Patient Comments: Lichen Planus - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms and signs of your lichen planus?

Comment from: alamogirl2, Published: July 28

This morning as my alarm rang, I turned over to hit the snooze. As I did this, I got dizzy. It wasn't the type of dizziness you feel when you suddenly get up. It was like the room was spinning, but I felt it in my head. It lasted about 2 seconds. I stayed in bed for about 5 minutes and got up. I didn't feel nauseous, and my head didn't hurt. It was a strange feeling! I have experienced that same sensation approximately 2 other times in my life. I was younger then, so I ignored it. I don't know how many times I've turned over to turn the alarm off, and I've never gotten dizzy.

Comment from: Naomi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 01

I woke up early in the morning (3:30) with nausea which eventually became 'throw up'. Since then I have thrown up about 9 times; the last one just now at 11 AM. Diarrhea began shortly after the first throw up episode and I have had probably 12 to 13 episodes, the last one around 10:45 AM. I have not eaten anything, took Pepto-Bismol around 7:30 AM, but threw it up shortly afterwards. I had a clear drink similar to Sprite which resulted in the 11 AM throw up episode. I have chills, but no pain, and my tongue and teeth are black. Last meal was 2 BBQ hotlinks (fresh) and Spanish rice made from a packet of dried rice with seasoning. I had purchased it over a year ago, and feel this may be the cause. I have had food poisoning in the past, but it never lasted this long.

Comment from: Lainey, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

My problem began with 1 bright red bump on the top of my foot. It didn't itch, but then small bumps appeared around it. I decided to see my dermatologist who diagnosed it as lichen planus. Then he biopsied to confirm. By then the rash spread to my calves and thighs. Itchy, itchy. The doctor gave me a cream to help the itchiness and calm it down. It helps a little. Now above and below my waist is covered and very itchy. I want it to stop, I hate it!

Comment from: KIone, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 23

I have had lichen planus for 5 plus years starting on my hands and feet and eventually settling in my mouth. Nothing seems to help in my mouth. I have white little blisters and it hurts all the time. The taste of food is metallic after I eat. I have had little to no relief in 5 years and there are days I want to just cry but I don't!

Comment from: Allene, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I have oral lichen planus. I first started noticing little blisters in my mouth that would break and be sore for a couple of days. I also felt ridges on the inside of my cheeks. Eating sugar seemed to aggravate it. I noticed that artificial sweeteners in soft drinks and chewing gum also made my mouth break out more. Recently my oral hygienist told me my mouth was the worst she had ever seen and that I had a couple of ulcers in my mouth. I had chewed some sugar free gum over the weekend. I am trying to cut out as much sugar and sugar substitutes as I can to see if it makes a difference. It has been about a week now, and my mouth is feeling better.

Comment from: suzyk, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

There is relief from lichen planus especially in your mouth. Gengigel is incredible, it calms the pain and itch and it takes it away much quicker than I thought would be possible.

Comment from: PontGTO, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 29

I noticed after a visit to my orthodontist I contracted a sinus infection. A few weeks later I had a root canal done and the dentist said I had a white patch in my mouth and it could be from brushing to hard. Then I noticed my tongue would burn and my mouth became sensitive to spicy/hot foods. So I looked inside my mouth and was shocked to see white and red patches. This was devastating, I thought oral cancer, but then I had none of the symptoms when researched, so as I dug further into the disease world I found (on my own) that I had every symptom of lichen planus. Of course I thought of when I had this before and it went away in about 7 weeks. What I did to rectify this problem was taking 3000 milligrams of penicillin and 30 milligrams of prednisone and 600 milligrams of selenium for 10 days and this seemed to work very well.

Lichen Planus - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with lichen planus.
Lichen Planus - Diagnosis Question: What types of tests or exams led to a diagnosis of lichen planus?
Lichen Planus - Treatment Question: What forms of medical treatment, including medication, did you receive for lichen planus?
Lichen Planus - Prognosis Question: Discuss your experience with lichen planus. Have you had any recurrences?