll go back to the doctor in another 4 months and see what he thinks. Other women should try castor oil too.

Comment from: Rikky, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I am 47 and have been diagnosed over a year ago with lichen sclerosus. It is spreading and has now covered my whole vagina and down to my perineum. I have been prescribed 4 kinds of steroid cream, and nothing works. I am in constant pain, making it difficult to sit, walk anything. I haven't been able to be intimate, as the skin splits every time. I am very frustrated, as no doctor seems to know how to alleviate my pain and suffering. I am mother to a little 5 year old, and most days I am tired, and sore, which makes me a very grumpy mum.

Comment from: L., 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 10

My treatment for lichen sclerosus was mupirocin and Dermovate. I have been using them for a year already. I have a slight improvement, but mostly not cured. I wonder if one day science will find a final treatment for this terribly aching disease, for the quality of life is very affected by it.

Comment from: Rose, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

I was diagnosed via biopsy 8 years ago for lichen sclerosus. This is an awful disease which is relentless in its attacks of itching and soreness. I have been prescribed Dermol until recently when I had an adverse reaction with pain in the groin after medication. I am now using the Perrin's cream which is ok but I still get a slight tenderness which I am going to discuss with my dermatologist who I visit every few months. I do get thrush a lot which I am convinced is connected in some way. I am 62 years old.

Comment from: April, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 01

I have been treated for lichen sclerosus for at least 35 years with Premarin vaginal cream. I was told if untreated it could lead to cancer. I recently was diagnosed for breast cancer. I wonder if the use of this hormone could have contributed to my getting breast cancer.

Lichen Sclerosus - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with lichen sclerosus?
Lichen Sclerosus - Diagnosis Question: Please describe the events and tests that led to a diagnosis of lichen sclerosus.
Lichen Sclerosus - Doctors Question: What type of doctor did you see for your lichen sclerosus? Were you referred to a specialist?