Patient Comments: Lichen Planus - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with lichen planus.

Comment from: shinobuzz, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

It all started 11 years back when I was 13 and tried my first hair removal treatment. Before that I had mild acne issues and was following a treatment at my local dermatologist. He was continuously providing me creams and medicines but there was no amelioration. Above all, my parents and I had no clue why my "so thought eczema" wasn"t going. Two years ago I found out by another dermatologist that it was called lichen planus and was returned with the same treatment. Till today it's a nightmare for me. Itchiness and dry skin form part of my daily life and my only way to ease my pain now is just moisturizing the skin though it is very tempting to scratch.

Comment from: positive, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

I started with a rash across my stomach. The doctor said it was possibly from some article of clothing. This was in December 2013. Within a week it had spread to my back, then on to my legs. A biopsy was taken, lichen planus came up. Cortisone cream was prescribed for me (a waste of time), also this thins the skin; not good. My rash is now fading after using a vitamin E cream for dry, itchy skin. I have cut down on alcohol, I am watching my diet, and trying very hard not to get stressed. I know, easier said than done!

Comment from: lpgehrt, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I was diagnosed with lichen planus 4 years ago, in my genital area, at the same time I was diagnosed with it on the inside of my cheeks and on my gums. A technician pulled me aside and said it might be helpful to use hydrogen peroxide as a mouth wash. I did this and to my surprise it helped in my mouth. Earlier this year I was diagnosed with lichen planopilaris which has caused alopecia. I wish they would find a cure!

Comment from: KATER, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I am female, aged 64, I am retired now from working in office setting for about 38 years. At age 48 I was diagnosed with lichen planus by the dentist, after suffering for about six years. Previous dentist said I had gingivitis. Not so. The new dentist said to take echinacea with goldenseal root, and another herb which I'm unable to recall at this time (I don't have medical records with me). Since the original cure, fast forward to today and I've developed another form of lichen planus on my wrists, forearms and ankles, also under armpits. I used echinacea with goldenseal and 3 weeks later all itching stopped. Scars on ankles, wrists, forearms, and armpits are gray or purple. Now I am looking for bleaching cream to help fade scars. By this submission, I hope others may benefit.

Comment from: HELPING, 35-44 (Patient) Published: March 26

I have been having lichen planus for over 13 years, I couldn"t understand what it was in the beginning. And now, after having a white lines inside my mouth and some white rings on my penis, I started losing hair and my nails started to get different, red spots that itch... I understand everyone out there. I would like to share my experience with you. I have made a lot of research in my country and talked to many professors. Most of the people that have this problem, are people under stress or have a problem of getting angry very quickly. Ok, here is what I got to understand from having this disease. Start With a diet for three months, where you do 1) not drink alcohol, 2) not eat citrus fruits, have no garlic, 3) not eat potatoes, rice, pasta or regular bread, 4) not eat sugar, cakes, chocolates, cola. etc., 5) have no salt at all, 6) have no oil of any kind and 7) not eat steak or any kind of meat either. The problem is that we have an imbalance in our body, and we need to re-balance it back to normal. As I mentioned 3 months and after that you need to see the results, you might need to do another 3 months. That is the price we have to pay to get back to normal. What we can eat is 1) buckwheat and dark healthy bread, 2) green vegetables raw or cooked without salt, 3) any kind of cooked meat, 4) milk products and eggs, 5) omega 3 oil or tablets, 6) everyday drink a glass of ginger cut it into slices and put into boiled water, and steeped for around 12 hours. 7) The most important thing is to avoid stress, and avoid getting angry, I do not how do you plan to do that, but you have to. 8) Getting enough sunlight is something that helps too.

Lichen Planus - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your lichen planus?
Lichen Planus - Diagnosis Question: What types of tests or exams led to a diagnosis of lichen planus?
Lichen Planus - Treatment Question: What forms of medical treatment, including medication, did you receive for lichen planus?
Lichen Planus - Prognosis Question: Discuss your experience with lichen planus. Have you had any recurrences?