Patient Comments: Lichen Planus - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms and signs of your lichen planus?

Comment from: malta, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 08

Lichen planopilaris is one of the worst condition you can have when you visit any doctor. They give many cures but nothing cures the condition. My scalp has been itching for six years and the hair is falling every day.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I am 59 years old and have had lichen planus for about 9 years. I am still waiting for it to go away. It started first in my mouth and my gums looked like lobsters. An oral surgeon diagnosed me with a punch biopsy. My dentist prescribed Protopic ointment which was prescribed to another patient of his who went to the Mayo clinic. I think stress definitely impacts the lichen planus. I have a doctor who is board certified in allergy and dermatology. We have tried cortisone oral rinses with limited success. The lichen planus has affected my gums to the point a couple of molars are ready to be extracted. I get teeth cleaned with sedation every three months. Avoiding all spicy foods or citrus helps. The pain and burning in my mouth varies in severity from barely noticeable to moderately severe. My lips burn and throb in addition to gum pain. Shortly after the gums became painful around 2002, I started to have the severely itching breakouts on my legs, arms, torso. I can't avoid scratching these things, and they bleed like crazy. I have taken periodic oral doses of steroids which help for awhile. Local injections of a lidocaine/steroid mixture seem to help the most to calm down specific areas. When the rash spots heal they turn a darker color. These fade very slightly over time. My dermatologist has a very kind PA who gives me a handful of injections when needed. Sleep was a big problem due to the itching until my doctor gave me a prescription for Vistaril pills. I also go through bottles of Benadryl (diphenhydramine).

Comment from: Silverfox44, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

Both my sister and I suffer from lichen planus. We both have it particularly on our backs. When I had it in my mouth a doctor told me to use Cepacol and it worked! At present I use a lotion bar made by Paradise Potpourri on the little blisters in my groin and it stops the itch and makes them go away for a while. A plain vinegar douche stops the itch in the vagina for at least a day or two. But, it does dry you out. I used apple cider vinegar on a paper towel on my back and the hard, crusty skin came off - it also gave me some relief. - My lichen started with a bug bite on my back. I drink 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in an 8 ounce glass of water daily. It makes you burp - but it relieves the suffering. I hope this helps someone out there.

Comment from: CDZ, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I am 58 year old and have suffered with lichen planus for many years. The lesions are on the left side of my mouth on my upper gums. I have smoked on and off over the last few years and that doesn't not seem to affect my breakouts (yes, I know I am an idiot for smoking for all of the reasons). I have discovered when brushing my teeth it is much better to not use toothpaste and to use warm water on my brush. I use a very small amount of baking soda. Stress is definitely the trigger for severe ulcers. I have been told by a specialist at a university medical center to cut out all sugar from my diet. I am on my fourth day of sugar withdrawals.

Comment from: sandeee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 16

I have been diagnosed with oral lichen planus and vaginal lichen sclerosis 2 years ago (although had symptoms before then). I use a diprisone ointment in both places and it does relieve it and at this stage keeps it under control. I have read that Hep C can attribute to this which I contracted in a work incident but that was 35 years ago. I have psoriasis also, I take vitamin D which also helps, good luck fellow sufferers.

Comment from: Jen, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 08

I am female 65 years, the lichen planus has been on my bottom lip for a year now. I cannot drink from a cup and have to use a straw. Have tried different creams and drugs but nothing seems to work. I despair of this at times - I wonder where I am going to end up, as my lip cannot keep blistering, sometimes I have 10 of these white sores on my lip, then they fall off it is then red and so sore, then within a day or two it has blistered over again, my mouth and nose seem to be affected to.

Lichen Planus - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with lichen planus.
Lichen Planus - Diagnosis Question: What types of tests or exams led to a diagnosis of lichen planus?
Lichen Planus - Treatment Question: What forms of medical treatment, including medication, did you receive for lichen planus?
Lichen Planus - Prognosis Question: Discuss your experience with lichen planus. Have you had any recurrences?