Patient Comments: Lichen Planus - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms and signs of your lichen planus?

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 23

My lichen planus was diagnosed with a skin biopsy two years ago after about 10 years of a rash progressively getting worse. It affects both my forearms, from elbow to the outer wrist, gets intensely itchy and bleeds when scratched -- but the itching seems to stop then. I have the purple spotty form (very unsightly), but also non purple itchy lumps especially in my elbow creases. I use cortisone creams but will try Chinese herbs next. It is a frustrating condition as I never know when it will flare up except that when I sweat or get hot. Sometimes certain materials next to skin will aggravate it (wool or rough surface is diabolical). I moisturize very well and do not use soap, as this helps. It is worse since menopause. Anyone have any other remedies?

Comment from: jillpill, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I have had this for about 2 years but had an outbreak when I was 30 but it didn't last long mouth sore I had to but numb med to eat or drink it sucks bad some foods burns my mouth and tears roll down my face bumps all over my legs put cortisone on them and they heal only to have more pop up overnight it's in our blood stream, did a biopsy and it was confirmed. My mouth is what is my most painful can't chew gum...hope we find a cure soon GOD help us

Comment from: fergiesgirl44, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 22

I have had lichen planus for years. Mine is on my feet and ankles. It iches like crazy and I scratch until they bleed. I was told that there was no cure for it. I need to find some help, sometimes I itch so bad, I wish I could just cut off my feet! I am embarrassed to wear sandles in public because people ask all the time what is wrong with me. I can't blame them because it looks contagious.

Comment from: lindalew, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 05

I have had lichen planus since I was in my 20's. It would show itself about once every five years or so. Right after I turned 60 it came to stay. It is on my right arm and leg and between my thighs and the labia. I find that if I eat any kind of chips it will bother me or drink coffee. Nothing the doctors have given me has helped. Prednisone helped at first but not now.

Comment from: Sue, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

My lichens appeared on my lower legs after I received chemotherapy 10 years ago for breast cancer. No treatment till today cured the disease. I went to a dermatologist about 2 years after the lichens appeared for the first time. None of the prescribed creams I used cured my problem.

Comment from: Susithedancer, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I had lichen planus with brown finger nails for a couple of years and no one could tell me why. I eventually went to a different dermatologist and he asked to look in my mouth and found the lacey look inside my cheeks. The brown nails finally went away, but my mouth inside the cheeks sloughs thin layers of skin.

Comment from: laura, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 26

I control my oral lichen planus with golden seal root, only thing to ever help after 5 years. Mine showed up two weeks after a tooth implant.

Lichen Planus - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with lichen planus.
Lichen Planus - Diagnosis Question: What types of tests or exams led to a diagnosis of lichen planus?
Lichen Planus - Treatment Question: What forms of medical treatment, including medication, did you receive for lichen planus?
Lichen Planus - Prognosis Question: Discuss your experience with lichen planus. Have you had any recurrences?