Patient Comments: Lichen Planus - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with lichen planus.

Comment from: Mareco, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I was diagnosed 9 months ago, but have had lichen planus for over a year now. And it is all over my body, I'm more stressed from the constant itching and the damage to my skin than the stress of my job. I have to walk around in Texas heat with long sleeves and long pants when I do go out of the house. I'm depressed and tired of being on useless steroid, shots, pills, and creams. I can't sleep and I'm miserable day and night from the itch.

Comment from: Mandy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I had lichen planus on my palms, wrist and elbow crease, then it appeared on my feet, ankles and on the creases of my eye lids and around my lips. It then appeared in my mouth and made it very sore. The rash just disappeared some years later but what I found to be a relief and a miraculous clear-up, having tried all the medications, was cherry yogurt. I spread it around in my mouth for relief and a few days later my symptoms eased. I still have scarring some ten years later in my mouth but the skin cleared totally.

Comment from: Lesa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I have had lichen planus for about 4 years but was just recently diagnosed. Steroid pills and cream offered little to no relief, and my allergist started me on a prescription of an immune suppressant medication called cyclosporine about 2 weeks ago. My rash is almost gone, along with the itching, and for the first time in years my skin is beginning to look normal again. Could not be happier!

Comment from: Sweetne, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

My dermatologist did two biopsies of areas of my skin due to dark spotting on face, arms, and chest. One biopsy showed lichen planus. One showed lupus of the skin. I tried steroid shot, Plaquenil, and cream, did not work. I went to see a panel of 20 or so dermatologists who said it was one or the other. I put on sun screen all day. I put on Tri-Luma and Finacea every day and night. I still have new spotting. Dermatologist has no new suggestions.

Comment from: LP, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I have lichen planopilaris. No medications or treatments helped. The best thing for me was to eliminate chemicals on my scalp, e.g. shampoos, cream rinses, chlorine, and all hair products. I wash my hair with baking soda and chlorine-free water. I had a whole house water filtration system installed in my home. After doing this, my dermatologist said she had never seen my scalp look so good and that I no longer need to see her. I do take medication to minimize stress.

Comment from: mbe, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 21

I have had lichen planus for 36 years. It started at age 17 and lasted for 2 years then it went away. It came back in small patches and now at 46 it came with a vengeance all over my entire body except my face and vaginal area. I am at my wits' end because I can never be having clear skin on my arms. My legs are fine but my arms are very bad. I am itching so badly and I cannot take Benadryl every day, it will make me sleepy. It is a very bad skin condition and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. I wish it would go away forever for me. I feel I had it long enough.

Comment from: lorraine, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I am 51 years old and during Christmas 2014 I started getting little blister like spots all over my legs ankles and feet. Doctors gave me several medications and creams but nothing worked. Finally a doctor diagnosed me with lichen planus and I am currently waiting to see a skin specialist. All my life I have grown up never getting spots so I was really worried when these started popping up and to say they are painful is an understatement. My job as a school cleaner means I am on my feet all the time and the bottom of my feet are very painful. Just recently the top of my right foot swelled up to twice its size due to an infection through my scratching which has now caused cellulitis. It is nice to know I am not alone with this condition but it has taken over my life.

Lichen Planus - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your lichen planus?
Lichen Planus - Diagnosis Question: What types of tests or exams led to a diagnosis of lichen planus?
Lichen Planus - Treatment Question: What forms of medical treatment, including medication, did you receive for lichen planus?
Lichen Planus - Prognosis Question: Discuss your experience with lichen planus. Have you had any recurrences?