Patient Comments: Lichen Planus - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with lichen planus.

Comment from: Alice, (Patient) Published: November 12

My primary doctor said I had scabies. I was so upset, and my husband and I went through our whole house cleaning and taking baths by the numbers. The money we spent on medicine cream and the hundreds of washing we did! My skin got so bad I went to a specialist. He took a biopsies and when it came back it showed it was lichen planus, lichenoid dermatosis. What a road trip we been on, crazy!

Comment from: Hopeless, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I have just found out that I have lichen planus and feeling very worried. I have had the breakout for about two months and I'm afraid for the future. I have lichen planus just about all over my body, hands and feet. The worst is I have this in my mouth too. I don't understand a lot about this but it seemed hopeless.

Comment from: Jaden, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 01

I have been told by a physician that I could possibly have lichen planus. I have also been told that I have Graves' disease. I am struggling with the doctors that we have here as they have not seen a case so advanced and yet the patient is still so active. My LP has not spread beyond my ankles (but it has spread from one to both) and I have had the issue for more than four years. I realize that a topical vitamin E ointment may help; but I have yet to find one that works and is affordable.

Comment from: shenry433, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 01

I was diagnosed with lichen planus 35 years ago by skin biopsy. It never went into remission. Last January saw an article about night shade vegetables being a possible cure. I was willing to try anything at that point. My lesions slowly disappeared. I have been rash free for 4 months. No more itching!

Comment from: Sandy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I was diagnosed with lichen planus in 1986. I suffered for two years with purple scar-like lesions on my hands, ankles, legs and the bottom of my feet. I finally went to a civilian doctor (I was in the military) and in 20 minutes, he had his nurse inject them, and they were gone in 3 days! In 2012, I was deployed to Afghanistan and had to take malaria pills. I have noticed since then that I have chronic breakouts of rashes. They look sort of like lichen planus, in that they leave dark spots on my body for years, but the rash itself lasts perhaps 3-14 days. But, when it returns, they return in the same place, i.e. on my hand, my legs, and arms.

Comment from: Bonnie, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I have lost all my hair and fingernails and toe nails. I was diagnosed with lichen planus, I have the itching and dry skin, but have not experienced the rash.

Comment from: Snow, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I have been diagnosed with oral lichen planus about a year ago. It was under control for a long time, now it's back a little more. It's sore and it started bleeding when I put the cream on it. It seemed like a blister was there for a long time and it broke now. I'm a little nervous about why it is bleeding.

Comment from: Jean, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I had an ulcer on the right side of my tongue, in March 2012. Since then I have had very many sores on the tongue and inside of the cheeks. Now the inside of my cheeks have huge crater like sores. Sometimes I find my tongue so sore that I have difficulty in eating. I have lost 17kg in weight in this time. My doctor says there is nothing that can be done, and not to go back to him. This has been continuous since March 2012. Now it is November 2013. He did take a swab for a biopsy at the beginning, which proved not to be cancer. I also have terrible rash on my back, which is quite painful.

Lichen Planus - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your lichen planus?
Lichen Planus - Diagnosis Question: What types of tests or exams led to a diagnosis of lichen planus?
Lichen Planus - Treatment Question: What forms of medical treatment, including medication, did you receive for lichen planus?
Lichen Planus - Prognosis Question: Discuss your experience with lichen planus. Have you had any recurrences?