Patient Comments: Lichen Planus - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms and signs of your lichen planus?

Comment from: Lainey, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

My problem began with 1 bright red bump on the top of my foot. It didn't itch, but then small bumps appeared around it. I decided to see my dermatologist who diagnosed it as lichen planus. Then he biopsied to confirm. By then the rash spread to my calves and thighs. Itchy, itchy. The doctor gave me a cream to help the itchiness and calm it down. It helps a little. Now above and below my waist is covered and very itchy. I want it to stop, I hate it!

Comment from: KIone, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 23

I have had lichen planus for 5 plus years starting on my hands and feet and eventually settling in my mouth. Nothing seems to help in my mouth. I have white little blisters and it hurts all the time. The taste of food is metallic after I eat. I have had little to no relief in 5 years and there are days I want to just cry but I don't!

Comment from: Allene, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I have oral lichen planus. I first started noticing little blisters in my mouth that would break and be sore for a couple of days. I also felt ridges on the inside of my cheeks. Eating sugar seemed to aggravate it. I noticed that artificial sweeteners in soft drinks and chewing gum also made my mouth break out more. Recently my oral hygienist told me my mouth was the worst she had ever seen and that I had a couple of ulcers in my mouth. I had chewed some sugar free gum over the weekend. I am trying to cut out as much sugar and sugar substitutes as I can to see if it makes a difference. It has been about a week now, and my mouth is feeling better.

Comment from: PontGTO, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 29

I noticed after a visit to my orthodontist I contracted a sinus infection. A few weeks later I had a root canal done and the dentist said I had a white patch in my mouth and it could be from brushing to hard. Then I noticed my tongue would burn and my mouth became sensitive to spicy/hot foods. So I looked inside my mouth and was shocked to see white and red patches. This was devastating, I thought oral cancer, but then I had none of the symptoms when researched, so as I dug further into the disease world I found (on my own) that I had every symptom of lichen planus. Of course I thought of when I had this before and it went away in about 7 weeks. What I did to rectify this problem was taking 3000 milligrams of penicillin and 30 milligrams of prednisone and 600 milligrams of selenium for 10 days and this seemed to work very well.

Comment from: giello, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I thought I was getting canker sores on the inside of my cheeks. I went to my ear, nose, and throat doctor. He immediately said I had oral lichen planus. This was last August of 2013 we tried antiviral and nothing happened. The burning was difficult to take. It was hard to eat or drink. I was in constant touch with the doctor, and we tried small doses of prednisone for 10 days. I noticed it felt less painful, but not gone. I get thrush on occasion, and I needed fluconazole. After 7 days, my mouth started to clear significantly. Just about 3 weeks ago, I was put on 20 mgs of prednisone a day for ten days along with 150 mgs of fluconazole. Today is my last day on medications and for the first time in 10 months, I am clear, no outbreak! I can only hope that it's gone forever.

Comment from: suzyk, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

There is relief from lichen planus especially in your mouth. Gengigel is incredible, it calms the pain and itch and it takes it away much quicker than I thought would be possible.

Comment from: Gharris, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 15

I have experienced many reoccurring episodes of lichen planus over the years. Very painful and frustratingly hard to get diagnosed and treated. Finally treatment success with ultra violet light treatment. It is the cure and after a few treatments seems to diminish the itching. I have been free now for 12 years.

Lichen Planus - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with lichen planus.
Lichen Planus - Diagnosis Question: What types of tests or exams led to a diagnosis of lichen planus?
Lichen Planus - Treatment Question: What forms of medical treatment, including medication, did you receive for lichen planus?
Lichen Planus - Prognosis Question: Discuss your experience with lichen planus. Have you had any recurrences?