Patient Comments: Lichen Planus - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms and signs of your lichen planus?

Comment from: Allene, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I have oral lichen planus. I first started noticing little blisters in my mouth that would break and be sore for a couple of days. I also felt ridges on the inside of my cheeks. Eating sugar seemed to aggravate it. I noticed that artificial sweeteners in soft drinks and chewing gum also made my mouth break out more. Recently my oral hygienist told me my mouth was the worst she had ever seen and that I had a couple of ulcers in my mouth. I had chewed some sugar free gum over the weekend. I am trying to cut out as much sugar and sugar substitutes as I can to see if it makes a difference. It has been about a week now, and my mouth is feeling better.

Comment from: PontGTO, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 29

I noticed after a visit to my orthodontist I contracted a sinus infection. A few weeks later I had a root canal done and the dentist said I had a white patch in my mouth and it could be from brushing to hard. Then I noticed my tongue would burn and my mouth became sensitive to spicy/hot foods. So I looked inside my mouth and was shocked to see white and red patches. This was devastating, I thought oral cancer, but then I had none of the symptoms when researched, so as I dug further into the disease world I found (on my own) that I had every symptom of lichen planus. Of course I thought of when I had this before and it went away in about 7 weeks. What I did to rectify this problem was taking 3000 milligrams of penicillin and 30 milligrams of prednisone and 600 milligrams of selenium for 10 days and this seemed to work very well.

Comment from: giello, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I thought I was getting canker sores on the inside of my cheeks. I went to my ear, nose, and throat doctor. He immediately said I had oral lichen planus. This was last August of 2013 we tried antiviral and nothing happened. The burning was difficult to take. It was hard to eat or drink. I was in constant touch with the doctor, and we tried small doses of prednisone for 10 days. I noticed it felt less painful, but not gone. I get thrush on occasion, and I needed fluconazole. After 7 days, my mouth started to clear significantly. Just about 3 weeks ago, I was put on 20 mgs of prednisone a day for ten days along with 150 mgs of fluconazole. Today is my last day on medications and for the first time in 10 months, I am clear, no outbreak! I can only hope that it's gone forever.

Comment from: Mouthy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

Four years ago I had an endoscopy. The next day I was hospitalized for the ulcers in my mouth and throat. A year later, it was diagnosed as lichen planus, after a biopsy. The rashes are painful and frequent; my mouth oozes blood at night; my cheeks swell so that my teeth cut them open; my legs, scalp and back are covered with lesions and I am in constant pain. I have seen 6 different doctors and specialists, to no avail. They aren't even giving me treatment or they try to pass it off as eczema even though the biopsy says it is lichen planus. I am at my wits end. Good luck to all and I wish you well.

Comment from: PAT, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

My lichen planus began years ago; I had very dry skin and places on my arms that felt bruised yet the doctor just told me it was my age, at the time I was 42. I at times felt my fingernails were on fire and couldn't find relief from this and couldn't tolerate any kind of cold and still can't. My skin got these little brown patches and when I scratched them it would break and clear fluid would be there and it would burn like when you burn yourself only they weren't burns. It would leave a hole there and then dry up and heal but others would take its place. Then it got to where I am today, imagine going from age 42 to 60 before finding a doctor that said, hey that's lichen planus. Finally, but then finding there's a way to help but not cure; well, it's good to know.

Comment from: Rosie1, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 03

I have had lichen planus for eight years, I recently found a cure for the itching, and since using it I have had no itching. In the past I have torn my skin to pieces on my ankles and lower leg, no sleep and swelling on my ankles as well. I don't say it's a cure but it does stop the swellings, they have gone down and no itching. The treatment is with a wash called Difflam, gargle with it but do not swallow, gently rub the liquid onto the skin area affected. Good Luck, I hope it helps you.

Lichen Planus - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with lichen planus.
Lichen Planus - Diagnosis Question: What types of tests or exams led to a diagnosis of lichen planus?
Lichen Planus - Treatment Question: What forms of medical treatment, including medication, did you receive for lichen planus?
Lichen Planus - Prognosis Question: Discuss your experience with lichen planus. Have you had any recurrences?