Patient Comments: Lichen Sclerosus - Diagnosis

Please describe the events and tests that led to a diagnosis of lichen sclerosus.

Comment from: sarah, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I came down with an incredibly painful itch on my labia. I changed my soap, washed with a mild oatmeal soap, washed with no soap, did everything, but the itch and the pain simply got worse. Finally I went to my general physician who referred me to a Gynecologist. She immediately scheduled me for a "patch" biopsy, a procedure which takes out a tiny piece of skin from the infected area for testing. It was diagnosed that I have Lichen Sclerosus!

Comment from: Pumpernickel, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I had a Brazilian waxing that was done incorrectly. It left some tears in my skin at the very top of my labia. As it healed it started to itch and that led to a chronic lichen sclerosus condition. It took a few years to get a diagnosis and then treat with clobetasol successfully.

Comment from: cricketinaz, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I used different cream's to try and get rid of the patches, but nothing helped. After a year of self treating, I went to a dermatologist. I had also began losing my hair and had a few bald spot's and was freaking out trying to figure out what was wrong with me. He told me the two were not related, but had no idea what the patches were. He scrapped a few pieces off and looked at them under a microscope, but still didn't know. He told me the only option was a biopsy. I couldn't afford that so I left with no answer. A few month's went by and one of the patches turned bright purple and I thought it was skin cancer. Went to another clinic and asked for a biopsy. They did not want to do one but I insisted that they did. That's how I found out it was lichen's.

Lichen Sclerosus - Symptoms Question: What were your symptoms associated with lichen sclerosus?
Lichen Sclerosus - Treatment Question: What types of treatment, surgery, or medication did you receive for lichen sclerosus?
Lichen Sclerosus - Doctors Question: What type of doctor did you see for your lichen sclerosus? Were you referred to a specialist?