Patient Comments: Lichen Planus - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms and signs of your lichen planus?

Comment from: heididoll, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

I am 42, female, married w/two children. I have had Lichen Planus since the mid 90's. It first started as a little spot on the top of my right foot and because it itched so bad I would scratch it until it would bleed but it felt so good to scratch. A few years later it started to show up on my ankle then a year later it showed up on my left ankle and now the outer side of my legs but below my knee. I also am getting spots on my elbows and wrist. I also have oral Lichen Planus that makes my gums swell and bleed when brushed. I agree that stress makes it worse. I quit drinking alcohol over a year ago since I noticed that it made my legs swell which made them itch like crazy. I can't give up caffeine but I'm sure that doesn't help either. I have other health issues but can't seem to link them to the Lichen Planus. I really feel bad for anyone who has to experience this horrible disease. I don't wear sandals, shorts or short sleeve shirts, not because my skin looks so bad (it does) but because the sun makes it worse. It took several trips to the Dermo to figure out what I had and then a biopsy to confirm. My dentist took one look at my mouth and told me what I had. I have not experienced one medication that helps at all. I feel your pain.

Comment from: Elizabeth, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 09

I have had outbreaks over the years and stress seems to make it worse along with salt and spices. I currently have it the worst ever in my mouth. The sores are so deep that I can feel my jaw bone, and eating is difficult. I'm noticing dark patches on my lips and the skin darkening around my mouth. I'm not sure if this is related and not sure how long it will last. Most outbreaks in the past lasted several months. This has been going on for about five months.

Comment from: Martypants, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 07

I have suffered with oral lichen planus for 6 years now. I think that it is definitely stress related as just a few months ago after a stressful episode I started to get spots on my arms and the back of my legs. Exercises like running is a great stress reliever and I hope that this will ease my symptoms.

Comment from: Merreymae, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 02

My dentist said she sees lichen planus in women of a certain age. She believes it is because of low estrogen. When I take estrogen, it subsides. I was using a keratin shampoo when I got it on my arms. When I scrubbed my arms after shampooing or did not use the shampoo, it went away.

Comment from: 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I have been diagnosed with lichen planus of my oral cavity, about 20 years ago by my dentist. Symptoms are sore gums with white spots in my mouth. At this time, I still have it.

Comment from: LIgal149, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 20

I was 62 year old and was just told I have Lichen Planus. It started on my right leg (shin area) and a little on my left shin. they did a biopsy which confirmed it. God I hope I don't get it in my mouth like other people have that I read about. I don't know how it started, I think it was a bite but not sure. I'm using Clobetasol Propionate which as stopped the itching and seems to be going away. The Dr. told me it can be caused by Hepatitis c which scared me to death since I never did drugs, then I saw this web site and how many people have it. Well I guess I've joined the club. I also have pain in my left side and knee going down my leg . I have sever osteo in my spine and hips. It's tough getting old! God Bless us all who have this.

Comment from: lee, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 02

I've had this for three years. It gets better and worse, but never goes away. Diet doesn't help, nor do the creams or shots. It seems like it's some kind of a plant with a brain! Stress and spicy food make it worse.

Comment from: Jennybell, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I'm 63 and have had lichens planus since my 20s. I joked to my doctor that the only two places I hadn't had it were on my face and fanny. Big mistake! I just had a severe episode on my outer and inner labia, traveling down to my mid-thigh. I got over that flare-up and now have it all over my lips. My doctor prescribed Betnovate.

Lichen Planus - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with lichen planus.
Lichen Planus - Diagnosis Question: What types of tests or exams led to a diagnosis of lichen planus?
Lichen Planus - Treatment Question: What forms of medical treatment, including medication, did you receive for lichen planus?
Lichen Planus - Prognosis Question: Discuss your experience with lichen planus. Have you had any recurrences?