Patient Comments: Lichen Planus - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with lichen planus.

Comment from: gjmoomin, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I am newly diagnosed with lichen planus after months of seeking help from my doctor for relief from intensely itchy soles of the feet and ankles. When the rash came out on my arms too, I asked to see a dermatologist, as I had wound my way through tubes of hydrocortisone cream with no effect. Within minutes, my dermatologist had given me a name and suggested relief. The Elocon cream doesn't seem to have made much difference yet, but using the Flexitol cream on my feet has made them more comfortable. I was fearing for my job before: As a nurse working 12-hour shifts, my feet couldn't cope and kept me awake for much of the night with the itching.

Comment from: Tracy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

About eight months ago, I noticed a small raised patch on my shoulder. It was itchy, and within a short period, it got larger. So I saw my doctor who referred me to the local hospital. After having to wait for nearly two months to see a dermatologist, he diagnosed me with lichen planus and prescribed a hydrocortisone cream that made the itchiness even worse. Two months passed before my next appointment. By this time, the patch had become twice as big, and there were some small rashes breaking in a line away from the main spot. This time a Protopic cream was prescribed. Though I am following the prescription, the rash is spreading at am alarming rate and still very itchy. So during my recent visit to the dermatologist I asked if a biopsy could be carried out. He was some what reluctant about my request and kept mentioning scar and keloid. I had to stand my ground, so in two weeks time a biopsy will be carried out. I need peace of mind.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I have had lichen planus for two years now. My first symptoms were the lacy white rash in my mouth that hurt and a few small bumps on my wrist, ankles, and abdomen that itched. I went to the doctor immediately that day and right away they wanted to treat me for thrush. This went on for two months. They gave me different medications that made me sick and didn't do anything for my symptoms. I finally went to an ENT doctor and he knew what it was right away but performed a biopsy just to be sure. I still get a few bumps here and there, my mouth will hurt sometimes, and the taste of food is compromised. I have noticed though, if I stay away from certain foods, my rash and the lesions in my mouth disappear.

Comment from: Curious, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 24

I was diagnosed with lichen planus in my mouth almost five years ago. Right about the same time, I was told I had multiple sclerosis. After having a biopsy taken by my dentist, he referred me to a dermatologist who treated me with steroids, mouth wash and various other medications. Finally, he put me on triamcinolone cream, and it was like magic. I have not needed to use it for almost two years now. My dermatologist also told me that the medication that I am on for my multiple sclerosis has proven to be partially responsible. I was scared to death because my mother had passed from cancer of the mouth.

Comment from: GrandmaS, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 24

I was just told I had lichen planus after a biopsy on the right side of my neck. I just had a little sore there, but when they did the biopsy, I now have a rash all over my neck and even down my chest. They gave me cortisone cream, which doesn't seem to help although it has been a few days. I had just had it in my mouth for a month and two dentists and two doctors didn't come up with diagnoses. Thank God I asked to see a dermatologist. Although she spent about five minutes with me when she told me what I had. She gave me medication and told me to take a pill by mouth if I itch, and I don't. I have never heard of lichen planus before but it looks terrible.

Comment from: Karen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

I've had lichen planus for about six years now, and it makes it hard for me to wear foot wear such as boots and shoes. I have it on my lower legs and feet and on the tops and bottoms of my hands. It is hard to walk at times. If I stay in the sun too long, it feels as if it is on fire. My dermatologist said there is no known cure for it. It just has to run its course. I was told it flares up if I consume too much caffeine or get upset, as these are common triggers. But it's the itching that gets really bad. And it can bleed if I scratch too much. I've used all the itch creams out there and they don't work. I'm just about at the end of my rope with this. It's very frustrating when it appears.

Lichen Planus - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your lichen planus?
Lichen Planus - Diagnosis Question: What types of tests or exams led to a diagnosis of lichen planus?
Lichen Planus - Treatment Question: What forms of medical treatment, including medication, did you receive for lichen planus?
Lichen Planus - Prognosis Question: Discuss your experience with lichen planus. Have you had any recurrences?