Patient Comments: Lichen Planus - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with lichen planus.

Comment from: Julian , 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 17

This worked for me. I had lichen planus. I am a very fit and healthy 42 year old man. It happened after I accidentally punctured my leg, below my knee on a coffee table. It wouldn't heal, then it itched insanely, then the lesions came. They appeared below my knees, mostly on my calves. I had never seen something like this in my life. Then it was in my forearms, then hands. The itching and spreading was unbearable. I tried everything. Doctors, dermatologists, anti-itch creams, oatmeal baths, meditation, but nothing worked. Some things lessened the itching, but it wouldn't go away. One day I was so desperate that I got on a tanning bed and baked myself for a long time. It didn't work. Yes, I even took a bath in bleach water. Not a good idea. I was desperate. The itching became a way of life. I was embarrassed to wear shorts or short sleeves. One thing I knew was that heat, Jacuzzis, etc., helped infuse the itch and made it worse, or more lesions developed. One late night I came across a foreign Indian website of remedies. It said to consume turmeric and milk and that it cured skin disorders. Having nothing to lose, I bought over the counter turmeric powder. I was mixing a spoonful in a cup of milk every morning and just downing it. I tried this for a couple weeks (at the same time, after a year of dealing with this, I just mentally did my best to not stress about it. I tried to purposely laugh more). At first all was the same. Two weeks in and nothing was changing. About 30 days of still doing this, the turmeric got expensive so I bought over the counter pills and just took a couple of them with milk. That's when I noticed no more lesions were emanating. The ones I had itched less. By the 2nd month they stopped. The itching stopped and finally, the lesions became scabs. It all stopped and faded. It's been 2 years. I only have scars in certain areas, but they diminished. About 5 months ago, I began itching behind my calves again. Four lesions appeared. They itched. I panicked and quickly bought turmeric pills. I reminded myself to not stress but most importantly, I did everything in my power to not scratch. This makes it worse. I took two pills in the morning again. Within a week, they dried up again, became scabs and disappeared. They quickly went away. It's been 5 months. I don't know if this works for everyone, but it's worked for me. I am not the type to share stories on blogs, etc. but I feel I owe my knowledge to others whom this might work for because I know how bad lichen planus can make one feel. The itch, pain and agony is not something I wish on anyone. Hope this helps others. Stay positive please.

Comment from: Dan, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 07

After taking Harvoni treatment for hepatitis C I was cured, but as soon as I was cured I got lichen planus. Toe nails and finger nails gone, blisters in my mouth and all over my feet and shins for over a year now without 1 day of relief. Up until now I lived a good healthy life living with hepatitis C but liver wasn't damaged and never needed to see a doctor for years. Now I have been hospitalized at least 12 times with internal bleeding that happens, well, used to be every 2 months but now it has moved up to every 2 weeks. I have tried everything you people have used, but nothing has helped me. I am losing this fight just like the other 500 plus people that died from this wonder drug. Please don't take the risk, ask for something else.

Comment from: Kate, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I have oral lichen planus. I do not eat sugar, gluten or most grains. I also use something called Silvercillin from Designs for Health. You can order it on Amazon. I use the spray for my mouth (I swish and spit it out) and the gel for anything on my body that itches. Try it. It might help.

Comment from: Nat, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

I broke my foot in November of 2015. After my cast was removed in January 2016 I noticed some lesions on my ankle. I asked my doctor about it, and he said it was just bruised and gave me some ointment to put on it. Within a month or two the lesions had spread to my other ankle and the lower parts of both legs. I started getting them on both of my arms, then they spread to my torso and my chest. Then eventually they spread to my thighs. I am thankful they have not spread to my face. I am in such agony all the time with itching. It's hard not to scratch, and I do scratch them. They are leaving scars. My dermatologist who diagnosed them as lichen planus gave me an ointment called triamcinolone acetonide ointment, but it really doesn't help. I was also prescribed cyclosporine, but it aggravated the rash. I had a full blood panel done to check for hepatitis C and other things, but they were all negative. After the period of diagnosis I was also diagnosed as type 2 diabetic. I was having a little success in them settling down and not spreading. But, I took a long trip to see my kids and grandkids (driving for 15 hours) and when I came back home, they spread 10 fold. I am at the end of my rope! I will be seeing my doctor again next week, and I am hoping to ask him to put me on disability. I am tired of people staring at me like I am some drug addict because of the way my arms look.

Lichen Planus - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your lichen planus?
Lichen Planus - Diagnosis Question: What types of tests or exams led to a diagnosis of lichen planus?
Lichen Planus - Treatment Question: What forms of medical treatment, including medication, did you receive for lichen planus?
Lichen Planus - Prognosis Question: Discuss your experience with lichen planus. Have you had any recurrences?