Patient Comments: Lichen Sclerosus - Symptoms

What were your symptoms associated with lichen sclerosus?

Comment from: Dorothy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

Several years ago I thought I had an STD! Went to gynecologist and he thought it was lichen sclerosis and biopsy confirmed it. I had surgery to remove the spots. Now it's back and burns like fire when I urinate. I don't want surgery again so I'm looking for a better treatment. I think it's interesting they think it may be caused by overactive immune system because I have other issues related to that.

Comment from: kat24k, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

With lichen sclerosus I have itching, bleeding, and pain.

Comment from: ThingsCanGetBetter, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

Had severe problems from time I was a child, and it wasn't until I was in my 30s that I finally researched online and based on my symptoms found lichen sclerosus. After a few more years of pain and anguish I set my embarrassment aside and at an annual OB appointment (after she was all done and said you're good to go again this year....) I asked her specifically... "Do you think those patches (which were milk bottle white) down there could be lichen sclerosus?" She took another look and said, "Yes, I believe so." I was stupefied. She actually KNEW the ailment and never even brought it up to me prior to my asking. She prescribed a topical ointment - Clobetasol. I used it every day to start. Within 2 months things healed over and normal color returned. No more itching. No more tears or open sores. No pain. Normal - except for all the scarring that had already occurred over the years. Now 3 years later, I use it once a month and have had no additional problems. I am ecstatic to be feeling so good and thankful for her knowing what to prescribe .But also REALLY aggravated that NONE of my OBs over the years ever questioned or addressed the white and broken skin. I lived with this for years when a simple ointment could have brought me relief. Things CAN be better. Discard your embarrassment and get help. Even if you have to be persistent.

Comment from: betty, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

I had incredible itching, then noticed a lesion/raw spot and went to ob/gyn. Tested for yeast infection and herpes, both negative. I was told to soak in tub several times a day, use soaps, detergents, etc. with no perfumes. Finally went to a gyn specialist who knew exactly what it was, biopsy confirmed. Treated w/steroid ointments and cream. That was eight years ago and it is still an ongoing issue.

Comment from: cricketinaz, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I noticed white roundish patches on my back around the shoulder area. They were a little itchy.

Lichen Sclerosus - Diagnosis Question: Please describe the events and tests that led to a diagnosis of lichen sclerosus.
Lichen Sclerosus - Treatment Question: What types of treatment, surgery, or medication did you receive for lichen sclerosus?
Lichen Sclerosus - Doctors Question: What type of doctor did you see for your lichen sclerosus? Were you referred to a specialist?