Patient Comments: Lichen Planus - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms and signs of your lichen planus?

Comment from: Martypants, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 07

I have suffered with oral lichen planus for 6 years now. I think that it is definitely stress related as just a few months ago after a stressful episode I started to get spots on my arms and the back of my legs. Exercises like running is a great stress reliever and I hope that this will ease my symptoms.

Comment from: Merreymae, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 02

My dentist said she sees lichen planus in women of a certain age. She believes it is because of low estrogen. When I take estrogen, it subsides. I was using a keratin shampoo when I got it on my arms. When I scrubbed my arms after shampooing or did not use the shampoo, it went away.

Comment from: Rae, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I have had lichen planus on the under right side of my tongue for about 5 years after I was put on hydroxychloroquine. The whitish eruptions are very painful. About 2 months ago the eruptions changed and the pain and the change in the eruptions and a node in my neck that was starting to swell sent me to my doctor. They did a biopsy and now I have squamous cell carcinoma of my tongue. I will be having surgery soon after going through clinical trials to shrink the tumor. After stopping the hydroxychloroquine the lichen planus is fading.

Comment from: Linda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

For over two years now, I have suffered from this awful malady. My body reacted to a medication for diabetes and after 9 months of misery, lichen planus was finally diagnosed. It first appeared as a rash on my thighs, front and back, with blisters that bled and bumps in my mouth and sores on my tongue. It quickly spread to my vagina, anus and labia. After removing all acidic foods for the last two years, I again tried tomatoes with no problems. I have added back most foods but have found that I still can't eat garlic or pineapple. The garlic triggered a nasty outbreak but I felt it immediately as my esophagus swelled making it difficult to swallow. Unfortunately, it affected my entire digestive tract and I am again suffering the intense itching and lesions in the genital area. I found that sucking on cinnamon or peppermint candies immediately reduces the swelling, bumps and lesions in my mouth. It burns but afterward the swelling is reduced. I am yet to find a relief for that.

Comment from: lorna, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 08

My experience with lichen planus began three years ago with the appearance of white patches on the inside of my cheeks. It was diagnosed by my dentist who sent me to a specialist. By the time I went, the disease had taken the form of painful, crater-like ulcers inside my mouth and raised blisters on my tongue. Like many seniors, I have been prescribed a number of medications, many of which cause a very dry mouth, and I suspect this is what started it. It dies down sometimes for a few days or weeks, but this last outbreak has gone on for months. It no sooner heals in one place than it erupts in another. I've been prescribed a special mouthwash but lately it hasn't been much help. Any acidic, spicy, even strong-flavored food, like nippy cheese, exacerbates the condition. I also have very sore and itchy flare-ups in the genital region.

Comment from: Trish831, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 07

I was diagnosed with lichen planus in the summer of 1977. I can't remember what the medicine was called but along with it I had to bathe in vinegar 3 times a day. They didn't know much about it and it was diagnosed by a dermatologist. It cleared up in 6 weeks and I had no recurrence of the scaly rash on my arms. However, I recently started getting vertical ridges on my fingernails and when I googled it I found it could be a symptom of lichen planus. Something to ponder.

Comment from: malta, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 08

Lichen planopilaris is one of the worst condition you can have when you visit any doctor. They give many cures but nothing cures the condition. My scalp has been itching for six years and the hair is falling every day.

Lichen Planus - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with lichen planus.
Lichen Planus - Diagnosis Question: What types of tests or exams led to a diagnosis of lichen planus?
Lichen Planus - Treatment Question: What forms of medical treatment, including medication, did you receive for lichen planus?
Lichen Planus - Prognosis Question: Discuss your experience with lichen planus. Have you had any recurrences?