Patient Comments: Lichen Planus - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms and signs of your lichen planus?

Comment from: Elizabeth, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 09

I have had outbreaks over the years and stress seems to make it worse along with salt and spices. I currently have it the worst ever in my mouth. The sores are so deep that I can feel my jaw bone, and eating is difficult. I'm noticing dark patches on my lips and the skin darkening around my mouth. I'm not sure if this is related and not sure how long it will last. Most outbreaks in the past lasted several months. This has been going on for about five months.

Comment from: LIgal149, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 20

I was 62 year old and was just told I have Lichen Planus. It started on my right leg (shin area) and a little on my left shin. they did a biopsy which confirmed it. God I hope I don't get it in my mouth like other people have that I read about. I don't know how it started, I think it was a bite but not sure. I'm using Clobetasol Propionate which as stopped the itching and seems to be going away. The Dr. told me it can be caused by Hepatitis c which scared me to death since I never did drugs, then I saw this web site and how many people have it. Well I guess I've joined the club. I also have pain in my left side and knee going down my leg . I have sever osteo in my spine and hips. It's tough getting old! God Bless us all who have this.

Comment from: lee, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 02

I've had this for three years. It gets better and worse, but never goes away. Diet doesn't help, nor do the creams or shots. It seems like it's some kind of a plant with a brain! Stress and spicy food make it worse.

Comment from: Jennybell, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I'm 63 and have had lichens planus since my 20s. I joked to my doctor that the only two places I hadn't had it were on my face and fanny. Big mistake! I just had a severe episode on my outer and inner labia, traveling down to my mid-thigh. I got over that flare-up and now have it all over my lips. My doctor prescribed Betnovate.

Comment from: Sammo, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 15

I've just been diagnosed with lichen planus. It first started as itching on both my feet and then my ankles. I now have it on both my legs, wrists and hands, front and back of them. They are super itchy. The doctor I work for gave me Triamcinalone cream. It helps slowly but, I noticed a difference in irritation after a few days of use. My feet don't itch nearly as bad and the spots on my wrists don't look as irritated. I've never had any type of skin issues so this was weird. I don't take any medications and as far as I know I haven't been exposed to anything out of the ordinary. I had one person tell me it was an autoimmune response to stress. So, I'll try stressing less and see how it goes.

Comment from: Erica, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I try so hard to keep my stress level down. But it is way too hard to do when I was diagnosed with lichen planus when I was 14. I've had it for a year now. My dermatologist had never seen such a severe condition. It started off on my wrist, then slowly over a month it got chronic and worse. It was spreading severely. I had to go to the ER because I had blisters on the bottom of my feet that were as big as baseballs. I couldn't walk. Now I'm almost 15 and I still currently have lichen planus. Every time I get lowered on steroids I get outbreaks. I mean I have outbreaks when I'm on a high dose but they are not fresh. I just would just really like to talk to somebody that knows a little more, because every time I go to the doctors they always tell me the same thing.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 11

It took almost a year for someone to finally determine that the sores in my mouth were lichen planus. It's partly my fault for waiting so long to ask for a referral to the periodontist. He knew right away. The tell tale sign for him was the white spiderweb like pattern on the inside of my cheeks as well as my red and inflamed, painful gums. He prescribed Flucinonide gel .5% to be applied to the gums 2-3 times per day. That is the first relief I have had. The soreness is much reduced and I am hopeful that I will regain some of the gum tissue I lost. My gums are much receded as well as very thin. I have been in treatment for a month. He has talked about a biopsy to rule out cancer, but no action yet.

Lichen Planus - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with lichen planus.
Lichen Planus - Diagnosis Question: What types of tests or exams led to a diagnosis of lichen planus?
Lichen Planus - Treatment Question: What forms of medical treatment, including medication, did you receive for lichen planus?
Lichen Planus - Prognosis Question: Discuss your experience with lichen planus. Have you had any recurrences?