Patient Comments: Lichen Planus - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms and signs of your lichen planus?

Comment from: too many problems, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I was diagnosed with lichen planus about 2 years ago but went to many doctors before a dentist told me to go to a dental university. That is 2 hours each way for me. I had biopsy on my mouth and also had problems with my vagina. I went to another doctor for my vagina both biopsy were positive for lichen planus. My mouth had bad lesions on my upper gums and the pain from intercourse during intercourse is unbearable. So now I have two different Doctors and now I am breaking out on my wrist, forearms and shins. I need one doctor who could take care of all my breakout areas instead of three. I also have fibromyalgia and lupus, I am 63 years old.

Comment from: chopperone, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 30

My lichen planus started 3 months ago with bumps on my scalp that became uncontrollably itchy. I really didn't give any thought to it because I always shave my head bald and accumulate small bumps from time to time. But this time it was different, though the bumps went away, I noticed brown spots on my scalp. Finally last month I was diagnosed with lichen planus. We've controlled the itchiness for now, so we're working on the brown spots.

Comment from: Duffy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 23

I have had lichen plan us for about 4 to 5years. I use calmoseptine to relieve the pain and itch. It doesn't cure anything, but it feels much better. It is used for diaper rash so it is safe for the vulva. I found that rinsing my mouth with salt water everyday helps with the bleeding gums and sore cheeks. My doctor said today that he wished he could find a cure and name it after me. There is nothing new on the market for those of us with this nasty condition. A support group would be a great idea, since I know no one else with this. Most people and many doctors have never heard of it. Good luck out there.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 23

My lichen planus was diagnosed with a skin biopsy two years ago after about 10 years of a rash progressively getting worse. It affects both my forearms, from elbow to the outer wrist, gets intensely itchy and bleeds when scratched -- but the itching seems to stop then. I have the purple spotty form (very unsightly), but also non purple itchy lumps especially in my elbow creases. I use cortisone creams but will try Chinese herbs next. It is a frustrating condition as I never know when it will flare up except that when I sweat or get hot. Sometimes certain materials next to skin will aggravate it (wool or rough surface is diabolical). I moisturize very well and do not use soap, as this helps. It is worse since menopause. Anyone have any other remedies?

Comment from: jillpill, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I have had this for about 2 years but had an outbreak when I was 30 but it didn't last long mouth sore I had to but numb med to eat or drink it sucks bad some foods burns my mouth and tears roll down my face bumps all over my legs put cortisone on them and they heal only to have more pop up overnight it's in our blood stream, did a biopsy and it was confirmed. My mouth is what is my most painful can't chew gum...hope we find a cure soon GOD help us

Comment from: fergiesgirl44, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 22

I have had lichen planus for years. Mine is on my feet and ankles. It iches like crazy and I scratch until they bleed. I was told that there was no cure for it. I need to find some help, sometimes I itch so bad, I wish I could just cut off my feet! I am embarrassed to wear sandles in public because people ask all the time what is wrong with me. I can't blame them because it looks contagious.

Comment from: lindalew, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 05

I have had lichen planus since I was in my 20's. It would show itself about once every five years or so. Right after I turned 60 it came to stay. It is on my right arm and leg and between my thighs and the labia. I find that if I eat any kind of chips it will bother me or drink coffee. Nothing the doctors have given me has helped. Prednisone helped at first but not now.

Lichen Planus - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with lichen planus.
Lichen Planus - Diagnosis Question: What types of tests or exams led to a diagnosis of lichen planus?
Lichen Planus - Treatment Question: What forms of medical treatment, including medication, did you receive for lichen planus?
Lichen Planus - Prognosis Question: Discuss your experience with lichen planus. Have you had any recurrences?