Patient Comments: Lichen Planus - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms and signs of your lichen planus?

Comment from: Mouthy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

Four years ago I had an endoscopy. The next day I was hospitalized for the ulcers in my mouth and throat. A year later, it was diagnosed as lichen planus, after a biopsy. The rashes are painful and frequent; my mouth oozes blood at night; my cheeks swell so that my teeth cut them open; my legs, scalp and back are covered with lesions and I am in constant pain. I have seen 6 different doctors and specialists, to no avail. They aren't even giving me treatment or they try to pass it off as eczema even though the biopsy says it is lichen planus. I am at my wits end. Good luck to all and I wish you well.

Comment from: PAT, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

My lichen planus began years ago; I had very dry skin and places on my arms that felt bruised yet the doctor just told me it was my age, at the time I was 42. I at times felt my fingernails were on fire and couldn't find relief from this and couldn't tolerate any kind of cold and still can't. My skin got these little brown patches and when I scratched them it would break and clear fluid would be there and it would burn like when you burn yourself only they weren't burns. It would leave a hole there and then dry up and heal but others would take its place. Then it got to where I am today, imagine going from age 42 to 60 before finding a doctor that said, hey that's lichen planus. Finally, but then finding there's a way to help but not cure; well, it's good to know.

Comment from: Rae, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I have had lichen planus on the under right side of my tongue for about 5 years after I was put on hydroxychloroquine. The whitish eruptions are very painful. About 2 months ago the eruptions changed and the pain and the change in the eruptions and a node in my neck that was starting to swell sent me to my doctor. They did a biopsy and now I have squamous cell carcinoma of my tongue. I will be having surgery soon after going through clinical trials to shrink the tumor. After stopping the hydroxychloroquine the lichen planus is fading.

Comment from: Linda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

For over two years now, I have suffered from this awful malady. My body reacted to a medication for diabetes and after 9 months of misery, lichen planus was finally diagnosed. It first appeared as a rash on my thighs, front and back, with blisters that bled and bumps in my mouth and sores on my tongue. It quickly spread to my vagina, anus and labia. After removing all acidic foods for the last two years, I again tried tomatoes with no problems. I have added back most foods but have found that I still can't eat garlic or pineapple. The garlic triggered a nasty outbreak but I felt it immediately as my esophagus swelled making it difficult to swallow. Unfortunately, it affected my entire digestive tract and I am again suffering the intense itching and lesions in the genital area. I found that sucking on cinnamon or peppermint candies immediately reduces the swelling, bumps and lesions in my mouth. It burns but afterward the swelling is reduced. I am yet to find a relief for that.

Comment from: lorna, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 08

My experience with lichen planus began three years ago with the appearance of white patches on the inside of my cheeks. It was diagnosed by my dentist who sent me to a specialist. By the time I went, the disease had taken the form of painful, crater-like ulcers inside my mouth and raised blisters on my tongue. Like many seniors, I have been prescribed a number of medications, many of which cause a very dry mouth, and I suspect this is what started it. It dies down sometimes for a few days or weeks, but this last outbreak has gone on for months. It no sooner heals in one place than it erupts in another. I've been prescribed a special mouthwash but lately it hasn't been much help. Any acidic, spicy, even strong-flavored food, like nippy cheese, exacerbates the condition. I also have very sore and itchy flare-ups in the genital region.

Comment from: 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I have been diagnosed with lichen planus of my oral cavity, about 20 years ago by my dentist. Symptoms are sore gums with white spots in my mouth. At this time, I still have it.

Lichen Planus - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with lichen planus.
Lichen Planus - Diagnosis Question: What types of tests or exams led to a diagnosis of lichen planus?
Lichen Planus - Treatment Question: What forms of medical treatment, including medication, did you receive for lichen planus?
Lichen Planus - Prognosis Question: Discuss your experience with lichen planus. Have you had any recurrences?